265 Express/Suzuki DF200APXW2

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Great info here, can you clarify what RPM you are running at when cruising at 25mph?
hehehe I never run at 25 mph...the 265 likes to do 30 or 33. But it would be somewhere in the low 4000s if loaded with fuel and ice in rough seas. In calm seas there is no reason to do 25 when you get just as good fuel burn at 30. 25 feels like you are crawling. And the 265 will eventually try to go faster...

I don't refer much to rpm because it varies by weight and sea conditions and trim. I look at speed and MPG and I find the speed that feels good.

Also, I see you are looking at Yamahas. You cannot compare Suzuki rpm and prop size to Yamaha. They are geared very differently.

Last edited:

cmware

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
hehehe I never run at 25 mph...the 265 likes to do 30 or 33. But it would be somewhere in the low 4000s if loaded with fuel and ice in rough seas. In calm seas there is no reason to do 25 when you get just as good fuel burn at 30. 25 feels like you are crawling. And the 265 will eventually try to go faster...

I don't refer much to rpm because it varies by weight and sea conditions and trim. I look at speed and MPG and I find the speed that feels good.

Also, I see you are looking at Yamahas. You cannot compare Suzuki rpm and prop size to Yamaha. They are geared very differently.

I mistyped, I meant to say 25knts/30 miles. My concern is running the 200hp's at higher than optimal rpm for standard cruising speed thus maybe a shorter life span.

Cheers.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I mistyped, I meant to say 25knts/30 miles. My concern is running the 200hp's at higher than optimal rpm for standard cruising speed thus maybe a shorter life span.

Cheers.
well "optimal" rmp is different. You can't compare rpm. i4 and V6 are completely different motors designed to run at their own "optimum" range to get the torque and HP they need. And you can't compare Suzuki rpm to Yamaha rpm because the drive gear ratio is different.

That said, yes, V6s are not going to "work as hard" at the same speed. They may get better fuel burn at the same speed. They will definitely run the boat faster, well into the 40+mph range. However they add a few hundred pounds to the boat.

The 200s run the boat well at everyday offshore speeds. I have never wished I had my OX66 225s back.

Reactions: cmware

SeaVee

Reaction score
Alright fellas, my set is ordered, hopefully get them in May. Gonna lean on you guys over the winter as we refresh my 265 while we wait for the motors. I’m running Garmin electronics, would love an AP recommendation from you guys and where you put the pump. I love an auto pilot but I hate to hear the pump. Also if you guys have settled on an optimum prop size. I ordered a set of four blades for my 200 HPDI’s but I blew one motor before I could even try them out. Brand new in the box in my garage. That hurt

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Alright fellas, my set is ordered, hopefully get them in May. Gonna lean on you guys over the winter as we refresh my 265 while we wait for the motors. I’m running Garmin electronics, would love an AP recommendation from you guys and where you put the pump. I love an auto pilot but I hate to hear the pump. Also if you guys have settled on an optimum prop size. I ordered a set of four blades for my 200 HPDI’s but I blew one motor before I could even try them out. Brand new in the box in my garage. That hurt
AutoPilot upgrade from manual hydraulic

I will be updating this autopilot thread because I had a failure middle of 3rd season and now have a replacement "v2" Smartpump. I just installed the replacement yesterday.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
So I ordered my Suzuki 200s for my 265 the last week of November, thinking it would be at least 6 months. Got the call a few weeks later that they are in!

It's scheduled to go in on the 30th to get installed.

So I was talking to the guy about props, I was telling him about the 4 blade 15.25 x 22 props that you and Tile have on yours.

Have you guys been happy with that prop size on the 200s?

Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
So I ordered my Suzuki 200s for my 265 the last week of November, thinking it would be at least 6 months. Got the call a few weeks later that they are in!

So I was talking to the guy about props, I was telling him about the 4 blade 15.25 x 22 props that you and Tile have on yours.

Thanks
That was darn quick. Would be nice to see pics and videos in the water when completed. Best of luck!

Reactions: Saltyone

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265

Thanks
Don't forget to mention the steering cylinder setup. IDK what cylinder and tie bar your Yammies had.
It IS possible to get both motors to raise out of the water if you use a 5345 cylinder mounted on top of the tiller arm and use an HO6001 tie bar

Also, request the Aux charging cables so you can setup a separate House battery bank.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saltyone

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Thanks Skunk, I actually sent him a link to this thread when I was talking to him about props, I also mentioned the steering tilt issue.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
The previous owner of my 265 added a Yamaha 9.9 kicker for salmon trolling, which we do a bit of around here, since the old 2 strokes don't really like to be idled around. Now going with the Zukes, wondering if I'm going to need the kicker. The only thing I'd like about keeping the kicker, is to be able to keep the hours down on the new motors.

