Boat Cover for my 208

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
My bimini mounts a bit differently - mostly on the winshield frame ,except for the two aft poles. Ill try to post a pic
I was going to suggest that another option for you would be to use a 2x (or two) brace under the bimini for support... but since yours mounts to the windshield, you absolutely don't want to be putting any undue pressure on the bimini since it will transfer right to the windshield.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I was going to suggest that another option for you would be to use a 2x (or two) brace under the bimini for support... but since yours mounts to the windshield, you absolutely don't want to be putting any undue pressure on the bimini since it will transfer right to the windshield.

Agree - 100%

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I just ordered a Taylor Made cover for a 19-24 ft walk around for my 208. I'll let you know how it fits as soon as I get it. $320 from West Marine.

Ordered the same cover from Wholesale Marine , this is what I got this AM. :oops:

Dear Customers,

We apologize for any inconvenience and we were not able to reach you by phone.
Due to COVID -19 pandemic Taylor Made has been ordered to shut down production. As long as everything goes as planned they will start production back on April 18th, 2020. This means your Taylor Made boat cover will not be shipping out until at least May 1st, 2020.

Again, we do apologize for this inconvenience.

Best regards,

Jennifer

Wholesale Marine

877-388-2628

sales@wholesalemarine.com

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Here is the link, 5 year warranty for around 200 bucks.
cover.jpgcover.jpg

After all said and done, I went with this cover from empire.
They were able to get it to my door in 5 days. Gotta say it looks pretty well made, thanks for the rec' imjus4u2nv.
Went on easy. I probably could have come aft and port a little, but its doing its job for now.
Came with the straps and a bag of the same material to store it.

Attachments

• CoverII.jpg
    CoverII.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: imjus4u2nv

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
After all said and done, I went with this cover from empire.
They were able to get it to my door in 5 days. Gotta say it looks pretty well made, thanks for the rec' imjus4u2nv.
Went on easy. I probably could have come aft and port a little, but its doing its job for now.
Came with the straps and a bag of the same material to store it.
Glad your happy with recomendation - I pull mine to the back more and it covers the swim platform also (good for the winter), and built a small PVC frame for the back (and the front for winter storage- if decode to make I will send you pictures. I just lift the PVc house out of the back each time and leave on lawn while i fish).

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Glad your happy with recomendation - I pull mine to the back more and it covers the swim platform also (good for the winter), and built a small PVC frame for the back (and the front for winter storage- if decode to make I will send you pictures. I just lift the PVc house out of the back each time and leave on lawn while i fish).

Yeah I noticed when I was done I had some excess drooping off the bow that I didn't need. Are you using anything on the windshield corners to protect the cover from ripping? Thats where my bimini post bracket is , along with the anchor light socket, which also seems to be "protruding"
I should be able to cover the swim platform also, speaking of which, how is yours holding up?
My core is rotting out at one of the holes that holds the bracket. I just ordered a 1 inch thick piece of Anti skip starboard to replace it.

Last edited:

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yeah I noticed when I was done I had some excess drooping off the bow that I didn't need.
I should be able to cover the swim platform also, speaking of which, how is yours holding up?
My core is rotting out at one of the holes that holds the bracket. I just ordered a 1 inch thick piece of Anti skip starboard to replace it.
My swim pmatdor
Yeah I noticed when I was done I had some excess drooping off the bow that I didn't need. Are you using anything on the windshield corners to protect the cover from ripping? Thats where my bimini post bracket is , along with the anchor light socket, which also seems to be "protruding"
I only use the pool noodles (or pipe insulation) during the winter, but I do keep a small piece to put on the light socket although I have forgot and never had issue (was going to use that extra fabric it came with in that spot and never got around to it).
I cover my swim platform and no issues aside from a fee rust stains. I actually plan to take it out and glass the holes the right way and reattach. While I have off I will work on the stained gelcoat. Will need to address the rot or it will keep spreading and get worse.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hookup, yep they called and gave me the same update. I just covered it temporarily with a 15x25 tarp.
We will all get through this soon and be out there enjoying our boats. Stay safe!

