2000 8 4.25 1.9
2500 10 6.79 1.5
3000 12 8.49 1.4
3500 26 8.81 3
4000 32 10.81 3
4500 36 13.59 2.6
5000 40 16.98 2.4
5500 43 21.61 2

The fuel burn on the low end of "X" engine is worse, but look at the cruze #. The test weights of the boats are within 3-400 lbs of one another.

Hey southeast, you seem to know a lot. What engine do you think put up these #'s? Oh, and where is the evidence for your claims? :doh

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
family affair said:
Hey southeast, you seem to know a lot. What engine do you think put up these #'s? Oh, and where is the evidence for your claims? :doh

You want "evidence" sure no problem !!!

Here's a test I found done by an independent company that verifies the poor fuel economy of the Etec.

In Powerboat Reports magazine they tested three identically rigged Wellcraft 232's CC's, one with a Verado 250 hp, a Yamaha F 250, and an e-tec 250.

- At the most common cruising speed of 35 mph the Verado burned 11.6 gph, the F250 burned 11.8 gph, and the etec used the most at 13.9 gph. With gas on the water costing $ 4.00 + a gallon it costs $ 8 an hour MORE to run the etecs than a 4S. If you run your boat just 100 hours a year it's going to cost you $ 800 a year MORE in fuel just to run the etecs. And what did you get for all that extra money ? Absolutley nothing.

- PBR ranked the Verado first, the Yamaha F250 second and the etec last because it delivered the worst fuel economy. This publication does NOT accept any advertising from ANY engine manufacturer and do NOT have a conflict of interest, their reporting is independent !

The $ 30 + a gallon price I quoted of the Etec's xd-100 oil can be verified by checking domo-online.com, retail prices approaching $ 50 a gallon can be verified at a local marina.

The poor resale of the Etec can be verified from a very well respected boat broker who's sold over 600 boats, anglersedgemarine.com He confirmed that the vast majority of boat buyers want a 4S and that boats with 2Ss will sell for ALOT less and take much longer to sell as well. He's even an advertiser right here on this very forum, call him up or ask any other reputable broker, they'll tell you the same thing.

At last count there were over two dozen salt water boat manufacturers who install ONLY 4Ss on the boats they build. They are Angler, Boston Whaler, Cobia, Contender, Deep Impact, Edgewater, Everglades, Grady-White, Hydra-Sport, Invincible, Jupiter, Mako, Polar, Pursuit, Regulator, Robalo, Sailfish, Scout, SeaHunt, SeaFox, SeaSwirl, Southport, Stamas, Trophy, WorldCat, and Yellowfin.

And how many salt water fishing boat builders install just the 2S Etec ? None. Shows what the boat buying public really wants and how little confidence boat builders have in the Etec.

As far as 4Ss outlasting a 2S once again there are plenty of testimonials from 4Ss owners whose engines have several thousands of hours on them. The USCG got over 10,000 on their Honda 4Ss, go ask them. Check with a Honda or Yamaha dealer if you need confirmation and then see how many Etecs you can find with 10,000 hours on the same powerhead.

Regarding the required annual maintanance an Etec requires when used in salt water check the owners manual itself. Evinrude specifically lists everyone of them and even someone like you can read it for yourself.

I backed up everyone of my facts, where's your "evidence" to disprove them ?

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
GW VOYAGER said:
southeast what I mean is that you and Fl Dan should not "buy" an E-tec since you dislike them so much.
You can post whatever you like and the readers an I may decide what they beleive to be fact of fiction.
Thanks again for shareing your views.

I let the facts tell me which engine to buy, I don't need your biased advise.

P.S. You might want to spell check your responses before you post, "beleive and shareing" ! :roll:

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thank you for the information family affair, and also a special big thank you to Southeastfl for correcting my spelling. If you read many of my post you will wear yourself out correcting my spelling :goodjob
I get the picture southeastfl, I went to tht and read a huge number of post which you and Dan shot down E-tec.
E-tec :-|southeastfl Wow what a beatdown from you. You seem to have a personal vendetta against them. Did you work for them at on time?