What kind of low speeds can you troll around at with the 200s?

Thanks

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The previous owner of my 265 added a Yamaha 9.9 kicker for salmon trolling, which we do a bit of around here, since the old 2 strokes don't really like to be idled around. Now going with the Zukes, wondering if I'm going to need the kicker. The only thing I'd like about keeping the kicker, is to be able to keep the hours down on the new motors.

What kind of low speeds can you troll around at with the 200s?

Thanks
I troll stripers as low as 3 mph with one motor & autopilot, in the ocean with a breeze & waves. It'll probably do less if you run one, trim it up a bit and trim the dead one down all the way. Dunno how well AP will work going idle speed if there is any kind of waves or wind. I absloutely hate trolling without AP
I don't think you need a kicker.
Did you get the Troll Mode option? (maybe its standard now?) below 1200 rpm you can control by 50 rpm steps down to idle 600

As for Hours...I have 560+ hrs in 3 seasons...not worried about it. Much of that is 30-100 mile offshore runs and 6 or 8 hrs of trolling 7mph on one motor for Tuna/Mahi.
Seems like a crazy notion to not use your $40K motors so the next guy can....:rolleyes:

Speaking of 9.9 outboard...My brother and I are getting a new Suzuki DF9.9BTL for a 16 ft tin boat. Almost all NJ lakes are limited to 9.9hp or electric.
Turns out removing the restrictor plate and getting an ECM fo a 20 hp makes the 9.9 a sleeper 20hp..$500 in parts...

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I troll stripers as low as 3 mph with one motor & autopilot, in the ocean with a breeze & waves. It'll probably do less if you run one, trim it up a bit and trim the dead one down all the way. Dunno how well AP will work going idle speed if there is any kind of waves or wind. I absloutely hate trolling without AP
I don't think you need a kicker.
Did you get the Troll Mode option? (maybe its standard now?) below 1200 rpm you can control by 50 rpm steps down to idle 600

As for Hours...I have 560+ hrs in 3 seasons...not worried about it. Much of that is 30-100 mile offshore runs and 6 or 8 hrs of trolling 7mph on one motor for Tuna/Mahi.
Seems like a crazy notion to not use your $40K motors so the next guy can....:rolleyes:

Speaking of 9.9 outboard...My brother and I are getting a new Suzuki DF9.9BTL for a 16 ft tin boat. Almost all NJ lakes are limited to 9.9hp or electric.
Turns out removing the restrictor plate and getting an ECM fo a 20 hp makes the 9.9 a sleeper 20hp..$500 in parts...
Sometimes when we troll for salmon, we can get down to 1-1.5 mph, so I'll have to see how it does before I decide to remove the kicker. Most of the hours I put on the mains is running out for Albacore (40-50 miles) and trolling around for those. But that was my comfortable range on my old boat with 80g of fuel capacity. Now with 250g of fuel, we'll see if we decide to run further out in the early part of the season when the tuna haven't come in close yet.

For what I can tell the troll mode appears to be standard, but I'm verifying that.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Sometimes when we troll for salmon, we can get down to 1-1.5 mph, so I'll have to see how it does before I decide to remove the kicker. Most of the hours I put on the mains is running out for Albacore (40-50 miles) and trolling around for those. But that was my comfortable range on my old boat with 80g of fuel capacity. Now with 250g of fuel, we'll see if we decide to run further out in the early part of the season when the tuna haven't come in close yet.

For what I can tell the troll mode appears to be standard, but I'm verifying that.
I think maybe the newest SMG4 gauges can control the troll mode without need of separate Troll Mode switch? not sure.
I know they added Auto Trim in 2022. that would be sweet...

If its a 2 stroke kicker you will be sick of that crap in no time....

Last edited:

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
My installer said the troll mode is standard with the SMG4 gauges, so that is a plus.

Mine are 2023 models, so should have the auto trim as well.

The kicker is a 4 stroke at least, but not EFI like my Suzuki on my old boat. If I keep it, may have to paint it white to match the new motors. :)

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
My installer said the troll mode is standard with the SMG4 gauges, so that is a plus.

Mine are 2023 models, so should have the auto trim as well.

The kicker is a 4 stroke at least, but not EFI like my Suzuki on my old boat. If I keep it, may have to paint it white to match the new motors. :)
We got a new toy today!!! 2BF22A28-442D-4A73-B441-BAEF4F72C526.jpeg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
On the DF200APs, I added some pieces of black tape on the binnacle to show when the throttles are in Neutral. When you look down at the chromed handles its not always obvious where you are. The displays indicate the position but when you are backing into a slip that doesn't help much. I wish I could rig a sound for reverse. That would be really helpful.

6F7E3D86-F96A-4769-9694-1627F7E35E9C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: dgrizzly