Adding a hard top vs bimini

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So, if you had a Grady without a hard top, and wanted to add one, where would you start looking for someone to make one?

I have looked at a lot of "t-top makers" and, honestly.. if I was to get one made, I would send them a picture of an actual GW top and say, "do exactly that".. because I am CDO (that is OCD in the correct order.. lol) and it cannot be un-done if it turns out "off" a bit ..

I am not sure if you can simply call up GW and ask for a hard top.. lol

Anyone have pics of ones they added after the fact?

R

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would contact WMW Marine in Winterville NC and have them make you one, end of discussion!! They are the supplier to Grady-White.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I would look hard for a boat that already has one. That is an enormous deal compared to adding one later. The Gradys have the hump and the electronic box, rods holders, a lot have riggers....buying that new is co$tly

Reactions: PointedRose

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This hardtop for you? Thought you bought the 282 from Surfside? It has a hardtop.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I may have found a 2004 Islander. It is a lot lighter, just as clean, but no hard top. The cost is the same all I have to do is find a hard top for it and I am real picky about it looking like a Grady heh

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ok. Like I said, WMW is the manufacturer of Grady hardtops so it will look like a Grady.

Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thank you, will call them tomorrow and see what it costs.

It may be easier and less and safer to do the islander vs sailfish and less to buy a top than pay to alter a brand new truck axle to a lower ratio to to more, that may not work anyway.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It is quite painful waiting for the quote.. lol

UCPA111

Reaction score
WMW Marine is who made mine. I also just contacted them (as my boat is a 1984) and asked for a quote on more rod holders I can weld on to match existing. Jerry is the gentleman who helped me out. I'd recommend contacting them as well.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I spoke to Jerry yesterday and then sent him an email with the specs that I wanted. I am sure it takes a bit before they can get a quote out for the older models...wish they would hurry...already bought three penn reels waiting bored lol. If it keeps up, may have to get the rods!;)

Reactions: UCPA111

Koz54

Reaction score
So, if you had a Grady without a hard top, and wanted to add one, where would you start looking for someone to make one?

I asked the same question a couple of years ago right here.

Still VERY happy with my choice, I added an overhead box, spreader lights, and enclosure (very) shortly after getting the top done. I did that myself, had the guy that made the hardtop drill between pipes and give me an access plate. All wiring is internal and clean!

Best part (to me) is that it is custom. My buddy is 2" or so taller than me. I had my rod holders mounted slightly lower. I can easily pull out any rod or net that is up there. On his boat I have to stand on the fish box or cooler to pull a rod all the way out. Also the wiring plate was HUGE to me. I would have hated having any wire zip tied to the tubes

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    569.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 07a.jpg
    07a.jpg
    996.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    837.1 KB · Views: 60
  • spreader light test.jpg
    spreader light test.jpg
    999.3 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: Heyspike

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I asked the same question a couple of years ago right here.

Still VERY happy with my choice, I added an overhead box, spreader lights, and enclosure (very) shortly after getting the top done. I did that myself, had the guy that made the hardtop drill between pipes and give me an access plate. All wiring is internal and clean!

Best part (to me) is that it is custom. My buddy is 2" or so taller than me. I had my rod holders mounted slightly lower. I can easily pull out any rod or net that is up there. On his boat I have to stand on the fish box or cooler to pull a rod all the way out. Also the wiring plate was HUGE to me. I would have hated having any wire zip tied to the tubes

So nice!

Yea, I had a brainstorm this morning. Already emailed Jerry asking what sort of lead-time they needed. If they do not need a major lead-time, instead of shipping the boat to my house, I can just ship it to them, let them install the new top, then ship it to my house.

Means I do not get to see it till after, lol... but, to get the quality and save money... should be worth it.

Hoping they can get to it. The alternative is shipping the boat and top to me and me doing it myself or paying someone not experienced with it :(

R

Man, your top looks sweet, btw.

No-one like PenWeld around me or the place that the boat is at currently, that I am aware of.

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Koz great top, I'm in the process of picking up a Seafarer now, will be looking for a top for next season. Going to run the Bimini this year. I'm in NY too, where did you get it?

Koz, did a search and found it. Penweld. Nice job,going to have to contact him.

Last edited:

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The Islander that I got is coming with a Bimini and a radar arch. As soon as it gets here, I plan to remove those and take it in for the hard top.

When I do, I plan to give away the radar arch and the bimini to whomever here wants/needs it.. just pay shipping and I will send it.

I am told there is an unused full enclosure with it. I doubt it will fit the new hard top.. we will see, but if not, I will let it go with the bimini as well.

Just trying to pass on the help I got, and doubt anyone would pay for one where I live and do not want it sitting around taking up room.. heh.. so.. I am sure there is a Grady that could use it on here.

Will let you know.

R

Reactions: root and Heyspike

Sjhopeiu

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The Islander that I got is coming with a Bimini and a radar arch. As soon as it gets here, I plan to remove those and take it in for the hard top.

When I do, I plan to give away the radar arch and the bimini to whomever here wants/needs it.. just pay shipping and I will send it.

I am told there is an unused full enclosure with it. I doubt it will fit the new hard top.. we will see, but if not, I will let it go with the bimini as well.

Just trying to pass on the help I got, and doubt anyone would pay for one where I live and do not want it sitting around taking up room.. heh.. so.. I am sure there is a Grady that could use it on here.

Will let you know.

R
Hey Russ. I am looking at a couple Islanders this coming week and will likely be buying an 01 without the radar arch. I live in Florida but travel to Texas 4-5 a year for work. I would love to grab it if things work out.

Scott

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Oh heck yea.. it will be here waiting for you.

Want the bimini as well as the arch? I'll save both.

R

Sjhopeiu

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Oh heck yea.. it will be here waiting for you.

Want the bimini as well as the arch? I'll save both.

R
Thats awesome. Thank you. The one I am wanting to buy has a bimini but yours may be in better condition. I'll take it off your hands either way.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
That is fine. If this one is better, all yours, otherwise, we will give it to the next person that needs one heh. The arch, all yours too.

R

Sjhopeiu

Reaction score
Model
Islander
That is fine. If this one is better, all yours, otherwise, we will give it to the next person that needs one heh. The arch, all yours too.

R
Sounds perfect. If someone comes along with the immediate need on either one don't hesitate to pass them on. Much appreciated.

Sjhopeiu

Reaction score
Model
Islander

R
Sounds perfect. If someone comes along with the immediate need on either one don't hesitate to pass them on. Much appreciated.