Anyone running E-tec

PA228G

Reaction score
Re-powered with a 2006 250hp E-Tec last year when my '94 Johnson gave up. I haven't put a lot of hours on it yet, but I love it so far. Have some friends that run theirs harder with no complaints. One cool feature - depending on where you're located - is the ability to have the motor run its own "winterize" cycle at the end of the season.

You will have to get used to is the noise (or lack thereof). I got in the habit of starting the old Johnson before releasing it from the bow eye because I was never sure what might be in store that day. Second time I put the boat in with the new motor on it and cranked - I immediately started swearing thinking something was wrong - nope it was running but not making all the racket I was used to.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply I was wondering if anyone on the fourm had an Etec. Good info.
I'm most likely going to repower with the 300,been doing tons of research and due to price,weight,maintenance and until Monday the 6 year warranty this may be the best option for me.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Never owned one but read about them now and then on The hull truth. Seems some people hate them because of a friend of a friend that owned one and others claim they would buy nothing else. Check it outs its rather entertaining.
Good luck
Nick

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Nick. Yes I've been watching some of the post on THT and it seems like people who own them love them people who don't own them hate them. I thought I would get more response from grady owners but I guess not many grady owners run E-tec.

Dabo

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tournament 205 with a 200 hp ETEC. This is my first season with the boat. I am very happy with the combination. The ETEC is quiet, has plenty of power, and I've had zero problems with it so far.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dabo said:
I have a 2007 Tournament 205 with a 200 hp ETEC. This is my first season with the boat. I am very happy with the combination. The ETEC is quiet, has plenty of power, and I've had zero problems with it so far.
Thanks Dabo. If you don't mind are you getting good numbers on fuel or can you tell ?

Dabo

Reaction score
I have not kept track of the fuel numbers. But in terms of oil, I have been using about a gallon of xd-100 oil for every 80-90 gallons of gas.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I will be hanging a 250 Optimax at the back of my 228G very soon, I bought the boat in GA last March and had it shipped to Sydney Australia. She has a 250 Yam 2 stroke EFI, I'll take her out tomorrow for the first time for some tests, then the Yammie comes off and the brand new Opti goes on.
I want to compare the 2 engines .

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Try 'Finest Kind', he put twin etecs on a few years ago. I see him on the water but not on here in a while.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
The E-Tec does get worse fuel economy than a 4S of equivalent hp, according to independent tests I've seen it comes to about 2 gph or so. The oil is outrageously expensive, over $ 30 a gallon for the XD-100 was the cheapest I ever found it online and I've seen it go for $ 50 a gallon retail at many marinas. GWs have had Yamahas installed forever, putting an E-Tec on one will make it a real orphan which will really hurt when you go to sell your boat. You're going to take a much bigger loss than if it had a 4S plus it's going to take along longer to sell it too because the pool of people interested in a 2S anymore is really small, especially now that buyers expect to see a 4S on a GW. Verify this with any reputable broker and they'll tell you the same thing. Maybe this is why there are virtually no salt water fishing boat manufacturers that install only the E-Tec anymore, all of them use 4Ss now.

Another big negative of the E-Tec is it will not last anywhere near as long as a 4S. There are many reports of 4S owners getting several thousand hours of use on their engines, no way will a 2S E-Tec last nearly as long. Yet the E-Tec costs nearly the same as a 4S.

Also, don't buy into the E-tec's claim of no maintenance for 3 yrs or 300 hours. It says right in the E-Tec owners manual, if you use the boat in salt water annual maintenace is required. If you disregard it you'll void your warranty, you're really just gambling with your engine that you paid tens of thousands for just to save some money. When you include the cost of the 2S oil as well as the required yearly maintenance you'll be spending nearly as much money on an E-Tec as you do on a 4S.

Bottom line, the E-Tec is nowhere near as good a value as a 4S, that's why salt water fishing boat manufacturers like GW don't put them on their boats and the boat buying public vastly prefers 4Ss.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SoutheastFL thanks for your concern on my possible choice of outboards! I'd like to address the resale of my grady and I don't want to sound like I'm trying to be smart with you but if I were buying a motor for an investment I'd buy a CD because you are going to loose your a-- as soon as any motor is hung on the back of the boat. I'll also say that I have run Mercury, Yamaha, and two Johnson outboards, which I'm running a Johnson 225 as of now.
I've blown up a 115 Johnson and a 115 Yamaha. Both were good motors and both were used many years. I'm leaning to the E-tec because of weight and money up front and I've done a lot of research, I know the Yami weight is not much more than the E-tec but I think all the motors are better than they were just a few years ago.
Most likely 90% of the readers on the grady site run Yamaha but there a few of us that run other's and I beleive E-tec's are good motors. I would like to add that I'm looking at the 300HP
Thanks

