Yeti-Set-Go!

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Bought a Yeti Tundra 105 to keep on boat deck.

Will see if it will be workable. I wanted to spend a ridiculous amount of money lol.

It's heavy enough to not move around on its own is the real reason why I took the plunge.

If it gets in the way too much, well I will use it camping. Need to give it some time, but I like the seat cushion, and the height too. The Grady jump seats are low. I always feel like the teacher put me in a time out when I sit in them o_O.

20200604_185017.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Summertop511

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Now that is a cooler!! What will you use it for, drinks, fishbox? Not sure I'd leave it turned that way, be a pain to walk around every time going to the back. I have a 45 that I will put onboard when I need to, but it's strictly for drinks and cold food. It fits nicely in front of the baitwell and somewhat out of the way. I'll throw a bag of ice in the fish box under the captains chair and use it as that. If it's just me and one other person out fishing, I'll use a 20 and sit it in front of the companion chair and they use it for a footrest.

IMG_2019.JPG

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Bought a Yeti Tundra 105 to keep on boat deck.

Will see if it will be workable. I wanted to spend a ridiculous amount of money lol.

It's heavy enough to not move around on its own is the real reason why I took the plunge.

If it gets in the way too much, well I will use it camping. Need to give it some time, but I like the seat cushion, and the height too. The Grady jump seats are low. I always feel like the teacher put me in a time out when I sit in them o_O.

View attachment 13734

The wife bought me a Yeti 105 about 4 yrs ago. Its too big for my 20ft boat so it sits on the patio in the back since day 1 and we use it for parties.
Its a beast.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I know i can online research, but what is the special qualities of a yeti??

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I know i can online research, but what is the special qualities of a yeti??

The "special" part is its roto-mold construction. Many other cooler brands use the same method, and are less expensive
Then of course there is the quality hinge, the sturdy feet that can accept wheels, the divider slots molded inside, the upper basket, and the slots on the sides where accessories like a pole holder can be mounted.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a one as well, kids bought it for me for my birthday. They sure are nice! I just have not found the room on my 208 to use it. I typically use a large fish bag or the built in cooler for carrying my ice.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yeti mugs will keep drinks cold for 2 days in the GA heat. That's huge for me.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
D7D234EE-DF44-4ACA-BB9D-EFFCD118FF1B.jpeg
Sorry for the bad picture/lighting. 5’x2’x2’ fiberglass fishbox lives on my 208. Can’t risk 250+ lbs of fishbox, ice, and (hopefully) fish sliding around on deck so it has aluminum angle brackets on all 4 sides and is strapped down fore/aft. Yeti/rotomolded keep ice better but lose a lot of interior volume due to thick walls (but they’re so pretty ;))

Also doubles as a seat and prevents people from flying across the entire cockpit in rough water. Added SeaDek to the lid for more comfort.

Any cooler over 50 lbs get strapped down; I’ve seen even Yeti’s slide when it gets rough enough.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Didn't know what to think, but turns out to be a nice addition for my needs. So far using it for food, drinks, and stashing what others bring on too.

There were 5 of us out today, didn't feel like any of us were fighting it to get around.

Will sit with it a while "as is". Maybe it will switch to a fish box down the road. No rush to decide right away :cool:

35596.jpeg

Last edited:

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Water looks great and the layout of that 228 is awesome! Hope the fish cooperated!

Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Water looks great and the layout of that 228 is awesome! Hope the fish cooperated!
Yes! Posted pics in the fishing reports.
Looks like there is less room around the cooler than there really is. Angle of the camera I think.
Anway, was stoked the two new holes I put in the hull for the new livewell and washdown didn't leak water. Checked those before we left the dock.
The wind was gusting to 45 mph as soon as we came off the lake. Mountain weather :eek:.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
That model has so much fishing room....shame to cover it up.

Seems you mostly troll so it might not be so bad.

I laid down the law...no more coolers. I have a built-in fishbox that can hold 250 pounds of ice. The livewell does duty as a smaller cooler(and its huge).

We still struggle with buckets...and lately there has been a basket with anchor line and grapple anchors...drives me crazy.....damn SW washdown hose.....uuuugh!

When we get covered up in mahi and we dance them port & stbd and we just fling 'em into the fishbox and keep going...no tripping.....heaven!

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Trade offs....

Then you buy a bigger boat to store all that crap with bigger engines and things look good till you have to pony up for the first tank of gas.

I hate stuff lying everywhere, for sure harder to manage with guests who have a different agenda ;)

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes! Posted pics in the fishing reports.
Looks like there is less room around the cooler than there really is. Angle of the camera I think.
Anway, was stoked the two new holes I put in the hull for the new livewell and washdown didn't leak water. Checked those before we left the dock.
The wind was gusting to 45 mph as soon as we came off the lake. Mountain weather :eek:.
From that pic, it does look like you have room. Camera angle can play tricks on you with perception.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Rounding out our Yeti test group was an Eagle Scout I had the honor of working with. He is home for a week, just completed his first year at the Air Force Academy.

20200606_081854.jpg

Reactions: Bloodweiser

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
Love my Yeti and Engel coolers.

Attachments

• 20200606_132701.jpg
    20200606_132701.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
Reactions: leeccoll

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
View attachment 13738
Sorry for the bad picture/lighting. 5’x2’x2’ fiberglass fishbox lives on my 208. Can’t risk 250+ lbs of fishbox, ice, and (hopefully) fish sliding around on deck so it has aluminum angle brackets on all 4 sides and is strapped down fore/aft. Yeti/rotomolded keep ice better but lose a lot of interior volume due to thick walls (but they’re so pretty ;))

Also doubles as a seat and prevents people from flying across the entire cockpit in rough water. Added SeaDek to the lid for more comfort.

Any cooler over 50 lbs get strapped down; I’ve seen even Yeti’s slide when it gets rough enough.
So, just asking for a friend, do you work for the "mob" and handle " special jobs" for them time to time? You know make special deliveries offshore that can never be found again? That's a beast of cooler there.

• Haha
Reactions: ECO and Holokai

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I bought a knock off from some dudes in Texas called South Jetty. I call it my South Yeti . It's a 65 and we take it boat camping and car camping with us. I think the 228 has a lot of cockpit space but when I go fishing a handful times of the year,I leave the South Yeti at the dock. I want my deck clear so when I catch Moby Dick or my first blue marlin I have space to fight and land it.

For the record I am not anti Yeti, my wife though is anti spend money especially on a "ice chest".

Reactions: ECO

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
So, just asking for a friend, do you work for the "mob" and handle " special jobs" for them time to time? You know make special deliveries offshore that can never be found again? That's a beast of cooler there.

Well we do need storage for spare anchors and chain when people go on one way sightseeing tours far offshore... :oops:

In reality we need a lot of ice to chill yellowfin tuna quickly to maintain quality. The general rule for sashimi grade fish is to brine it with a 2:1 ratio of ice to fish. During the summer you can have days with multiple fish over 100 lbs so you need a lot of ice. Most of the locally designed boats here (24-30’) carry 400+ lbs of ice so the fishbox I have realistically has space for a couple of small to medium ahi or one big one before I have to head back in.