A question about trailers

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
For comparison, this is my winch stand......I still don't know why your winch is upside down....

So your roller is on arms that lift it above the metal tube that the winch sits on. The arms create a space for the cable to go the eye and the arms lift the roller up so it goes above the eye, where it belongs. Pacific has an inferior design where the roller is on the end of the tube, so if they put the winch on top, the roller would be below the eye.

I think I can maybe fix mine by adding arms, not sure it will work because of the steep angle of my top tube. And I think I'd have to cut it down. I'm gonna see if I can buy a load rite winch stand and replace mine entirely.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The roller should be above the bow eye. To date, I've not had a problem with the anchor getting hung up on the roller. If you think that's going to be an issue, then you can always go the cow catcher route.

I think you are on the right track to just replace the winch stand.

Figure out how tall you need and order one....If you use the new winch they sent you and reuse the bow stop, you should be able to do it for less than $150 and it's done right.

Reactions: luckydude

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm gonna see if I can buy a load rite winch stand and replace mine entirely.
As much I hate to say it, I think that might be your best bet. As it sounds like you're probably not going to get very far with your current dealer. I'll throw this in here as another example - this is a Shoreland'r trailer underneath a Sea Ray on our lot. Not saying anything bad about LR - just another option. Another one - probably similar pricing to LR (Shoreland'r will likely be higher) - would be Tidewater Trailers (go to their website).

These use an internal roller (note the bolthead just aft of the "Profile" sticker) so no matter what angle you adjust the winch mount to, the strap still goes level (or close to it) to the boat (along with different height winch stands, of course).
Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 4.54.18 PM.png

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
The roller should be above the bow eye. To date, I've not had a problem with the anchor getting hung up on the roller. If you think that's going to be an issue, then you can always go the cow catcher route.

I think you are on the right track to just replace the winch stand.

Figure out how tall you need and order one....If you use the new winch they sent you and reuse the bow stop, you should be able to do it for less than $150 and it's done right.

Yeah, I can do all that. Color me really grumpy because I went with Grady White because they told they were the best, the HQ is not happy until I'm happy. What would make me happy is if I spent all this money and had no problems. It's complete BS that you buy $7000 trailer and it doesn't work. The design of that winch stand is crap. I'm not a structural engineer, but I am an engineer, I live in the country, I fix stuff all the time. That stand is not what it should be for $7000.

But whatever, if this is the biggest problem I have in the next 5 years, I'm good.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Boat should be solid, rest assured that Grady makes a solid boat. Trailer is a different story.. once you get it sorted And I’m sure you will. Then Once you start hookin up some fish all is forgotten.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I want to buy a winch arm like Dennis shows...

I need to locate that bugger heh

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Unfair to call out Grady-White for a crappy designed trailer. Grady doesn't build trailers, they build boats. I thought Pacific trailers were better built than that, but that is one cheesy winch stand.

My Loadmaster winch post.
20171113_123557.jpg

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I sent this to Pacific Trailers this evening. Let’s see if they respond.

Hello,

I thought you might be interested in the conversation regarding your recent trailers being fitted for Grady White boats on the GW forum right now. Not good press. Perhaps you could reach out and offer assistance before word spreads.

I currently have a 1999 Pacific Trailer and have been happy and recommended Pacific to a few boater looking for new trailers. Kinda feel bad now.

Reactions: Bloodweiser

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Unfair to call out Grady-White for a crappy designed trailer. Grady doesn't build trailers, they build boats. I thought Pacific trailers were better built than that, but that is one cheesy winch stand.

I don't think this is on Grady-White, it's on Pacific and my dealer. My dealer, so far as I know, picked out the trailer. What I know for sure is they did not catch the problem initially and then when I brought the boat in for a different problem they pointed out I had bent the post but they had bent it back. So they sent me away twice without realizing that the trailer was defective. Once I get, twice I don't.

TUNAHUNTER197

Reaction score
Luckydude, I hope you don't mind me asking...is the dealer Central Valley Marine? I plan to repower with Yamaha's in the near future and would rather steer away from a dealer that has been giving you the run around, twice. My trailer winch post setup mirrors KY Grady's, hope that helps. It's stout and I've never had a problem winching my 265 up on the trailer. And to put you at ease my trailer has a 10,400 weight capacity and my 265 weighs more then your 228, sounds like your axle's are perfect for your boat, don't sweat that your good there. But that winch post needs to go, sorry.

Last edited:

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Tuna,

I’ve had nothing but poor service from Central Valley. I have called/emailed and even stopped in for parts/ information on where to get parts ect. It’s there go-to response “ we will get back to ya “ and they NEVER do. The vib I get when talking to them is if you didn’t buy from them or going to buy from them your on the back burner. Since your going to repower they might greet you with open arms, lol. I’m moving the boat to my other property to Sarasota FL in September there’s a great dealer on long boat key.

Reactions: TUNAHUNTER197

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Here's a pic of my 2019 Tidewater trailer winch stand. It has a 2004 GW Gulfstream on it. It seems strong, I put boat on deepwater and try winch the least amount I need to. I am going try the slick surface at some point.

1_20200509_155934.jpg

My $0.02.

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's a pic of my 2019 Tidewater trailer winch stand. It has a 2004 GW Gulfstream on it. It seems strong, I put boat on deepwater and try winch the least amount I need to. I am going try the surfing at some point.

View attachment 14064

My $0.02.

Winch post looks to be substantial for sure. Don't see a problem with it. You could probably lower the winch plate down to where the bow eye is under the roller and a straight pull into the winch, if you're having bow movement/bounce while trailering.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Any response from Pacific Trailer or the dealer?

Pacific has stepped up, they were all over it, they were very sorry this happend. They are sending me a new post and they are sending a heavier duty winch, no charge, keep the other one as a backup. They seem like a stand up company. I know a lot of people hated on them, I have to see, but signs point to them being good people. I'm happy with how they have handled this, they fired a guy about this, wasn't just me.h

The dealer is not so much. I'm going to try and work on them and if they get better I'll report back. I don't want to bad mouth them, I want to work on them because I'm in the Bay Area, they are all I have. But if I work on them and they don't step up I will call them out. There are locals that hate them. My goal is to get them to step up.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Tuna,

I’ve had nothing but poor service from Central Valley. I have called/emailed and even stopped in for parts/ information on where to get parts ect. It’s there go-to response “ we will get back to ya “ and they NEVER do. The vib I get when talking to them is if you didn’t buy from them or going to buy from them your on the back burner. Since your going to repower they might greet you with open arms, lol. I’m moving the boat to my other property to Sarasota FL in September there’s a great dealer on long boat key.
Cannons In long boat is the way to go if you are looking to get your issue fixed. They have been there since the 70’s.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my 2019 Tidewater trailer winch stand. It has a 2004 GW Gulfstream on it. It seems strong, I put boat on deepwater and try winch the least amount I need to. I am going try the surfing at some point.

View attachment 14064

My $0.02.
You have a strong winch post but I agree with KY you should lower the winch plate.