Yamaha F250 vs. Honda BF250?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’ve got a 30 inch Suzuki DF250 on my Seafarer, been running it for 3 years, just crazy amount of torque. I had Yamahas for over 20 years but made the switch to Suzuki, so far very impressed.
How does the 30" shaft work on your boat? I thought all Seafarer's used a 25" shaft outboard?

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How does the 30" shaft work on your boat? I thought all Seafarer's used a 25" shaft outboard?
Well good question, the Seafarer I bought in December 2019 was from an insurance auction in Vancouver BC from the previous owner hitting something and tearing the outboard from the pod. The upper horns from the factory pod were toast so my son in law fabricated a bracket to bolt onto the top and front of the pod. I had to replace the motors and was lucky to find a 200 hr 2012 DF250 which was a 30 inch shaft. Here‘s a picture of the new bracket before the outboard being mounted.

Attachments

• 26A345C1-C2C7-48CB-A8F1-2FC3C5EF5B17.jpeg
    26A345C1-C2C7-48CB-A8F1-2FC3C5EF5B17.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Reactions: Mustang65fbk

isurus22

Reaction score
I have a 1988 Seafarer 228G with a 2003 Honda. It has been bulletproof. Not one issue in 18 years! That been said it was much heavier than the 2 stroke it replaced and changes the balance of the boat. Mind you it is a 1988 hull. I also have a 330 express with Yamaha 300s. The yamahas are lighter and have been really good engines. I would see which ones they can get you quicker. I wouldn't feel bad with either choice, but I might lean a little yamaha due to weight, and keeping the boat looking "original"

Reactions: Capt. Mike

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think that Yamaha with their blue/gray coloring is definitely the best looking outboard on the market currently, but I do also really like the look of the white colored Suzuki outboards as well, especially on a Grady White. I'm a pretty frugal person so I like to save money when I can as well as look for the best deal out there, of which from everything that I've read about Suzuki you can typically get one for considerably less money than the Yamaha and with a better warranty.

Reactions: Capt. Mike

Dancing Crab

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Success! Every boat challenge has a story, right?

We found a new F250 in stock at Anderson's Marine in Old Hickory, TN in early November, settled arrangements to purchase, and they were going to ship (for $900) to my marina in DC to install. Then their Yamaha rep stepped in to say they could not ship outside their sales region, even to another Yamaha dealer. But if I showed up in their driveway, they would do it. So I made plans to trailer to Tennessee. Then, the day before I planned to leave, Somers Point Marina (NJ) called to say an F250 they had ordered in 2021 had just arrived. That would have cost $1600+ more in sales tax. (Tenn had no sales tax.) Well, having never been to Nashville, we decided the to go for it and had a great time while the County Music Awards were going on at the same time. A memorable trip for many reasons, all good.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Glad to see it worked out for you. That is an excellent motor and many have been manufactured. Good luck with the new engine.

benny13

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have limited knowledge on this but am currently considering a repower on my seafarer and the thing that will sway me Yamaha is the Helm master setup. They have the option now to use single motor helm master which is something I have considered for a long time because I frequently go jigging on Lake Superior for lakers and being able to stay in one spot with ease is way more fish In the bag and way more fun and frees everyone up to fish instead of having to constantly move the boat back in for a drift. Apart from the single motor helm master, everything I have read seems to show they are all good.