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
southeast I just searched your post on this site and was quite suprised that I don't find much of anything that you do like :doh
If people reading this thread do the same they may take your post with a grain of salt. :sorry

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
GW VOYAGER said:
southeast I just searched your post on this site and was quite suprised that I don't find much of anything that you do like :doh
If people reading this thread do the same they may take your post with a grain of salt. :sorry

Your reading skills are as bad as your spelling. I am still waiting for you to refute any of the facts I listed, or do you claim to know more about the boating market than anglesedgemarine ( who's sold over 600 boats ) or the two dozen + boat builders I listed who install only 4Ss on everyone of the boats they make. :<><

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
HarleyFLHP said:
I would guess that SE FL other name is IKE:
I=I
K=Know
E=Everything

I have owned two Grady's, my first one had a 4-stroke Yamaha 200 and I just re-powered my current Grady with an Etec 200. The Yamaha was a great motor, but no comparison to the Etec. My Etec sips the gas AND oil and get better economy than my Yamaha did. The biggest difference I noticed is the torque of the Etec. I have had many offers to purchase my Grady regardless of what engine is on it. Anyone who speaks so harshly about an Etec must not have owned one. If you are in the NY area, feel free to come out on a ride and I will show you my Grady WITH AN ETEC!

You should not of made this personal, you know it's going to get thrown right back at you. I would guess that HarleyFLHP's other name is: ILAME - I Lost Alot of Money on Etecs.

Yeah your Etecs are so superior that of the TENS OF THOUSANDS of boats collectively built by the two dozen salt water boat manufacturers I listed NOT EVEN ONE had an Etec on it. Terrific endorsement for them isn't it ? :lol:

When you own a company that makes more boats than they do you be sure to come back on here and tell us how you know better. Until then your comments are just one opinion from an owner with a very closed mind to the facts. Enjoy losing alot of your money on your Etec ILAME.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So how did the mean spirit of THT find its way here? Moderators, please don't let this crap contaminate this site. I will not be donating until I see no more of this - we don't need it.

Gary 93 Gulfstream

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I asked a simple question on this thread and I can't help that southeast entered into with negetives. I will not sit by without answering his post.
He doesn't add anything constructive to any thread which he has been a part of. Fl dan which many think is southeastfl has been banned from tht.
Heck it takes a lot to be banned from there. If you want me off grady forum so be it just click it and I'm gone. But remember I asked a question and southeastfl started his crap. Thanks

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
GW VOYAGER said:
I asked a simple question on this thread and I can't help that southeast entered into with negetives. I will not sit by without answering his post.
He doesn't add anything constructive to any thread which he has been a part of. Fl dan which many think is southeastfl has been banned from tht.
Heck it takes a lot to be banned from there. If you want me off grady forum so be it just click it and I'm gone. But remember I asked a question and southeastfl started his crap. Thanks

The fact is YOU STARTED this when you told me on p. 2 - "Well southeast you and Fl Dan should stay away from E-tec". You accuse me of being someone else and then tell me to stay away after I merely stated facts that directly answered your question. You're all upset cause the facts I shared didn't agree with what you wanted to hear. If you can't stand to hear the truth then don't ask the question in the first place. Don't ever accuse me of being someone else and then tell me what I should do and expect me to take your abuse.

Someone else then asked for "evidence" to back up those facts and once my response directly answered his question as well.

You didn't like those facts too so you took it personal once again and said - "You seem to have a personal vendetta against them." I have a personal vendetta for sharing facts that directly answered someone's question ? Once again it was simply because you didn't like the facts about your engine.

You can sure dish out the personal attacks but you whine like alittle baby when they're returned. If you don't like it then guess what - don't attack someone in the first place for directly answering your question with facts that you can't stand to hear. It's called the truth, grow up and accept it.

And NEW member HarleyFLHP violated the forums rules against personal attacks and took it a step further. He can dish it out too but whines like a baby when the same thing is returned to him. Once again HE STARTED this and I will not ever tolerate his abuse either. I welcome the moderators response to him breaking the forums rules.

Bottom line - You have no one but YOURSELF to blame for how this turned out. After I directly answered your question with simple facts YOU STARTED in with the personal attacks and I nor anyone else is obligated to take your abuse when we simply answered your question. The purpose of this forum is to share info not only with the original poster but everyone else who has an interest in the subject. Stop acting like you're the only one who's important here, you're not.

And don't EVER acuse me of being someone else, that just shows how desperate and low you will stoop to be right when you are very wrong.

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
SoutheastFL said:
GW VOYAGER said:

The fact is YOU STARTED this when you told me on p. 2 - "Well southeast you and Fl Dan should stay away from E-tec". You accuse me of being someone else and then tell me to stay away after I merely stated facts that directly answered your question. You're all upset cause the facts I shared didn't agree with what you wanted to hear. If you can't stand to hear the truth then don't ask the question in the first place. Don't ever accuse me of being someone else and then tell me what I should do and expect me to take your abuse.

Someone else then asked for "evidence" to back up those facts and once my response directly answered his question as well.

You didn't like those facts too so you took it personal once again and said - "You seem to have a personal vendetta against them." I have a personal vendetta for sharing facts that directly answered someone's question ? Once again it was simply because you didn't like the facts about your engine.

