A question about trailers

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Cannons In long boat is the way to go if you are looking to get your issue fixed. They have been there since the 70’s.

Grady dealers for me, are like Harley dealers for Harley guys. I'll go to a Grady dealer if I'm in the area. Heading out to Sarasota next Saturday and I'll be going by Cannon's on Longboat while I'm down. Enjoy looking around at the new boats and seeing the facility. Wife doesn't go, she hangs out at the pool, so I have the day to get out and explore.

Reactions: Shannon C.

seasick

Reaction score
Why should he have to look at other dealers to get his trailer up to snuff. He paid dearly for it and the dealer should fix it. I rarely say this but if the dealer doesn't make it right, I would sue. Any reputable surveyor would attest in small claims that the winch mounting system is sub standard and poses a risk.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sadly, this story plays out over and over again. Dealer is helpful and engaging until the taillights disappear around the bend. Then they don’t care.

GW is very proud of their CSI and they have, on more than one occasion pulled the franchise. If you aren’t happy, maybe a phone call to NC can help.

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not to hijack this topic from lucky dude , glad that Pacific Trailer is standing up behind their product lucky dude !

Ordering a new trailer on the East Coast Monday morning been in contact with a load rite dealer for an 8000 pound galvanize trailer just because the roads on the West Coast are horrible, my question is is load rite the best trailer for Grady White 228 Price is right at just under $6300 for a few upgrades stainless steel brake lines ,spare tire bracket , torsion axels and brakes on all four discs .

I just want the best Galvanize Trailer for new to me 2003 228 thank you in advance for all the wealth of knowledge on this site

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Not to hijack this topic from lucky dude , glad that Pacific Trailer is standing up behind their product lucky dude !

Ordering a new trailer on the East Coast Monday morning been in contact with a load rite dealer for an 8000 pound galvanize trailer just because the roads on the West Coast are horrible, my question is is load rite the best trailer for Grady White 228 Price is right at just under $6300 for a few upgrades stainless steel brake lines ,spare tire bracket , torsion axels and brakes on all four discs .

I just want the best Galvanize Trailer for new to me 2003 228 thank you in advance for all the wealth of knowledge on this site
Have you checked out the aluminum ones. They are lighter and won’t rust out on you. They also tow a lot better. Here in fla, we use aluminum since the galvanized ones don’t hold up with the salt, humidity, and heat. Aluminum frames never die. Rolls trailers have great aluminum ones. So does boatmaster.

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have you checked out the aluminum ones. They are lighter and won’t rust out on you. They also tow a lot better. Here in fla, we use aluminum since the galvanized ones don’t hold up with the salt, humidity, and heat. Aluminum frames never die. Rolls trailers have great aluminum ones. So
does boatmaster.
[/QUOTE

Yes one issue is I have had Trailer’s snap and friends mine Trailer’s snap occasionally I’ll go down to Baja Mexico no way to repair or limp them if that happens roads down there are horrible thank you !

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Why galvanized JJ??

I purchased a new Loadmaster Aluminum with torsion, 4 wheel disc, Kodiak SS brake parts and SS hardware, spare and a trade in of old trailer. I picked up at Loadmaster in Tampa in 2017 when I bought my boat. At the time, without a trade, I would have been $5923.75.

Leaving next weekend for my 4th trip to Florida and back, had multiple trips to SC and back and trailer has performed flawlessly. I did put new Goodyear Endurance tires on it, which allows for 65 psi and been very happy with them, I also have my wheels and tires balanced, extends their lifespan and allows for a smoother ride for my boat and truck. Original tires and wheels in basement, stored.

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Why galvanized JJ??

I purchased a new Loadmaster Aluminum with torsion, 4 wheel disc, Kodiak SS brake parts and SS hardware, spare and a trade in of old trailer. I picked up at Loadmaster in Tampa in 2017 when I bought my boat. At the time, without a trade, I would have been $5923.75.

Leaving next weekend for my 4th trip to Florida and back, had multiple trips to SC and back and trailer has performed flawlessly. I did put new Goodyear Endurance tires on it, which allows for 65 psi and been very happy with them, I also have my wheels and tires balanced, extends their lifespan and allows for a smoother ride for my boat and truck. Original tires and wheels in basement, stored.

Myself and my Boat Mechanic and Savannah who works on trailers also has seen less metal fatigue breakage on Galvanize steel than Aluminum, like I stated earlier our roads out here in California and Baja California are horrific , I’ve heard the roads in Florida from my friends that visit there and have lived there are a lot better than our California roads and if you’re in Mexico It’s easier to fix a galvanized steel trailer that can be welded in limp home then aluminum trailer.

Now on your Goodyear Endurance tiresit’s easier to fix a galvanized steel trailer that can be welded in limp home then aluminum trailer.

