AutoPilot upgrade from manual hydraulic

SkunkBoat

Website
www.youtube.com
Grady White Model
Express 265
so I was at the boat trying to remove the wheel on the tilt helm
Nut came off no problem. Wheel is stuck to the tilt shaft.

I have pullers but no size that will work
The tilt bezel is in the way and I can't get a puller behind the wheel.
Tried pulling from the inside of the wheel where the nut is. The lip is too narrow for a good grip. When i got tension on it it just bent the stainless hub
soaking with WD40 and will try heat next time

Anybody run into this and have a solution that doesn't't involve destroying the plastic bezel of the tilt?..(they are $60)

IMG_1134.JPG

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
I went through the exact same thing on my previous boat. It also had the tilt helm and the same wheel. The way I got mine was this. I tilted the wheel all the way up...….then I positioned myself right up against the wheel and grabbed the wheel rim on opposite sides.... I lifted all I could lift, by having my legs bent a bit at the start, I was able to lift with my legs and get a good amount of pull......then I had my wife hold a piece of brass on the end of the shaft and tap it with a small ball peen hammer....just 3 or 4 smacks and it popped off. When you put it back, don't get carried away with torqueing the nut just in case you have to do it again some day. Incidentally, it is a tapered shaft so you don't have to move it but slightly for it to release.

Last edited: