AutoPilot upgrade from manual hydraulic

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
You should be plenty of room in there. I loved the access to the rigging on the 265.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
so I was at the boat trying to remove the wheel on the tilt helm
Nut came off no problem. Wheel is stuck to the tilt shaft.

I have pullers but no size that will work
The tilt bezel is in the way and I can't get a puller behind the wheel.
Tried pulling from the inside of the wheel where the nut is. The lip is too narrow for a good grip. When i got tension on it it just bent the stainless hub
soaking with WD40 and will try heat next time

Anybody run into this and have a solution that doesn't't involve destroying the plastic bezel of the tilt?..(they are $60)

IMG_1134.JPG

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I went through the exact same thing on my previous boat. It also had the tilt helm and the same wheel. The way I got mine was this. I tilted the wheel all the way up...….then I positioned myself right up against the wheel and grabbed the wheel rim on opposite sides.... I lifted all I could lift, by having my legs bent a bit at the start, I was able to lift with my legs and get a good amount of pull......then I had my wife hold a piece of brass on the end of the shaft and tap it with a small ball peen hammer....just 3 or 4 smacks and it popped off. When you put it back, don't get carried away with torqueing the nut just in case you have to do it again some day. Incidentally, it is a tapered shaft so you don't have to move it but slightly for it to release.

8cPWDx8h.jpg

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So its in! Did the Dock Setup. OK. Ready for the water.

To recap... you may have seen my other threads about Seastar Helms and fittings.

I was just about done wrapping up my old helm from installing an o-ring kit when I dropped it and ruined it.
So this project also involved installing a new Seastar Classic tilt 1.7 helm.
As a side project of that side project, we added new zerc fittings to the Yamahas, softened and flushed out dried old grease with WD40 and really got them moving smooth & easy.

Biggest piece of knowledge I can pass on is to use Parker part# 2TFMS-6-5b field replaceable fittings and make most of your own hoses. See my thread on fittings https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/field-replaceable-fittings-for-seastar-5-16id-hose.27057/
Also fittings in Seastar Kits HF5501 or HF5502 are not what you need for an "Outboard" Seastar 1000psi system with 5/16 ID tubing. And the diagrams associated with them are wrong for this setup.
Again, see the other post about fittings for pix.

I mounted the GHC20 display to the right of the tilt helm. .....hmmmm...Pix tomorrow!....
I mounted the CCU behind the drawers down in the cabin (that puts it under the captain's left foot). It appears to be far enough away from the FWpump.
The Smartpump is exactly the distance to the battery hookup to use the supplied power cable without extension!
All other cables have plenty of excess.

sch2VYwl.jpg

DcE8Mmtl.jpg

Last edited:

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Buy my Simrad AP44 in the For Sale area. Its a deal .........and has a complete sea star hose system. It was intended for my Marlin but the boat has been sold.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So I have made three 140 mile roundtrips in conditions from dead flat in the dark to a +20kt SW afternoon wind, snotty 3-5 off the port side for 40 miles.

All I can say is WOW!!!! Fantastic! Cross track error was less than 100 ft over 40 miles at 30 mph in that mess....WOW!!!
I could look out instead of down at the screen/compass. I could hold on and concentrate on the throttles.

Trolling is a DREAM!...even zig zag patterns!

And this BOAT rides GREAT! WOW!! The crew is happy!!!

:):cool::p:D

Last edited:

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Bringing up an old thread to keep everything organized for the next person in the future. I'm trying to get all of my materials for the AP install. Plan to put the pump through the cockpit tackle storage and the computer behind the salon drawers. Do you still like this set up 4 years later? I read your fittings thread a few times over too. The difference between your boat and mine is that i have the 1500psi hydraulic lines versus 1000. Does that have a different diameter for fittings? I'm really nervous about cutting the lines to insert a tee :). I think that i need 2 tee's, a 90 for the helm, the nylon compensation hose with fittings, shadow drive lines/fittings, and some small sections of hose with fittings to go from the tee to the pump. Would you say that your part numbers from the fittings thread is still accurate all of these years later? Thanks!!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Bringing up an old thread to keep everything organized for the next person in the future. I'm trying to get all of my materials for the AP install. Plan to put the pump through the cockpit tackle storage and the computer behind the salon drawers. Do you still like this set up 4 years later? I read your fittings thread a few times over too. The difference between your boat and mine is that i have the 1500psi hydraulic lines versus 1000. Does that have a different diameter for fittings? I'm really nervous about cutting the lines to insert a tee :). I think that i need 2 tee's, a 90 for the helm, the nylon compensation hose with fittings, shadow drive lines/fittings, and some small sections of hose with fittings to go from the tee to the pump. Would you say that your part numbers from the fittings thread is still accurate all of these years later? Thanks!!
I think the 1500 psi hose is going to change everything. I don't think the Parker part# 2TFMS-6-5b field replaceable fittings are going to work on 1500 psi tubing. I could be wrong . You'll have to research that.