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hookup, yep they called and gave me the same update. I just covered it temporarily with a 15x25 tarp.
We will all get through this soon and be out there enjoying our boats. Stay safe!
I also attach my straps around the trailer (front two straps on port goes to front two on starboard; third from front on port goes around trailer to fourth on port; 5th to the 6th on port; same for starboard.
Makes it easier then throwing the strings under the boat, and if rig right can prevent some of the straps from touching the boat which keeps gelcoat nice.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
So we had a little bit of rain here on the Island last night. Water is pooling in the cover in the cockpit, as expected
I think I'm going to make what I used to have when I covered the boat with a tarp for the winter.
A couple pieces of PVC pipes with 45' elbows in the aft port and starboard rod holders, and then a piece from each side connected at the middle with a 90' elbow or a "T" around center of the cockpit connecting the two sides.
Make it at the appropriate height where the pitch stays continuous frm the top of the windshield to the top of the motor

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Th
So we had a little bit of rain here on the Island last night. Water is pooling in the cover in the cockpit, as expected
I think I'm going to make what I used to have when I covered the boat with a tarp for the winter.
A couple pieces of PVC pipes with 45' elbows in the aft port and starboard rod holders, and then a piece from each side connected at the middle with a 90' elbow or a "T" around center of the cockpit connecting the two sides.
Make it at the appropriate height where the pitch stays continuous frm the top of the windshield to the top of the motor
This is what I made, although I like your idea and look forward to seeing results.
It works great for rain, havent had much time to test with snow as mild winter this year.
I have an extension (can see t by peak) which created a long beam over the windshield and anothersnall support forthe front - I only use this part during the winter though. the other ts r
are for elbows that go over the back corner to get a good drain.
This frame lifts in and out in one piece, and sits next to boat so wjewjen ready dont even have to get out of boat to grab it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200407-160946_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200407-160946_Gallery.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20200407-160939_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200407-160939_Gallery.jpg
    765.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Well that frame looks pretty sturdy and I'm sure you have it down to a science. Its a little more than I wanted to do and I really only need it for a few weeks in the spring and fall.
I had to modify my original idea a tad as the 45' elbows on the tubes in the pole holders just didn't work out so I had to use 90' instead - no problem. I was planning on using 1.25 PVC , but that meant removing the liners from the pole holders each time and I thought that way annoying, so I'm using 1" instead. Not as sturdy and I was hoping but good enough apparently. We had a pretty good soaking overnight and I'm happy to report that everything look great.
I took a pic under the cover, you can see the setup - mostly. I will try to get a daytime pic when the cover is off. Also re-adjusted the cover, and to my surprise I was able to get it over the swim platform and the motor a little more, like you had mentioned. ;)

Attachments

• cover-frameRZ.jpg
    cover-frameRZ.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 15
  • cover-wetRZ.jpg
    cover-wetRZ.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 15

wrxhoon

Reaction score
The only problem with the small diameter PVC will get very hot under there in summer and will bend . I used 2" PVC on a previous boat and it bent from the heat under the cover . It may not get very hot where you are and you may not have the problem. I use 3"x1.5" timber on the front of my 228, from the hardtop to the rail.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The only problem with the small diameter PVC will get very hot under there in summer and will bend . I used 2" PVC on a previous boat and it bent from the heat under the cover . It may not get very hot where you are and you may not have the problem. I use 3"x1.5" timber on the front of my 228, from the hardtop to the rail.