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
Of course anything related to boating isn't an "investment" as you suggested, boats are a depreciating asset period. It's going to be very tough to sell a used boat with a 2S on it, especially when all the same models have a Yamaha 4S on it, the 2S will sell for alot less. Like I said, check with a broker to confirm. The reports I've read about the 300 Etec showed it burned significantly more fuel than the 250 Etec and only delivered about 2-3 mph more. The new technology in the Yamaha F300 is head and shoulders above and the weight difference is insignificant.

Sounds like you only wanted to hear the answer you were looking for, sorry the truth disappointed you.

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
SoutheastFL said:
The E-Tec does get worse fuel economy than a 4S of equivalent hp, according to independent tests I've seen it comes to about 2 gph or so. The oil is outrageously expensive, over $ 30 a gallon for the XD-100 was the cheapest I ever found it online and I've seen it go for $ 50 a gallon retail at many marinas. GWs have had Yamahas installed forever, putting an E-Tec on one will make it a real orphan which will really hurt when you go to sell your boat. You're going to take a much bigger loss than if it had a 4S plus it's going to take along longer to sell it too because the pool of people interested in a 2S anymore is really small, especially now that buyers expect to see a 4S on a GW. Verify this with any reputable broker and they'll tell you the same thing. Maybe this is why there are virtually no salt water fishing boat manufacturers that install only the E-Tec anymore, all of them use 4Ss now.

Another big negative of the E-Tec is it will not last anywhere near as long as a 4S. There are many reports of 4S owners getting several thousand hours of use on their engines, no way will a 2S E-Tec last nearly as long. Yet the E-Tec costs nearly the same as a 4S.

Also, don't buy into the E-tec's claim of no maintenance for 3 yrs or 300 hours. It says right in the E-Tec owners manual, if you use the boat in salt water annual maintenace is required. If you disregard it you'll void your warranty, you're really just gambling with your engine that you paid tens of thousands for just to save some money. When you include the cost of the 2S oil as well as the required yearly maintenance you'll be spending nearly as much money on an E-Tec as you do on a 4S.

Bottom line, the E-Tec is nowhere near as good a value as a 4S, that's why salt water fishing boat manufacturers like GW don't put them on their boats and the boat buying public vastly prefers 4Ss.

You sure sound a lot like FloridaDan from THT before he was banned.
It starts at the bottom of the first page and goes on for 6 pages.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... -teks.html

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
I copied alot of the info I learned from his posts. I checked out everything he wrote and found it to be correct. If you've got factual info to dispute any of it I'll be glad to see it, otherwise it's just one E-Tec owners opinion. He was the only one in those discussions that stated the true facts, others couldn't refute any of it so they resorted to attacks. The moderator over there is also in charge of advertising and is bought and paid for by the E-Tec crowd so be careful how much integrity you think he has.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SoutheastFL said:
I copied alot of the info I learned from his posts. I checked out everything he wrote and found it to be correct. If you've got factual info to dispute any of it I'll be glad to see it, otherwise it's just one E-Tec owners opinion. He was the only one in those discussions that stated the true facts, others couldn't refute any of it so they resorted to attacks. The moderator over there is also in charge of advertising and is bought and paid for by the E-Tec crowd so be careful how much integrity you think he has.
Well southeast you and Fl Dan should stay away from E-tec, now for my original question.
"Anyone running a E-tec"

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
GW VOYAGER said:
SoutheastFL said:
Well southeast you and Fl Dan should stay away from E-tec, now for my original question.
"Anyone running a E-tec"

And you should stop critizing people for posting factual info simply because it's not what you wanted to hear. Until such time that they are disproven I will continue to post anytime someone asks for info.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SoutheastFL said:
"Anyone running a E-tec"
SoutheastFL said:
And you should stop critizing people for posting factual info simply because it's not what you wanted to hear. Until such time that they are disproven I will continue to post anytime someone asks for info.

southeast what I mean is that you and Fl Dan should not "buy" an E-tec since you dislike them so much.
You can post whatever you like and the readers an I may decide what they beleive to be fact of fiction.
Thanks again for shareing your views.