Anyone add a 2nd Bilge pump in the stern of their boat?

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hi guys, thinking about adding a 2nd bilge pump to my GW Adventure 208. Just as a safety precaution. Has anyone done this? Any pics of the set up?
In addition to the 1 rule bilge pump I do have in the boat, I have manual pumps on board.
I fish mostly offshore in So Cal - 20 to 50 miles.
What do you guys think?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I would try to put one forward if possible but yes a backup is a good thing to have.

Doing a retro fwd pump can be tough on smaller boats. I did it on a Wellcraft. Had to cut/reconfigure the center fish box but it was worth it.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I would try to put one forward if possible but yes a backup is a good thing to have.

Doing a retro fwd pump can be tough on smaller boats. I did it on a Wellcraft. Had to cut/reconfigure the center fish box but it was worth it.
Thanks, I don't really how that could be done on my 208. I may be missing something though.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
From pix of 208s I'm guessing there is space between the seats, between fuel tank and cabin door. There might be a second tank or water tank there though?

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
From pix of 208s I'm guessing there is space between the seats, between fuel tank and cabin door. There might be a second tank or water tank there though?
Hi Lee - there are 2 hatches in front of the seats at the helm, these don't provide access to the center line of the boat though, they provide access to overflow hoses that drain the cockpit overboard. There is a small 1inch drain in the cuddy, which I suspect drains into the center line of the boat - I dont want to cut that up to install a hatch plate though.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'd recommend making the second one a 'high water' or 'emergency' pump. This one would only need a float switch (makes wiring easy, too) and you would mount the float switch a few inches higher (an L-bracket/shelf attached to a stringer, for example) than the main pump. I'd also suggest making the emergency pump a higher GPH unit.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
That's what I was thinking Dennis, if I did the install it would be set up like that.
Is setting up a 2nd pump like this standard practice for a boat used offshore, or am I overthinking this?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Overthinking? No. While I don't know if I'd call it "standard" practice, it's certainly something that is common... and definitely can't hurt to do it!

Speaking of "overthinking" that really is NOT overthinking... Do you also have bungs/plugs/Sta-Plug/Stay afloat/toilet bowl wax ring - something like those things? Yes, I absolutely meant to type 'toilet bowl wax ring'!

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
yep - I do have a few rubber stoppers/plugs. I also think (thanks for the reminder!!) I have sta-plug on the boat. Thanks!

Mike Bailey

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Consider adding a LOUD alarm that is activated by the second pump switch. That way you are aware of excessive water in the bilge.
I did this to my 1990 280 Marlin after my previous boat capsized 35 miles offshore because I didnt realize the bilge was flooded.
Every now and then you will hear the alarm for a second or two when running in heavy seas. But I have always found it comforting to know it was working.

bac0701

Reaction score
theres a whole thread on this on THT and I'm sure plenty of info.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The most debated points in all these back-up bilge pump threads is, should the second pump be mounted higher, or just the second float switch is higher, and should it be switched.
Personally, I say mount them all as low as possible, it is not just a high water back up, it is also to back up a failure in the primary. It can't do that if the pump is mounted significantly higher. Mounting the second float switch just high enough that it doesn't come on every time the primary does is okay, but they all need a manual switch to turn them on, if needed. That would eliminate pumps with built in switches as a back up, for me.
I want to know every time a pump comes on, that means a light and/or an alarm at the helm.

This is probably the THT thread referenced above. An extreme case of how not to mount a second pump, IMHO.

DogBone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I will add my two cents: I added a second bilge pump in the stern of my Grady. I mounted it and its float switch about 3 inches higher than the other. Two reasons I think mounting it higher is better: one, it doesn't turn on all of the time and compete with the lower bilge pump, two, it rarely sits in water making it possibly last longer. Also if you can wire it to a different battery than the first one, you will eliminate a battery being a single point of failure for both bilge pumps. As an emergency high water back up, I think adding an alarm to the higher one is a great idea. If the higher one is coming on, something is not right and it is good to be alerted.

Reactions: Sparkdog118

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I like the reasoning behind mounting the HW pump a couple inches higher than the regular pump simply to keep it out of the bilge "mess". But, a bilge really shouldn't be messy - cleaning the bilge is just part of boating. But it' still a good idea, none the less. The switch could be even higher, still - whatever you think is appropriate for when you want the HW pump to turn on.

And, yes, an alarm is a good idea - and very easy to do, too.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Again - thanks for the continued ideas on this, if I go this route - I will mount higher - not sure at this time him much higher - but 3-4 inches seems about right to me.
Dogbone which model Grady do you have?

DogBone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Sdfish, I have a 1993 Gulfstream. It has pretty good access to the stern bilge area. 3-4 inches should keep it mostly dry, unless it is needed.