265x with a bow mount trolling motor?

Oh my, those are 1/2" bolts? Holy overkill, Batman :) 1/4" is more than enough. But going bigger is never bad, either.
They are 3/8 bolts, 1/2" hex head...and a washer...
But even doing as your sketch shows, just adding the L-channel across the "flex" area will help quite a bit. It will create a new flex area (hinge) where it ends - but it's going to be closer to the load point so there will be less stress on this "hinge".
The bad sketch was to show eventual welded 3/8" verticals along the edges of the plate. The added part goes both over and under the plate(once it overhangs the pulpit)
The added part can be under the Kraken all the way to the far end.


Could you move the TM forward a little bit on the plate (if there's enough mounting holes still in the TM plate for adequate support)? This would allow at least the aft L-channel to be full length... and, likely, you would only need that one.

I like threads like this - it's fun to see how someone else does something and adding those ideas into my "mental toolbox" :cool:
The Kraken can't move. It has to overhang the way it does.
 
The Kraken 90 was just delivered. This thing is massive!
 
Minor point, but you don't need a washer when using something like 1/4" plate - and especially 3/8" plate. The plate IS the washer. And a C-channel (or L-channel) is another washer since it sits on the plate.

Sketch... Ah, OK - I see what you're talking about, now. The "top" and "bottom" vertical 3/8" plate will share at least a few inches of the horizontal plate... thereby by eliminating the "hinge" issue. Perfect.

Release the Kraken :)
 
Minor point, but you don't need a washer when using something like 1/4" plate - and especially 3/8" plate. The plate IS the washer. And a C-channel (or L-channel) is another washer since it sits on the plate.
I prefer tightening hex head against SS rather than softer aluminum.
 
I still haven't cleaned up the life rail (I was in the Navy. "Its a Life rail not a hand rail" )

I bought SS end caps thinking it would be easy. Bought 2 sizes thinking one will fit pipe and one may fit the drop fitting.
Neither worked in any place. Either to big or too small. I don't understand it...

Screenshot 2026-09-30 at 8.58.12 AM.png
 
Wall thickness of the metal tubing can vary - which of course affects the ID. Your boat might have the ticker wall thickness? Taco Metals is a big supplier for tubing - I'm not sure if they have fittings, though.
 
Next time you are at the boat Skunk, can you snap a picture of the Kraken stowed? 104” is long and it looks tight going straight back as you have done or on one side or the other going across the bow if you will.

Also, If I go mounted to the pulpit like you, I was thinking of the offset product from sea brackets. It’s only 1/2” thick though so your experience with flex at 3/8 has me nervous.

If more on the side behind the light the shuttle slide looks interesting because it could slide out to get past the rub rail. That has it going way far across the bow to darn near, if not past, the opposing “life rail”.
 
You know how you think you took a picture of something but you never did. Here’s the closest thing on my phone. I will get a better one Friday

I didn’t find any other place that didn’t block the nav lights or cleats or anchor locker or anchor or cabin hatch

IMG_4594.jpeg
IMG_4627.jpeg
 
I went and looked at the Sea Brackets website. First off....$400+ o_O
Looks like a good "right out of the box" solution for Center Consoles with no rails.
1/2" is better than 3/8" and they must have success with it?

Mounting on gunnel or bow, you are not going to have easy access to put nuts on bolts. Maybe impossible...
And there are a lot of things in the way.

You will have to shim because that area is not flat.

I think that bracket would work on the pulpit...but maybe one row of bolt holes are too close to edge...
The underside of the pulpit is not flat. you need to be a couple inches in so the nut and washer land flat.

The top of the pulpit is flat (although angled slightly upward...more on that....)
Extremely easy access to nuts onto bolts on bottom of pulpit.


The 13" x 26" plate I had made was $60. Drilled the holes myself.
Yes, it needs a little beefing up but I hope it won't be $400 to weld two strips to it.


Are you planning to use a Quick Release ? I'm not a trailer boat so thats not even useful.
The Kraken weighs 55 pounds. I hard wired it. There is nothing quick about releasing this Kraken...


I will be at boat on Friday, hopefully catching some black sea bass.
I will take some good pix and measurements and video and give a better writeup.

I am really happy with the position of the Kraken on my 265x. I would not do it any other way
 
Last edited: