228 is a beauty

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fellow followers of the Great Grady clan. Would one of you with the 228 seafarer give me an idea of the length of your 228 on the trailer, from trailer hitch to the prop on the outboard. Just need an idea for length of a storage unit. Not ready to give up my 208 but that would certainly be my next YACHT.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I might be slightly biased here but I think that the 228 Seafarer is one of, if not the greatest 22' or less fiberglass fishing boats out there. Or at least I've yet to see one that even compares to it. In regards to the question asked, I'm not near my boat at the time being but will be up there tomorrow at our summer cabin working on some things and getting it "de-winterized" for the spring/summer. I can let you know then, but I think there are going to be more than a couple different variables like trailer brand/length, position of the boat on the trailer and so forth. I'm sure someone else will come along shortly with their answer but I think you're going to have a few different lengths given because of those variables mentioned above.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Mustang, I agree with the variables that come with the question, but it just might give me a general idea to a fit. Appreciate you taking the time for measurement. De- winterizing has got to be the best look forward ritual of owning a Grady. :)

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Fellow followers of the Great Grady clan. Would one of you with the 228 seafarer give me an idea of the length of your 228 on the trailer, from trailer hitch to the prop on the outboard. Just need an idea for length of a storage unit. Not ready to give up my 208 but that would certainly be my next YACHT.
31 feet with my 250 down, more if you store the engine up. I can get you a measurement with it up, probably another 12-18 inches. I'm on a Pacific trailer.

It's quite an upgrade from a 208, I looked at the 208, had the choice between that and the 228 when I bought. 2 more feet of cockpit space makes a huge difference when crabbing or trying to fish 3-4 people back there.

The swim platform has pros and cons. I personally like it but there are 226 people (228 but transom mount like your 208) that much prefer their configuration. It's true that the swim platform will push you around, especially in a following sea. I grew up in Wisconsin, I'm used to powder snow on black ice, I look at the 228 platform and go "hold my beer" :cool: But I have yet to be out in conditions where the platform pushed the bow down and stuffed. I sort of think if that happens it is my bad, I should have had the engine trimmed back to push the bow up if there is a chance to stuff.

The swim platform means you have a clean transom and a livewell back there, so that is nice.

Let us know what you do. The 208 is a capable boat, you could do tuna runs in that if you picked a very nice day. That said, I'm super happy I spent the extra $30K to get a 228 (I ought new, crazy that a platform and 2 more feet and 50 more HP is $30K but it is). I predict if you get into a 228 you will be in it for a long time.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree with luckydude in that it took me just over a year to find and purchase a 228 Seafarer. I looked at several used ones online, made offers on a few, paid a surveyor to go out and inspect one that I ended up NOT buying before finally finding my boat in Maryland. Throughout that time of just over a year, I was definitely tempted to go with a 208 Adventure or even a 226 Seafarer as they definitely seem much more common than the 228 Seafarer, especially the 208 Adventure. But boy, I'm glad that I was patient and waited to get exactly what I wanted. I've got parents in their almost mid 70's now, as well as a niece that just turned 7 last fall, so having the enclosed transom/bracket was much more appealing than having a motorwell on the back. Plus, I put my boat on a mooring buoy for about oh 3-4+ months during the summer where you can definitely get some snotty weather. The thought of having my boat out on a buoy with a motorwell on the back was a bit unsettling compared to it being full enclosed. I love the extra space and layout that the 228 Seafarer offers compared to the 208 Adventure, though I've admittedly never been on the latter before, but I consider my boat to be perfect for my fishing/boating needs. It will seat 6 people comfortably and you can even have a few sit on the bow cushions if you want, she'll fish 4-5 large fishermen comfortably as well. The boat can be used for fishing, crabbing, going for a cruise, you could take the boat to a college football game, take it to SeaFair or do just about anything with it. It's trailerable with just one person as well as operating the boat by yourself in that you can operate it completely solo quite easily.

