Any Grady owners fishing the Great Lakes

GH236

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Not fishing yet but will be dry docking our new 236 in Grand Haven. Any other GW owners around Grand Haven?

Reactions: Walleyze

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I chase Walleye and perch on Lake Erie out of Grosse Ile, MI and then move over to Lake Michigan a few times in the summer for salmon in my Gulfstream.

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hey some activity in this thread! Another Gulfstream owner fishing walleye out of Monroe on Lake Erie, and salmon on Lk MI when I can:cool:

Reactions: Walleyze and GH236

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Denko send me a private message and we can compare note on Erie and Lake Michigan....I am getting ready to plan my spring trip for Coho and Kings to Lake Michigan. I have a 225 four stroke with an 8 HP High Thrust kicker that I use for all my trolling. I can troll as slow as I need for EYES and in lake michigan I can troll as fast as I need.....no issues. The trolling motor is the best....Yamaha's all the way...the best

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks for the info.

I have twin 200's on my Gulfstream. Can't wait to get out for Coho and Chinooks this year! I guess I will play around with speeds on a singe engine (with second down for drag) +/- a drag bag

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have twin 150's it's tough to get down much under 1.8 even with 2 bags...

Walleyze

Reaction score
I have been wanting a Grady for years and have been looking a different models for the past year. I live in southern Mid-Michigan and will be trailering mostly to Erie but some trips to Lake Michigan. Because of trailering, I have been leaning toward towards a used 208. What do you guys think about used Gradys from the coast (saltwater)? I would much prefer a fresh water only used boat, but the 208's are basically nonexistent.

Reactions: GH236

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have been wanting a Grady for years and have been looking a different models for the past year. I live in southern Mid-Michigan and will be trailering mostly to Erie but some trips to Lake Michigan. Because of trailering, I have been leaning toward towards a used 208. What do you guys think about used Gradys from the coast (saltwater)? I would much prefer a fresh water only used boat, but the 208's are basically nonexistent.

I have a 228 I rescued from it's saltwater life and trailer everywhere from Kentucky. We fish Erie, Santee-Cooper in SC, and play down in Florida with it. You can find some freshwater Grady's but it's hard.

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Mine is salty as well. As long as you're prepared to deal with the (hopefully) minor issues that brings, I don't see what the big deal is.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I purchased my 232 new and have a 225 four stroke with a 8 high thrust yamaha kicker for trolling, it pushes the boat for speeds slow for eye and fast enough for salmon on lake michigan. As others have said, do your homework and if a salty just make sure you check it out, I am sure it will be a great boat if cared for properly.

jtselios10

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I fish a 282 out of Monroe on Lake Erie. I have twin 250s and I run a single 40” bag I can get down to 1.3-1.5. I run no bag and tabs down I get 2.2-2.4 while running spoons for eyes.

Reactions: Denko and Walleyze

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I ended up purchasing a salt water boat as well 232's were pretty hard to come by in the fresh water. I saw one once, but it went too quick for me to act.

Try to find a salt water boat with as few issues as possible. That being said, all used boats will have some.

Walleyze

Reaction score
After some indepth searching, I can see the East Coast has a decent used market. I will remain patient. I may even wait another year. My goal is for a solid boat then repower after a few years. Thanks for sll your help and input.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
After some indepth searching, I can see the East Coast has a decent used market. I will remain patient. I may even wait another year. My goal is for a solid boat then repower after a few years. Thanks for sll your help and input.

Pretty much what I did. Being a saltwater boat it had some things needing attention and I've worked through all that. It has good bones and now I'm waiting on the dealer to call me for my repower when the motor arrives. I had planned all along to repower, but really didn't get in a hurry as I had replaced the exhaust and associated items that are accessible when you do the exhaust. F225 seems to be running strong, but am excited about the repower to the 4.2 F250.

Walleyze

Reaction score
KY Grady, Does your boat have bottom paint? I prefer the nonpainted look.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That would be a no. I don't care for bottom paint on a trailered boat.

20180129_120542.jpg

Walleyze

Reaction score
I am leaning towards the 228 over the 208. I am thinking a bit longer might be better for setting lines.