228 West Coast Bait tank Modification 40 Gal

dfolsom

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I recently purchased a 1997 228 Seafarer and repowered it with a new Yamaha 200. The original Livewell that it came with is useless for my needs of keeping sardines alive while fishing off San Diego. I liked the idea of a bait tank all the way in the stern rather than in the middle of the deck to preserve the deck space. Also, It was important to me to have easy access to the bilge, In this setup, I have 8 screws, and the bait tank slides out for full bilge access. (40 Gallon Bluewater bait tank)

The first step after measuring multiple times and carefully laying out the tape was to cut open the large hole that the bait tank would slide into.
IMG_1705.jpg
The bait tank is sitting on the deck in two notches, and in the bilge, it is resting on a piece of teak that is fastened to the two vertical triangle fiberglass stringers with stainless hardware. Threw 2 coats of Epoxy on all the open plywood and glass after the cutting process.
IMG_1727.jpgIMG_1729.jpg
The front of the bait tank is sitting up against an Epoxyed piece of plywood with a teak block on it, originally I was planning on adding two screws to attach the bait tank to the teak block however it is rock solid without those screws. The foam gaskets were a trial run and they did very well keeping water out.
IMG_1733.jpg
One of the first things done after purchasing this boat was trimming the upper fiberglass console box, which left some extra gel-coated fiberglass laying around. This was used as the lid that sits around the bait tank and fits into the cutout square. foam gasket around the perimeter. Two more pieces from the box were used as legs to seal each side. They already had an edge on them so they work great.
IMG_1721.jpg

All in all, it turned out great. I ran it like this for a few weeks. I'm planning on gel coating the bait tank and the other glass to match..
IMG_1739.jpgIMG_1773.PNGIMG_1752 2.jpg

Last edited:

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's the best 228 mod I have seen yet, nice work.

Reactions: dfolsom

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Nice work! I'm up in Carlsbad. I use a kodiak tank that runs off the washdown hose. Your setup is way cleaner and neater. Hopefully, we get some weather and we get to some of those fish!

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Nice! These older ocean going campers aren't setup for serious fisherman. Great idea!

Bartman

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Any other tanks that would work? I live in the Keys and it would be $1500 for me to get the Blue Water Tank shipped here.

dfolsom

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Any other tanks that would work? I live in the Keys and it would be $1500 for me to get the Blue Water Tank shipped here.
Not sure of any other fiberglass tanks that would be more reasonably priced, but kodiak does make plastic tanks that could fit. The plastic tank would just not have the same clean finish as a fiberglass would, but it would be just as effective in keeping bait alive and catching fish.

Kodiak bait tanks