It feels like a bigger boat but still to where it's entirely manageable by yourself, if that makes any sense. I've heard people mention that going in reverse with the swim platform or a following sea will push you around a bit, of which I've never experienced that before. Though I don't go in reverse all that often, and especially don't go very fast in reverse hardly at all. When docking, I usually just do the "slow roll" approach and come into the dock nice and easy so that I don't scuff up my boat and to where I'll maybe give it a quick kick into reverse but to where I don't really notice any problems with the platform. I had a 21' Arima before this and the 228 Seafarer is 100x the boat that the Arima is, or ever will be, of which I always recommend a 228 Seafarer to anyone that's looking for a walkaround Grady White in the 20-22'+ range that also wants a single motor. The only things I don't necessarily "love" about the boat would be the armrests on the helm chairs, especially the inside ones, which will get caught up on your shirts and so forth. This summer I plan on cutting those off to make it easier to walk between the two helm chairs. That, and about my only other gripe would be to take away some seating for some more fishing space as I rarely ever have 6+ people aboard my boat. I'd rather have a couple extra feet of fishing room as opposed to more seating, but that might just be me, and it's definitely a bit of nitpicking.

Reactions: luckydude

Timcan

Reaction score
Seafarer 228 on an Easy- Loader Trailer 31 ft over all with engine down.

Luckydude knows what he is talking about the 228’s extra length is worth it in my book. He has a sweet setup can’t wait to get back on it and checkout the new autopilot he installed.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks all of you for the great input and also the measurement info. The good news is it would fit in my boat barn but no hard top. It may be just a dream, as the budget will not permit a new one and with the prices what they are and from my homework any 228 for sale appears to be stuck in the 90's and in my humble opinion overpriced. My 2006 208 is pristine with many mods which I have done myself over time. I sold the F150 that was on it for good price and replaced with the new 2013 F200i4 a perfect match with a 4 blade prop.Torn between starting over or staying with the 208 which is and has been capable of the touring, fishing prawning etc. that my wife and I do here in the centre of this beauty universe. Thanks again for helping me to teeter on the edge of this dream. I will certainly keep in touch with any future 228 potential purchase.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Thanks all of you for the great input and also the measurement info. The good news is it would fit in my boat barn but no hard top. It may be just a dream, as the budget will not permit a new one and with the prices what they are and from my homework any 228 for sale appears to be stuck in the 90's and in my humble opinion overpriced. My 2006 208 is pristine with many mods which I have done myself over time. I sold the F150 that was on it for good price and replaced with the new 2013 F200i4 a perfect match with a 4 blade prop.Torn between starting over or staying with the 208 which is and has been capable of the touring, fishing prawning etc. that my wife and I do here in the centre of this beauty universe. Thanks again for helping me to teeter on the edge of this dream. I will certainly keep in touch with any future 228 potential purchase.
Are you warm climate or cold? I think most of us who love our 228s are in cold, I'm northern California, Mustang is Seattle. Us cold climate people can't believe that Grady stopped making the 228, it's the perfect boat if you want to trailer and want warmth.

As for overpriced at $90K, my boat was $130K before the pandemic and I've put just under $30K in electronics, kicker, autopilot, downriggers, etc. I'm pretty sure I could sell it for $150K, it's dialed in. Not that I want to, but if I had upgraded to a Marlin my plan was to keep it if I couldn't get $150K for it.

The problem is that it is a sweet size, big enough, small enough, and Grady stopped making them. If my boat was 10 years old and in good shape, yeah, I wouldn't go under $90K either.

If you are in a warm climate there are lots of other options in the center console/dual console styles.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Seafarer 228 on an Easy- Loader Trailer 31 ft over all with engine down.

Luckydude knows what he is talking about the 228’s extra length is worth it in my book. He has a sweet setup can’t wait to get back on it and checkout the new autopilot he installed.
Just so the forum knows, Timcam is one of my friends, also with a 228 (he's the guy changing out the gas tanks). We fish together all the time and when I'm tackling a project that is frustrating me, like swapping out the noisy livewell pump, he comes up and pushes me aside and does it. Good to have friends like that.

Reactions: Timcan

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I know you asked about 228, but thought I'd give my overall length on trailer for $hits and grins. I was so surprised how long it is, engines down. I am hoping to get to a storage yard closer to the ocean and had to tape out the overall length. I have a Gulfstream 232 and is 33'-10". My 'before' guess was 29'.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey Trapper, my total length on the Road Runner trailer is almost 32ft which is why my shop is 36 feet deep minus the 2x6 walls. Drop by one day if you would like to take a look.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was 57 feet when i hauled mine from nanaimo to vancouver.
Truck is 22.25 feet, add a 8 inches for the hitch makes it 23.

So mine is 34 feet on my trailer. The trailer tongue is pretty long, I debated shortening the tongue decided I like the length at the launch and am willing to eat the cost on the ferry a couple times a year.

228 is a great boat around our area and i even ran it from Vancouver to Nootka 2 summers ago (got trailered across and boated home from campbell river for the return trip). Will be listing in late july and looking to upgrade. Finding it a bit to tight to overnight for more than 1 night at a time with 2 people and our dog. Ill miss the boat when i sell it.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A few things to note here would be that Grady White no longer sells the 228 Seafarer brand new, as Lucky also mentioned above. I honestly love the boat and was quite shocked to hear that it was no longer going to be produced, but I do know that most of the rest of the country loves CC and DC style boats. Here in the Seattle area, open bow boats of any kind are on the rarer side unless you're in a lake or river, where a good chunk of those are aluminum boats. I bought my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer back in the fall of 2021 in Maryland for $26.5k, of which I then rented a U-Haul truck and trailered it back 3,009 miles from Deale, MD to our beach cabin on Whidbey Island. Deals can be found on these boats but you do have to be patient, constantly looking and ready to jump when one pops up that is a great deal. I've also noticed a trend in the last couple of years since the 228 Seafarer has been discontinued, which has been that few seem to be listed and those that are typically are being sold for quite above the average price. Maybe it's just me and what I've noticed, though I do regularly check the boat sales websites a couple of times a week because I know there are always several people on here looking for 228 Seafarers/232 Gulfstreams.

One question that I do have for you would be about the height of your barn, is that the ceiling height or the height of the garage door? Because if it's the height of the garage door you could always put a taller garage door in the barn. Though the ceiling height there probably isn't very much that can be done about that unfortunately. I think the best thing that you can do would be to put your location and your budget as well as if you're willing to travel for a boat, and if you are how far are you willing to go? I've bought all 3 of my boats on the east coast because they're about half the price or less than what they sell for out here in the Seattle area. As mentioned above, I bought my boat for $26.5k in October of 2021, then bought a Garmin 943xsv and new transducer for about $1,600 as well as two Scotty high performance downriggers for about $1,200. All in all, including sales tax on the boat and the journey from Maryland to Seattle, I figure I've got about $35k total into the boat. Though in the last two years, I've seen two boats almost identical to mine sell for $55k-$65k, one had a kicker motor and the other had both a kicker motor and radar. Which if I wanted those they would probably be around $3,500 - $5,000 extra, though I don't really need them for my boating needs at this point. I guess long story short, you should be able to find a nice, used 228 Seafarer for less than that $90k figure you were talking about.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agree with all said about our 228's!!! A super versatile big, little boat. I bought mine in '17 in Tampa Florida and it now lives in Kentucky. I pull it wherever I want to go and is the perfect size for my adventures, be it offshore in the Keys, sandbar hopping in the Gulf, fishing for catfish in SC or Walleye fishing on Lake Erie in Ohio.

Don't get discouraged about finding one. They are out there and early to mid 2000's shouldn't cost $90K, that's just ludicrous. Love mine so much, just repowered with a 2023 Yamaha F250xcb,,, new motor = new boat!!

Good luck on your search.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Once again a big thanks to all of you with such positive feedback and info. Great Grady has to be the best gathering of folks with so much valued info willing to share so readily. I believe we all appreciate very much each others input....a band of brothers!
With the "fun in the sun" season approaching I will stay with my very happy 208 and consider some more research on a 228 come fall.

Reactions: Ky Grady

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
If you are still interest in a 228...(not mine; no affiliation)

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks JJF Also one of the other issues with purchasing a yacht over the border is the rather large discrepancy in the CD and USD. The boat listed above at $54000 USD is $72000 CD which does create a little bit of an ouch when on the hunt. But.......that is the way it is!!!

Last edited:

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks JJF Also one of the other issues with purchasing a yacht over the border is the rather large discrepancy in the CD and USD. The boat listed above at $54000 USD is $72000 CD which does create a little bit of an ouch when on the hunt. But.......that is the way it is!!!
You really gotta find a screamin deal south of the border. There an 1992 with recent power but no hardtop (has radar tower and radar) for 49000. Id expect to pay around 70k for anything in the 2000s around here.