Now on your Goodyear Endurance tires That is a major upgrade !
That I really like will be doing that and having their tires balanced!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Myself and my Boat Mechanic and Savannah who works on trailers also has seen less metal fatigue breakage on Galvanize steel than Aluminum, like I stated earlier our roads out here in California and Baja California are horrific , I’ve heard the roads in Florida from my friends that visit there and have lived there are a lot better than our California roads and if you’re in Mexico It’s easier to fix a galvanized steel trailer that can be welded in limp home then aluminum trailer.

Now on your Goodyear Endurance tiresit’s easier to fix a galvanized steel trailer that can be welded in limp home then aluminum trailer.

Now on your Goodyear Endurance tires That is a major upgrade !
That I really like will be doing that and having their tires balanced!

I can see the reason behind the galvanized then.

Reactions: JJMag

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Cannons In long boat is the way to go if you are looking to get your issue fixed. They have been there since the 70’s.

Certainly early 70's, maybe late 60's.

I got in an argument with the owner somewhere around 1970-ish about a rented skiff. Long story and long time ago. Man, where has the time gone...

But I agree, Cannons is a cool outfit. They sponsor a GW Owners club that does stuff with our club from time-to-time.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I’d reconsider aluminum. Our roads are bad here too.

I’ll never own another galvanized trailer. So much less maintenance.

I can tell you that the 7K Float On I bought in April, with Deemaxx SS calipers on both axles, LEDs, Torsion, all SS hardware, radials, spare and spindle mount was a fair amount less than what you are being quoted for the Load-Rite.

If you stick with Load Rite, get them to put either Deemaxx or Kodiak brakes on it. LR uses Tie Down or UFP standard. The stuff is garbage.

Reactions: Halfhitch and JJMag

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I would go with aluminum every time. If you are concerned why not opt for heavier I beams, all S/S bolts and get them to use duralac on all S/S bolts and where the torsion axles contact the I beams , you will never have any problems .
If you want your brakes to work all the time S/S rotors , brackets and calipers either Kodiak or Deemax and electric over hydraulic actuator.
I don't know why they all use crap trailer tyres, any radial 8 ply light truck tyres will do as long as they are not Chinese.

1592739994948.png

Reactions: Sparkdog118

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’d reconsider aluminum. Our roads are bad here too.

I’ll never own another galvanized trailer. So much less maintenance.

I can tell you that the 7K Float On I bought in April, with Deemaxx SS calipers on both axles, LEDs, Torsion, all SS hardware, radials, spare and spindle mount was a fair amount less than what you are being quoted for the Load-Rite.

If you stick with Load Rite, get them to put either Deemaxx or Kodiak brakes on it. LR uses Tie Down or UFP standard. The stuff is garbage.

Here is the quote I got from load rite trailers

(. The trailer will be 8k carry capacity so its more than enough.
Torsion axles.
Brakes on both axles.
SS brake lines.
Spare and mount.
Vault hubs have been discontinued because of problems.
Price is $6295
4 week build time and 4 days delivery time to me. )

Which float on dealer did you use thank you

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I will have to say, Parthery is a trailer connoisseur, most of his boats, he has purchased trailers for.

I've bought a Road King trailer for my Seaswirl I had and this Loadmaster for my Grady, between the two, Loadmaster is the better built trailer. All my other boats were purchased new or close to new and had decent trailers. The Seaswirl and Grady had a trailer when purchased, but they were tired and in need of fixing or replacing, so went new trailer on both.

seasick

Reaction score
Here is the quote I got from load rite trailers

(. The trailer will be 8k carry capacity so its more than enough.
Torsion axles.
Brakes on both axles.
SS brake lines.
Spare and mount.
Vault hubs have been discontinued because of problems.
Price is $6295
4 week build time and 4 days delivery time to me. )

Which float on dealer did you use thank you

SS disk brakes? Make sure.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
So my parts are here and I have a new problem.

I think because the old post was bent the boat is too far forward. I think want the tacked on ubolt to be all the to the aft of the trailer on the tongue? That's where the old started out.

In order to do that I need to drag the boat backwards. But there was a guy in this thread complaining that on his 4th launch the carpet on the bunks ripped. I'm worried if I just pull the boat backwards I'll mess up the bunks. I think it needs to go backwards about 8 inches.

I have two tractors, one is a construction tractor, I could lift the bow by the eye and get some of the pressure off the bunks and then go try and pull it with the other tractor.

Is that bow eye structural? Can I lift the boat with it?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don’t lift it from the bow eye.

Leave the old winch stand in place and go find a ramp. Back the trailer in the water and let out enough winch strap to allow the boat to float backward a bit. Then pull the boat out and swap the winch stands.

Reactions: Bloodweiser