Which helm do you have? A Classic tilt 1.7? Do you have a "Tournament" cylinder or two Tournament cylinders?

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
There is no good reason for the 1500. I have the hh5741 1.7 tilt helm that says 1000psi on it! She has a single ram, not pro, with a tie bar. I can only assume that when the 2005 motors were put on the 2003 ( it was in 2005 I’m told) hull they swapped out the hoses for some reason???? I might just buy new hoses for $270. A couple of tees and then the return hose. I’m not super crazy about inserting the tee in the 1500 line in that small access space anyway.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
There is no good reason for the 1500. I have the hh5741 1.7 tilt helm that says 1000psi on it! She has a single ram, not pro, with a tie bar. I can only assume that when the 2005 motors were put on the 2003 ( it was in 2005 I’m told) hull they swapped out the hoses for some reason???? I might just buy new hoses for $270. A couple of tees and then the return hose. I’m not super crazy about inserting the tee in the 1500 line in that small access space anyway.
If you read thru the thread you see I use a combination of new premade and old 1000psi hose with replacement fittings. You can save a lot of money. In your case i don't think you can use those fittings on your old 1500 hose. Point is, you're not doing the cutting and the fastening of ends while in the tight space. You are pulling the hoses from various directions. But the tees end up in the space right at the pump.

Usually premade hoses are sold in pairs. 2 foot hoses cost almost as much as 12 foot hoses.
Look at the way the hoses pass to the motorwell. If like mine, the holes in the wall are too small to pull an end fitting thru. You can buy a pair of hoses that reach from the helm to the motors, cut them where the pump will be, slide the cut end thru the strain relief "bulkhead" fittings and pull it fwd to the pump and add replaceable fittings.
You buy one pair and 2 fittings and you get 4 hoses.

Be aware that Seastar and Garmin use ORB fittings now. Your helm might have 1/4NPT

You may see some AP installations where they put tees on the back of the helm. Garmin instructions are pretty clear they want them nearer the pump. Its probably the only clear thing about their instructions.

Just saying, think it all thru...

Reactions: Diad

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Found out mine also has the 1500psi hoses. Though mine wasn't repowered when I bought it, so not sure why they got changed out.

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
maybe there was a supply chain issue on hoses 20 years ago that no one remembers :)

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
ok. I think that I might have this figured out, but it requires new hydrauli lines because I can’t figure out if the Parker fittings will work with the 1500psi hose. I went to Parker and they said that they are a competitor to sea star and have no idea if it will work. Anyway, if I buy two Ho5102 kits( let’s say a 20’ and a 10’kit), 8 Parker fittings, 2 5530 tee’s, and a 90 for the helm compensation line- I should be good to go. Does my drawing make sense?

My question is can I use the same steering hose for the compensation line?

Basically, I use 8 of the crimped fittings and add 8 of the Parker field fittings to cut lines. 8’ of line from helm to tee, then 16’ from tee to ram. In the 8’ section will be the shadow drive and then a foot or two from the tee to the pump.

what do you think Skunk?

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpeg
    IMG_0013.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Does anyone have any thoughts on my drawing in post #38? Or should I create my own thread for more visibility? I want to get everything ordered so that I can get started on the AP install. Thanks so much!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Does anyone have any thoughts on my drawing in post #38? Or should I create my own thread for more visibility? I want to get everything ordered so that I can get started on the AP install. Thanks so much!
Are you putting the pump in the same place as me? I think your distances are different.
The Shadow at 4 ft will put it in a place hard to reach. Mine is 2 ft from helm right where you can get at it with the gauge panel off. I think they want it close to the helm too.
Not sure the split ...8 ft from helm /16ft from cylinder... gets you to where I put mine. 8 seems short, 16 seems long from what I remember.
You have the old helm with 1/4NPT elbows? thats going to be a pain to get them lined up when tight.

You list 3/8 to 5 ORB TEE where is that going? I used 3/8 tube Tee. Parker fittings connect to 3/8 tube thread (9/16-24)

You have a V2 pump? Look at my post https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/autopilot-garmin-reactor-40-with-smartpump-info.35507/
The V2 that I got has ORB fittings with straight 1/4NPT adapters You can replace them with ORB elbows or go straight in. They also have ports on top and on side...you can move the plugs and fittings to use top or side.