Anyone running E-tec

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
Grog said:
Nobody on this board is going to see anywhere near 10,000 hours on an outboard. Even at 200 hours a year it's 50 years. Any 2 stroke will "hurt" resale but older hulls weren't designed for the weight of 4 strokes and they're better off with the 2 stroke. When people look at used boats, even the 4 stroke powered ones, if the motors have 1000 hours they say they're old and unreliable. You never repower a boat (new motors) for resale, you're going to loose every time.

Agree with most of what you wrote. Down here being able to boat all year round it's very easy to put 300 + hours on a year if you fish alot. The weight difference between 2Ss and modern 4Ss isn't as big a difference now that Yamaha has come out with their new generation of engines thus giving older boats more choices. I disagree when you said 1,000 hours on a 4S makes it an "old" engine, they regulary go for thousands more if properly maintained.

Of course you're going to lose money in boating no matter what you buy but after speaking with several well respected brokers they convinced me you will most definately lose alot more selling a salt water fishing boat with a 2S as opposed to a 4S.

Wellcraft's number one dealer in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl still had new model 2007 boats with Etecs on them for sale as late as May of 2009. He told me “From a new boat dealer perspective, the few boats we have with E-Tecs are the only 2007 model year boats remaining in inventory, they just do not move as quickly as Mercury or Yamaha, in fact, Yamaha powered boats are usually the quickest sellers." They sell all three engines, have been in business for decades, and are ranked as one of the best 100 dealers in the country. They don't stock boats with Etecs on them anymore for this reason.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks to each of you Grog, family affair and CatTwentyTwo. Motor is shipped and dealer said it should be in any day. May be a few weeks before any reports due to work but looking foward to getting it installed and checking out some of the numbers. Grog if you take the hrs to another level 500 hrs a year would take 20 years to get the 10,000 mark. Also the difference in price quoted me between Yamaha and E-tec was approx. $3,000.
That leaves a little more to loose at resale.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
GW VOYAGER said:
if you take the hrs to another level 500 hrs a year would take 20 years to get the 10,000 mark. Also the difference in price quoted me between Yamaha and E-tec was approx. $3,000.

Only an Etec owner would want his new engine, that he paid thousands of dollars for, to NOT last as long as it possibly could. :dance

Don't worry in your case you'll get exactly what you wish ( and paid ) for.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Gw,
Who selects the prop for you? I would make sure the dealer gives you options to try rather than send you out the door with a best guess that they won't let you exchange.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
family affair said:
Gw,
Who selects the prop for you? I would make sure the dealer gives you options to try rather than send you out the door with a best guess that they won't let you exchange.
family I haven't discussed that with the dealer but he is located on the water and I will run the boat. I think he is a straight dealer and would be suprised if he didn't set it up right.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
CatTwentyTwo said:
GW VOYAGER said:
300 E-tec ordered should be here any day and very excited.

GW, you know we're going to want pictures when you get it mounted. :)
Cat I will try to post pic's but will have to get my 10 year old grandson to help me. LOL

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
GW VOYAGER said:
CatTwentyTwo said:
GW VOYAGER said:
300 E-tec ordered should be here any day and very excited.

GW, you know we're going to want pictures when you get it mounted. :)
Cat I will try to post pic's but will have to get my 10 year old grandson to help me. LOL

Boy, isn't that the truth, you're lucky to have a grandson to help out. I'm still trying to get that flashing 12:00 off my VCR. :lol:

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
GW VOYAGER said:
Thanks to each of you Grog, family affair and CatTwentyTwo. Motor is shipped and dealer said it should be in any day. May be a few weeks before any reports due to work but looking foward to getting it installed and checking out some of the numbers. Grog if you take the hrs to another level 500 hrs a year would take 20 years to get the 10,000 mark. Also the difference in price quoted me between Yamaha and E-tec was approx. $3,000.

You will love the motor. I have been running the 300hp for 5 years on a 232 and it has been great. Fuel ecomomy jumped 39% going from the Yamaha 250hp that was on it previously. Enjoy it..!

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NIGHTIDES said:
You will love the motor. I have been running the 300hp for 5 years on a 232 and it has been great. Fuel ecomomy jumped 39% going from the Yamaha 250hp that was on it previously. Enjoy it..!
That is good information NIGHTIDES! If you don't mind answering ,with the 39% increase, what kind of gal per mile numbers are you getting now?

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
GW VOYAGER said:
NIGHTIDES said:
That is good information NIGHTIDES! If you don't mind answering ,with the 39% increase, what kind of gal per mile numbers are you getting now?

RPM MPG PROP SLIP
3500 2.40 25.0%
4000 2.34 16.0%
4500 2.06 11.0%
5000 1.92 15.0%

These numbers are using a 17 pitch Rebel prop that works perfectly with this hull / engine setup.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Those numbers look good to me. I think my Voyager is underpowered with my single 225 Johnson. Although I get on plane easy I am only getting about 1 mile per gal. and will welcome 2. A seventy mile trip and 70 gal. turnes into 35 gal. I can stand that.
I believe that 225 was the largest HP johnson had in 96. Up front if I am wrong I stand to be corrected.
Thanks Steve

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
GW VOYAGER said:
Those numbers look good to me. I think my Voyager is underpowered with my single 225 Johnson. Although I get on plane easy I am only getting about 1 mile per gal. and will welcome 2. A seventy mile trip and 70 gal. turnes into 35 gal. I can stand that.
I believe that 225 was the largest HP johnson had in 96. Up front if I am wrong I stand to be corrected.
Thanks Steve

By the way, WOT 42.7 @5600RPM. Hard top=yes; bottom paint=yes ( and in smooth very very good condition; hope yours is the same because it really helps with the MPG.) And yes you very well may be underpowered.

Good luck!

4Grady

Reaction score
Repowered a 18ft Lund fishing boat from a 2stroke 140hp Johnson to a 150hp E-tec a few years back. Fuel consumption was better by about 20% power was better but not nearly what the sales pitch said it would be. I really liked how quiet it was. It seemed to run well on just about anything I put in it for fuel. Seemed like the break in period lasted forever and they run rich during this break in but after that it cleans up nicely. They're kinda spendy and if I ever had to replace the Yama 250 2 strokes on my 265Express I think I would try Verado's instead of Etec's.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks 4Grady! I'm sure Mercury Verado is a great outboard but one of the reasons I picked E-TEC is the weight.
I need a 30 In shaft and the 300 Verado weighs in at 635 for the ligtest model,don't know what the 30"shaft weighs.
I have also read great reviews and good customer service on the E-TEC.

4Grady

Reaction score
Given your parameters, the Etec is the ONLY outboard I would consider. Best 2 stroke on the market for sure.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok big day comming Sat. , I take my Voyager in to get fitted with the new 300 E-TEC. I'm brave because the dealer is on the coast of Fl.
With the storm headed our way and my luck, well you know what I mean. Wish us luck.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well this darn storm is going to put my E-TECH off a few more days.
Due to marina being on gulf coast I have to wait a few more days so we can see which way this thing is going. %#%^&&$#@# :cry:

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok I took my Voyager to the marina Wed. so it shouldn't be long before my new motor is installed. :D