Hookup,
Your original post peeked my curiosity so I began some exploratory investigation on my '98 248 Voyager. I pulled the motors, removed the aluminum angle channel, the vinyl / plastic piece that covers the internal bracket, and cleaned out as much of the white, factory filler / binder as I could. After through inspection I did not find any indication of blistering, bulging or cracking on the transom exterior.
There is certainly a desire to look no further and just get to rebuilding the transom cap using G/flex, Coosa and fabric glass. However, based on this post and others, should I keep investigating? I can't have the only late 90s Grady without a transom issue, right? The fact that the bracket may compensate for structural wood rot does not provide much confidence, especially if offshore.
I do not put much stock in moisture meters. Do you have other moisture testing methods to recommend?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Forget the moisture meter. A 20 yo boat is "wet".
You want to know if the wood is separated from the glass, if the plys are separating from each other, or if the wood is mush.
The best way to see that is at holes in the boat...scuppers and motor mount bolt holes. (or bracket mounting holes)
Remove them and look at the wood. Scrape in the hole and see what comes out.
The "bang cap" is obvious but the lower motor holes are always underwater. They are the most likely place to find mush.
You can also drill some holes from the inside (without going through)
We are all struggling with the fear of a rotten transom and the fear of starting a transom project only to find out there wasn't a good reason for it.
I have done a transom on a past boat and found it very difficult to remove the
good wood...
yes there were some ugly wet areas but it wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. But I did the job and I felt really good about it. And that's worth a lot.
If I had paid someone else I might not have felt that good...
My 265 has a sketchy transom top ("band cap") I would really like to clean it up but then there is the dilemma of whether to go all the way.
In past I have had motors off and scuppers out and the wood in the holes looked great.
Nothing flexes. I added 1/4" aluminim plates across lower motor bolts (inside), just for shitz n giggles.