Can't find a source. I'm at a roadblock.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The first item, and main problem; Freedom 255 vent window metal hinge piece.

When my boat was delivered 2 months ago, the stbd side vent window, with hinge and window latch, were all missing. I can trace the port side window, and maybe find a glass company to cut and drill (for the latch), a piece of glass. But the window uses an extruded aluminum "hinge", which is actually just a specially shaped piece that is glued to the edge of the window, allowing the window to "pivot", or hinge on the matching receiver side of the window frame.

I've been looking, calling Grady White (who has tried to help), Taylor Co., (the window manufacturer for Grady), Marine Glass Specialties, and scoured the internet for a manufacturer of that type of hinge, that our Grady vent windows use. I think they were on many of their boats prior to 2013, but Grady doesn't have anything; not even a larger vent from a Sailfish or Gulfstream, that I could buy, to remove and cut to length the hinge piece.

Can anyone here help with this?

Second item: the back mesh netting that Freedom's used on the port side companion seat bin, just below the Fusion radio. The one on my boat was ripped and rotted. I removed it, so now there are 13 or so 3/16" holes that the net was secured through. Thought about filling the holes, but don't think anything will work very well, or look good.

Ideas?
Thanks all.

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I can't help, but it would be nice, if anyone removes one of these vent windows to replace the latch or something, if they would take a couple of good pictures of this infamous hinge, especially a profile from the end, so that others can see what everyone is dealing with.
Posts like this one make me consider attaching a mono safety line to mine, to prevent them opening far enough to fall out, in case of a latch breaking.

edit: Saw this response on the Sea Ray forum, regarding a window gasket:
"Good day Pairadocs. Ocean Dynamics specializes in manufacturing, repairing and or refurbishing marine windows, windshields, curved/ bent glass, doors and acrylic work; as well as selling marine vinyl gaskets and accessories. We also provide digitizing, removal & installation services.

Please send us a photo of the gasket you are in search of to ocean@oceandynamics.com and we will check if we have something in stock. Please mention this message. We look forward to helping you!"
:)

https://oceandynamics.com/

Last edited:

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Here's a photo of the hinge piece, taken of the other (port) side vent. I removed it to take this pic.

I have left 3 messages at Marine Glass Specialties (Tex and George) over the last month, but no return calls, so I presume they are too swamped with work to tell me they don't have it. But I spoke with someone at the Grady factory again today, who is working on a new lead for this hinge.

VentWindowHinge.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Just wondering if they use the same frame/hinge pieces on the other side but upside-down/inside-out or do they have a left and right version?

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks. I had already scoured the web trying to find something that would work. The problem is there are about 15 holes drilled where the net line goes through, and knotted on the back. Trying to find something that would use these holes is the challenge. If I could plug the holes, and pain to match, I wouldn't worry about not having that stretchy net.

Here's a pic. Notice the series of 3/16 holes. The net laced through each one of those holes.
Side Bin.jpg

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just wondering if they use the same frame/hinge pieces on the other side but upside-down/inside-out or do they have a left and right version?
It would be the same, but turned end for end. Then it would work for both port and stbd windows.
I tried to research who the company was that made these. I did find a lot of extruded window hinges, but nothing that came close to this type.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You could ditch the net and use a piece of starboard . It would cover holes too
Thanks, yes that is plan-B; cutting a piece of black plexiglass or starboard, and having that as a divider down the center.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Here's a photo of the hinge piece, taken of the other (port) side vent. I removed it to take this pic.

I have left 3 messages at Marine Glass Specialties (Tex and George) over the last month, but no return calls, so I presume they are too swamped with work to tell me they don't have it. But I spoke with someone at the Grady factory again today, who is working on a new lead for this hinge.

View attachment 21283
Thinking way outside the box here... But what if you cut your existing hinge into quarters and put 2 piece each on the corners of the glass, and fill the middle section with a matching U-channel extrusion without the extra C shaped piece (assuming you could find matching U channel. At least in that configuration, the glass would be fully supported on the corners and the center non-hinged U-channel piece would provide some support to the glass. The cosmetics might not be great, and there might be some weather sealing issues, but maybe an extra trim piece could be glued to the outside of the U channel sections.

Edit: here's a sketch of what I was describing...
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:

grady23

Reaction score
EZ-Tek filler epoxy works great an is easy to use. I recently have been fixing Gelcoat issues on my 1997 Grady Gulfsteram and its worked VERY WELL. easy to mix, 1-to-1 epoxy to hardener and it gives you about 15 minutes working time per batch of mix. Working in a small tight area will be tough so try out whatever you plan to use a a tool to spread the mix BEFORE you actually mix up the epoxy. Be sure to use alcohol or I prefer acetone to clean the area first. You-Tube has many examples of fiberglass repairs. Suggest you view them as well. It helped me. I got the best deal on EZ-Tek online. I shy away from the West Marine stuff because the mixing instructions can be difficult to mix small amounts.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Eric,
Thanks. That's an interesting idea, and I will definitely keep it in mind, if I cannot source a hinge.

Grady23,
Thank you for the tip on using EZ-Tek. I will have to get some, and try it on a few different projects. Do you know if it is the same or similar to Marine Tex? I've used that on on some project boats in the past, and it's good stuff for certain filler work. Could be painted to match, but I'm pretty sure some sort of a backer would have to be added on the back of the insert. It's very thin and a filler or epoxy would probably not stay in place for long, without building up the thickness on the back part of the panel.

I see Grady still has these stretchy nets on new Freedoms. Don't know if they are the same. They might work.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What happened to the 3D printer craze?
Capt. Bill, thanks for the photo. The U looks assymetrical, and that long crack makes the hinge looks like a separate piece, welded on to the U.

SeaVee

Reaction score
I recently had to contact Marine Glass Specialties for a side vent window with the extrusion piece you are referring to. 2001 265. Apparently George is out with some medical issues and Tex is covering. He got right back to me and took care of what I needed. Since it was the second one I have lost they had the measurements on file and I got it within a week of speaking to Tex. I’d keep trying as they were the only ones I could find with that extrusion piece. Also, close the windows when you’re running

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Never had a problem running with the vent windows open. In fact, that is when I use them the most. But this boat, I just purchased it, was missing the window when the boat was delivered to me; professionally hauled from NY. The former owner said to "check the mounting screws for the window latch as they keep coming out". I guess he wasn't smart enough to tape the window closed, and I'm just guessing, but I think the vent popped open while being trailered down the turnpike, and the wind pulled it right off the boat.

I checked the latch screws on the port side, and they are loose as well. Check your's. May need some lock-tight or slightly larger mounting screws, or both.

Reactions: PointedRose

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When I removed the one to take the pic, I didn't check that, but I'd say 45 degrees or there abouts. Seems to me when the latch mechanism is in place and the window opened all the way, it might open 30 degrees. Since my window it still out, maybe someone else can measure it fully open to the stop.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Here's my (kind of long) follow-up on the window replace project, and a minor problem & question.

After months of looking on-line, leaving messages for MGS, and checking back from time to time with GW cust svc, I got a message that Tex at MGS has the "hinge" piece. I called him right away' gave him the CC. He said it would ship soon. Later that day, got a tracking number. In days, I had it.

Now I can get this done. Since I'm still waiting on quotes from 2 of the 3 glass shops, I decided to buy a pice of acrylic, trace, cut, drill it, and get it installed already. I cut it on my table saw, using a 200 tooth plywood blade. No convenient way to use a rip fence or miter, so I slowly pushed the material into the blade, freehand. Turned out good.

Now we get to the hinge. Tex sent a piece about an inch or so longer than the glass, so I could cut the proper angles. Cut it on the bandsaw, then made a test fit. Everything good, but the problem is, the profile of the piece he sent me, is different than the other side. On factory hinge piece, both sides are flat. On the new piece, inside is flat; side facing out, is curved, so it is wider, and protrudes out further than the frame. This doesn't seem to affect anything except appearance.

So for those of you who have bought a new hinge piece from Marine Glass Specialties, did you get one like the original profile, both sides flat, or was it like mine?

OEM on the port side:
OEM1.jpg

Replacement hinge protrudes out on the starboard side:
Replacement1.jpg

Also want to mention that I JUST got another glass quote back, and this one looks good. I asked each one (and provided a template) to quote tempered glass 3/16" thick with the 3/8" hole drilled as shown on the template. First quote came back that they were going to provide a cut and drilled piece of ACRYLIC. Huh? I asked for tempered, but this is all they would do. Their price was $369.00.

NEXT!

New quote came in today. Their quote for 3/16" cut drilled and tempered glass, $135.00, but then she said they do military discounts. I said I have served and showed my mil ID. She re-calculated and the quote dropped to $99.91. n around time 4 to 6 weeks. Not happy about that, but since I already cut the plexiglass, I decided to install it, and also order the glass. Will switch it out sometime in the Fall.