Yamaha F225 Problems?

Kenlahr

Reaction score
WOW

I have twin 2002 F225's, right in the zone that was described. I have seen no indications of a problem. Sounds like I had better start watching closer. This year I also started using Saltaway during the flush. We have always flushed after EVERY run, hopefully that makes a difference. There was a good question on running the enging or keeping it off using the flush port makes a difference. This is something that needs watching, it sounds very widespread.

Bill_N

Reaction score
I have twin 2002 F225's also. I flush after every trip and have 355 hrs on mine and haven't had any issues.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I like the threads:

"Dick Cheney must be involved".

"I'm getting the extended warranty today!"

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That "other site" hit bottom and started to dig.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, it is a real problem that can occur. Mostly from a never flush situation.

Brad1

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but it must be strictly a saltwater related issue. My 2003 F225 was still like new when I sold it earlier this month, but it had never seen salt. That was one sweeeet motor. Best motor I ever owned.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I read this and was concerned so I called Yamaha and discussed it with them. They said simply "Flush your engine after every use in salt water". If you don't flush and have a 2003 F225 or earlier - you're asking for trouble.
Note there are thousands of F225's out there and they all aren't failing due to corroded exhaust manifolds. Agreeably, 2003 F225's and earlier ones are more exposed to salt water corrosion (the 2004 and above models have better paint and coatings). However, with regular flushing, you should be okay. No need to fret about it. Use the thing and if you experience overheat conditions NOT related to poppit valves(aka PCV) , thermostats or water pumps - then you (and I ) will cross that bridge when we come to it... Good luck! Jack - Owner of two 2003 F225's with 1,100 hours and running strong (and cool).

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
HMBJack said:
I read this and was concerned so I called Yamaha and discussed it with them. They said simply "Flush your engine after every use in salt water". If you don't flush and have a 2003 F225 or earlier - you're asking for trouble.
Note there are thousands of F225's out there and they all aren't failing due to corroded exhaust manifolds. Agreeably, 2003 F225's and earlier ones are more exposed to salt water corrosion (the 2004 and above models have better paint and coatings). However, with regular flushing, you should be okay. No need to fret about it. Use the thing and if you experience overheat conditions NOT related to poppit valves(aka PCV) , thermostats or water pumps - then you (and I ) will cross that bridge when we come to it... Good luck! Jack - Owner of two 2003 F225's with 1,100 hours and running strong (and cool).

Thats good to know. I have always flushed alot more then whats recommended..About 1/2 hr per engine and it gets flushed EVERYTIME its exposed to saltwater.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Thanks Guys for the responses. It seems no one on this site has had this problem. That's encouraging. I also bet Grady owners in general are pretty anal about taking care of our rigs.

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Any ideas for flushing for those of us on moorings?

I have my fresh water cockpit outlet setup to flush, but the pressure seems a bit weak...

Kenlahr

Reaction score
I use the fresh water tank on the boat all of the time. I have a hose with a "T" that does both yamahas at once. As long as you got water coming out the "P" hole you are good. I would also recomend that you put a Salt Away attachment on there and flush with Salt Away. It DOES make a difference.

Fintango

Reaction score
I have a 33 Express with twin F225s and recently had dry exhaust corrosion on both engines These are 2004 engines and flushing would not have prevented the problem as it began on the dry exhaust side and rotted over into the wet cooling side. The first hint was a low speed over heat alarm and while I haven't gotten the bill yet it appears to be in the 6k range. Yamaha will do nothing to help. The new parts have a different coating on them so I suspect and hope the problem has been fixed. Fingers are crossed. I am very disappointed in Yamaha's response. It was clear that they were aware of the problem but were doing nothing to help their customers.

SlimJim

Reaction score
Fintango said:
I have a 33 Express with twin F225s and recently had dry exhaust corrosion on both engines These are 2004 engines and flushing would not have prevented the problem as it began on the dry exhaust side and rotted over into the wet cooling side. The first hint was a low speed over heat alarm and while I haven't gotten the bill yet it appears to be in the 6k range. Yamaha will do nothing to help. The new parts have a different coating on them so I suspect and hope the problem has been fixed. Fingers are crossed. I am very disappointed in Yamaha's response. It was clear that they were aware of the problem but were doing nothing to help their customers.
Thats crazy. Sorry to hear this. I hope Yamaha makes this up to you, 6k? wow. How many hours do you have on the engines? 2004 engines?

HMBJack

Reaction score
Fintango's experience is not unique...

Tick, tick, tick -- I think it only a matter of time that many of us face the same predicament. This is a very sad but true condition in these V6's.

And I read it before that FW flushing does NOT delay or prevent the corrosion from happening. The three star emission motors seem to have less of this problem but they too are not immune. I have 1,144 hours on my two star F225's (model year 2003) however only the last 144 have been in the salt so maybe I'll get a few years out of them before I have to pay BIG to have them repaired or replaced.

Bama96

Reaction score
So the 2004 models are not immune? We all thought the 2003 and prior were the ones with the old coatings. Anyone know what manufacture date the coatings changed?

Fintango

Reaction score
Sorry so long getting back with you. The final bill was $6600+ change. The boat had 670 hours on it and Yamaha refused to even give me the parts at cost. They produced a defective product and know that in my view. I am going to look into developing a class for a products liability suit in that the product wasn't fit for the purpose intended. At the very least I will expose Yamaha for this clear product failure that they refuse to take responsibility for. My motors were flushed regularly and serviced by the dealer. I was told that nothing that I could have done would have prevented this except not using the motors. That really wasn't why I spent $50k for them only 5 years ago. I am very disappointed with Yamaha to say the least.

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Update

First, I contacted my trusted GW dealer who sold me my first three Grady's. I asked him what's up. He said there is a problem as described on THT. They have fixed many motors, mostly up to 2003 although they have had 2005 fail also. He said they cannot determine any pattern in use that may cause the problem, l.e., flush not flush, offshore vs. casual day use, brackish versus salt, trolling versus planing. If you purchased YES, Yamaha much more likely to help. He also said there are many motors with no problems.

Given this, I decided to have my current GW dealer, Atlangtic Marine, go ahead and check my engines, 2004 F225's manufactured in 10/03 and 03/04 with 500 hours. Luckily, I have no sign of corrosion on either motor.

I guess we just have to keep our fingers crossed, do our best maintenance and hope for good luck