Never thought of that about the heat -Yes its true. PVC does not like heat :)
Luckily for me I wont have the cover on the boat when the temps start to heat up around here.
Its just the early spring and early fall when crap is falling from the trees in the neighborhood around here and landing in the boat. One of my neighbors drive a couple of nice sports cars and he has 4 poles staked out around his driveway and has a fine mesh net canopy over the cars. Seems to do a pretty decent job of keeping the crap off his cars.

seasick

Reaction score
I use PVC frames for both my boats and learned a few things over the years. PVC will sag and it doesn't have to get super hot outside. To minimize you need to install vertical bracing every 3 or 4 feet if possible. Schedule 80 pipe is stronger but more expensive.
An issue more important that the heat is cold. The PVC gets brittle and if your frame wiggles in the wind, the fittings will crack. Using a lot of bracing straps helps a lot. I use a dozen or more on each frame.
Depending on the weight of the cover material, outside ropes or straps will reduce the billowing and movement of the cover. The movement causes both stress on the frame and abrasion of the cover. The pool noodles are helpful as is foam pipe insulation.
One of my boats has a quite heavy gauge cover made with TopGun material. That boat is a 20 footer and the cover was made in two sections because of its weight. It is showing some signs of wear but it 6+ years old. My other also boat has a PVC frame and is covered with a 'heavy' duty tarp that is 50 feet long. It is a Harbor freight product and is one season old. It also has wear and may or may not be usable next year. That said, it was $50 and I had a coupon! The less expensive tarps shred quickly especially during a decent blow.
I make my frames fairly tall s that I can stand under them to work on the boat. The downside of tall frames is that they catch more wind and have to be stronger and more securely braced.

Ben Heiser

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I bought a Carver from Boat Covers Direct. Great service as the motor cover wasn’t completely sewn when received and they fixed within 5 days. So far so good, but no snow in SE Pennsylvania this year.

I put my bimini down though...

Attachments

• 7D0BF489-D368-44C7-8CF8-751F460FB07D.jpeg
    7D0BF489-D368-44C7-8CF8-751F460FB07D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
So here us the latest update: (My neighbors must think Im nuts tinkering with this thing everday..hahaha)

Cover is good, keeping the water and debris that is now blowing around and falling from the trees out of the boat (just in time)
I was doing something I never had to do on my boat in all the years on the water....BAIL water out of the boat. The area forward of the windshield to the bow rail is another area where water was pooling. :rolleyes:
Back to the garage to see what we got. The wife calls me Sanford & Sons for a reason. LOL . Well good old LeMont had a traffic cone in there and I put it forward of the windshield, right about on the hatch. Looks pretty good , gives me a nice peak right where I need it and the cone is rubber on the bottom so it shouldnt slide (hopefully)
Will report back after tomorrows torrential downpour and high winds as per local weather predictions

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
So here us the latest update: (My neighbors must think Im nuts tinkering with this thing everday..hahaha)

Cover is good, keeping the water and debris that is now blowing around and falling from the trees out of the boat (just in time)
I was doing something I never had to do on my boat in all the years on the water....BAIL water out of the boat. The area forward of the windshield to the bow rail is another area where water was pooling. :rolleyes:
Back to the garage to see what we got. The wife calls me Sanford & Sons for a reason. LOL . Well good old LeMont had a traffic cone in there and I put it forward of the windshield, right about on the hatch. Looks pretty good , gives me a nice peak right where I need it and the cone is rubber on the bottom so it shouldnt slide (hopefully)
Will report back after tomorrows torrential downpour and high winds as per local weather predictions
Hopefully you have it all set. Oddly enough I dont get any water pooling on the front (I think need to stays somewhat tight and then water rolls down the sides of windshield and off the cover). My driveway also has a small downhill slant. Can tell after all wond need to tighten straps up a little bit no puddles (ever).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200413-083127_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200413-083127_Gallery.jpg
    669.1 KB · Views: 13

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
hey thanks for the pic - I guess I should go under the trailer with the front straps and get it a little tighter.
Ironically my driveway is sloped down pretty good, but in order to get the proper pitch to the stern I have the bow up quite a bit.
Cover looks a little better now than when I first put it on and posted a picture