Yeti-Set-Go!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Well we do need storage for spare anchors and chain when people go on one way sightseeing tours far offshore... :oops:

In reality we need a lot of ice to chill yellowfin tuna quickly to maintain quality. The general rule for sashimi grade fish is to brine it with a 2:1 ratio of ice to fish. During the summer you can have days with multiple fish over 100 lbs so you need a lot of ice. Most of the locally designed boats here (24-30’) carry 400+ lbs of ice so the fishbox I have realistically has space for a couple of small to medium ahi or one big one before I have to head back in.
And you can take some yard trash out too. I would love to catch some Yellowfin. I have caught black fin. Slit their throats ,let them bleed out on the deck and put them on ice. We grilled it , no sushi for me. Lol.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Was out solo today, will take some time getting used to remembering there is a cooler in the middle of the deck.

Will be interesting to see what my feeling is in a couple months. Some good pluses and minuses :rolleyes:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
When solo, can you turn it sideways in the middle of the deck, that way it's not as in the way as crossways in the middle of the deck? Longways on the fuel tank hatch would be more user friendly allowing access along both gunnels to work a fish.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
When solo, can you turn it sideways in the middle of the deck, that way it's not as in the way as crossways in the middle of the deck? Longways on the fuel tank hatch would be more user friendly allowing access along both gunnels to work a fish.
Will definitely try that if the "Pavlov's Dog" learning technique doesn't pan out.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Was out solo today, will take some time getting used to remembering there is a cooler in the middle of the deck.

Will be interesting to see what my feeling is in a couple months. Some good pluses and minuses :rolleyes:

maybe put stickers on padding on it with a contrasting color so it stands out? I can see it being convenient but also a tripping hazard since it’s still not too tall.

And you can take some yard trash out too. I would love to catch some Yellowfin. I have caught black fin. Slit their throats ,let them bleed out on the deck and put them on ice. We grilled it , no sushi for me. Lol.

I think the bloodier/more oily tuna (spotted/skipjack) taste better if bled, brined, and consumed as fresh as possible. They can be an acquired taste, though. I’ll sear them in a hot pan or with a kitchen torch for those who aren’t as comfortable with sashimi. A black/red pepper crust and a little bit of oil along with a drizzle of soy sauce and sesame oils help to offset any fishy taste.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Out today with a buddy, first thing he did was rotate cooler sideways so his lazy butt didn't have to move to open the cooler from the jump seat.

As Ky suggested, it did create a better flow on the deck.

Will keep it this way for a bit :rolleyes:.

20200614_142144.jpg

Reactions: Ky Grady