You can sure dish out the personal attacks but you whine like alittle baby when they're returned. If you don't like it then guess what - don't attack someone in the first place for directly answering your question with facts that you can't stand to hear. It's called the truth, grow up and accept it.

And NEW member HarleyFLHP violated the forums rules against personal attacks and took it a step further. He can dish it out too but whines like a baby when the same thing is returned to him. Once again HE STARTED this and I will not ever tolerate his abuse either. I welcome the moderators response to him breaking the forums rules.

Bottom line - You have no one but YOURSELF to blame for how this turned out. After I directly answered your question with simple facts YOU STARTED in with the personal attacks and I nor anyone else is obligated to take your abuse when we simply answered your question. The purpose of this forum is to share info not only with the original poster but everyone else who has an interest in the subject. Stop acting like you're the only one who's important here, you're not.

And don't EVER acuse me of being someone else, that just shows how desperate and low you will stoop to be right when you are very wrong.

Hey now, give credit where credit is due. I think I'm the one that pointed out the similarities between you and FloridaDan. :p Oh, and by the way, what is up with your use of the word "facts", does your mommy give you an extra cookie for every time you use it in a sentence?

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
CatTwentyTwo said:
SoutheastFL said:
GW VOYAGER said:

Hey now, give credit where credit is due. I think I'm the one that pointed out the similarities between you and FloridaDan. :p Oh, and by the way, what is up with your use of the word "facts", does your mommy give you an extra cookie for every time you use it in a sentence?

You're the one that started the Fldan crap, shows how desperate you are when you can't disprove not even one of those "facts" doesn't it ? You go off topic and make personal attacks but whatever you do don't answer the original posters question nor disprove any of my responses. And you've proven how low class you are once again by resorting to more low class name calling.

I will not stoop to your level of low class name calling but instead will follow the forums rules and stay on topic.

So where are your "facts" to disprove what I wrote ?

Where are your independent tests to disprove the E-Tecs poor fuel economy, independently performed now not just from a biased Etec owner ???

Where are all the marinas that sell XD-100 for LESS than the prices I quoted, ie less than $ 30 a gallon ???

Where are all your well respected brokers, like anglersedgemarine who've sold hundreds of boats for many years, to disprove what he said ie that a boat with an Etec will sell for ALOT less and take alot longer to sell than one with a 4s ???

Where are your twenty five salt water boat manufacturers that install ONLY the Etec on their boats, you know just like the 25 that I listed that install ONLY 4Ss ???

Where are all the Etecs that have 10,000 hours on the same powerhead, just like the USCG has on their Honda 4Ss ???

Where does Evinrude themselves say in the Etec owners manual itself that if you use it in salt water it doesn't require annual maintenance anymore ???

Where are your FACTS to disprove everyone of these ??? If the Etec is so superior to a 4S then back it up and show us. And don't resort to more low class name calling, it's really beneath you and ruins the topic.

We're all waiting.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
southeastfl enough is enough and this is my thread. I asked a question as my subject states and I've had all the reply's that I need from you. You add nothing to any post which I have read that you are involved in.
I will not respond to you again. If anyone else has any info I would like to hear from you.
Thanks

PA228G

Reaction score
Okay, that settles it - I'm selling my boat that I just re-powered with the E-TEC. What a dummy - despite the fact that it seems to have been a good fit for my old boat that ALREADY HAD A 2S ON IT. Oh wait, can't do that because it has zero re-sale value because it has an E-TEC on it. Now what?

And to think I clicked on this thread when I saw it had 3 pages of replys thinking I would learn something useful ...

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
GW VOYAGER said:
southeastfl enough is enough and this is my thread. I asked a question as my subject states and I've had all the reply's that I need from you. You add nothing to any post which I have read that you are involved in.
I will not respond to you again. If anyone else has any info I would like to hear from you.
Thanks

Guess the reality about Etecs is just too much for you to accept. Nonetheless you gave others a chance to learn the truth about them. :goodjob :goodjob :goodjob

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
GW VOYAGER said:
300 E-tec ordered should be here any day and very excited.

Congratulations GW, I'm sure you are going to be very happy with it and we will be looking forward to your reports.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nobody on this board is going to see anywhere near 10,000 hours on an outboard. Even at 200 hours a year it's 50 years. Any 2 stroke will "hurt" resale but older hulls weren't designed for the weight of 4 strokes and they're better off with the 2 stroke. When people look at used boats, even the 4 stroke powered ones, if the motors have 1000 hours they say they're old and unreliable. You never repower a boat (new motors) for resale, you're going to loose every time.