Cool looking new product from Garmin - Garmin GPSMAP 943xsv

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I know very little about transducers but do you need to adjust your frequency settings on your MFD or get a transducer with a higher frequency or more powerful sonar?

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have been testing my new 943xsv and GT51M-TH in Florida for the last few weeks. The chartplotter has some interesting feature discussed above.

With the SideVu I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Looks like an ink blot to me! Tried changing scale in deep water too.

ClearVu is ok but I had expected to see more detail vs. my GSD24 w/M260 transducer (still installed so I can compare).

How deep are you trying the SideVu? All of the videos I’ve come across have been in shallower water (100’ or less) and I haven’t had much luck in anything deeper with my Echomap 94SV and GT51M-™. I think it has to do with the fact that the SideVu is similar to a traditional sonar with a wider beam so the distance from center shown on the screen is along along an arc and not purely horizontal from the transducer. This can lead to confusion as to what is actually being displayed unless you make multiple passes over a suspected target/fish and use both the SideVu and ClearVu to verify. There was a good video on YouTube that I’ll try to find and link.

Also note that the ClearVu and SideVu are limited to 500W on this transducer and for traditional/ClearVu there are less elements than the M260 so even though it’s CHIRP the new transducer is less sensitive. The M260 also has a narrower beam so it will perform better in deeper water.

Regarding installation the GT51M-TH transducer also needs to be installed with less than 5 degrees of deadrise, with a fairing block if more than 5 degrees, or in a pair for SideVu to function properly. Didn’t see specifics on that in your other post, apologies if I skipped over it.

Would definitely like to hear more feedback as I’m considering the 943XSV. If the SideVu turns out to not be too great I’m considering a 942XS Plus as they can be had on clearance for $250 less and putting the savings into a new transducer (B175M).

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I've been using an Echo 94sv with transom 51 xducer for 3 years. Great addition to my gsd22/B744 on a 4208.
First, the traditional 80/160khz is a great backup to the 50/200khz on the gsd22. My B744 went intermittently dead middle of last season and the Echo saved my ass...
Second, the Sidevu really shines when locating/anchoring on wrecks and rockpiles. When moving slowly it gives a "picture" of the bottom to port and starboard.
I literally SEE shipwrecks in 150'. I see the dugout side and the sanded-in side. Doing slow circles and figure 8s around the wreck help you find rubble and chain pile to the sides also. You can see how its laying North/South etc. You can see it off to port when your regular FF shows nothing. You can figure where to anchor. Once you stop, it doesn't look like a picture anymore but it will tell you if you drifted off left or right. The deeper you are the smaller and less impressive the picture looks. I fish NJ wrecks and manmade reefs which are mostly in 60' to 150' and I wouldn't be without sidevu now.
In open water I have never seen anything useful with sidevu but I usually have it set to sidevu only when bottomfishing. I need to start looking for mahi next to pot markers and see what bait schools look like off to the side.
Third, Clearvu is useless to me. Yes it has more detail but its all the same color. The traditional gives you a red and yellow blob of bait and the clearvu gives you a bunch of dots.

I am replacing the Echo with a 1242Plus xsv (needed another true MFD for new radar) and I'm replacing the transom mount with a thruhull GT51 on the centerline
Ditched the gsd22 for a brand new gsd24 connected to a brand new old R199 2kw shootthru

Reactions: Holokai

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Do you find you use the 455 or 260hz when using side vu?? Try to decide if I go for the gt56 or gt51 paired with a airmar chirp set up.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So far I have been unimpressed with the new Garmin sounder technology. I'm going to take another shot today at testing SideVu, ClearVu and traditional chirp with GT51M-TH transducer. Alongside my GSD24 with M260 transducer I have several wrecks in 150' of water that I have "seen" on the GSD24. So long as they haven't moved or been destroyed by recent hurricanes.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Seems like most of the side imaging hype works best in shallow water and is marketed toward lake fishing. Especially when it come to the UHD stuff. Furuno has some incredible deep water capability, but i recall there being a patent or something that is holding the rest of the manufacturers back. It must also be more than simply adding power, otherwise why wouldn't garmin make a 1kw side vu transducer?

I am glad did the research and learned this before i bought anything. Plan is to refocus on a high end airmar chirp transducer. Any side vu tranducers i try will be with low expectations. Had a good chat with a buddy that has a hummingbird side imaging set up, he was quick to point out that he only uses it when he is in the lake. Once he hits the salt its all traditional.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Agree that newer UHD versions are becoming more for lakes but the 51 is very useful in salt for bottom fishing.

here's an image from the web,not from me. I absolutely get images like this. "Oh there's the wreck, turn to port"
As you go around it you get a picture of it. I get this in 150' no problem with the 51. If you had a traditional you would maybe see a few low scratches and you would have no idea which direction the wreck was. You see how its laying, say NW to SE.. You already know how big it is.

1614692356134.png

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Agree that newer UHD versions are becoming more for lakes but the 51 is very useful in salt for bottom fishing.

here's an image from the web,not from me. I absolutely get images like this. "Oh there's the wreck, turn to port"
As you go around it you get a picture of it. I get this in 150' no problem with the 51. If you had a traditional you would maybe see a few low scratches and you would have no idea which direction the wreck was. You see how its laying, say NW to SE.. You already know how big it is.

View attachment 19136

I’m jealous. Don’t know if anyone here who’s had that type of luck with side imaging in saltwater. I’ll have to start shallow, play with the settings, speed, etc. and work to deeper water. It would be awesome to use side imaging to find bait balls. I think the generally smaller boats (most are 20’ or less) and rough water don’t help matters...

Seems like most of the side imaging hype works best in shallow water and is marketed toward lake fishing. Especially when it come to the UHD stuff. Furuno has some incredible deep water capability, but i recall there being a patent or something that is holding the rest of the manufacturers back. It must also be more than simply adding power, otherwise why wouldn't garmin make a 1kw side vu transducer?

I am glad did the research and learned this before i bought anything. Plan is to refocus on a high end airmar chirp transducer. Any side vu tranducers i try will be with low expectations. Had a good chat with a buddy that has a hummingbird side imaging set up, he was quick to point out that he only uses it when he is in the lake. Once he hits the salt its all traditional.

I'm leaning this way too as the use for side imaging is limited. That said I’m now really considering if the 943 xsv is that much better as a traditional sonar vs the 942 xsv plus.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It really depends on whether you want the Sidevu sonar and if you want a product that's been discontinued or not. If neither of those are a deal breaker for you, you can get the 942xs Plus on sale for about $1050, about $350 less than the 943xsv. Just depends on whether you want the Sidevu or not and how much you want to spend. Personally, for the extra couple hundred dollars I think it would be worth spending the extra money on. Especially if you want the Sidevu or if you think you might possibly need it. If you don't think you'll need it and/or know you won't... put that money towards something else.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I've been using an Echo 94sv with transom 51 xducer for 3 years. Great addition to my gsd22/B744 on a 4208.
First, the traditional 80/160khz is a great backup to the 50/200khz on the gsd22. My B744 went intermittently dead middle of last season and the Echo saved my ass...
Second, the Sidevu really shines when locating/anchoring on wrecks and rockpiles. When moving slowly it gives a "picture" of the bottom to port and starboard.
I literally SEE shipwrecks in 150'. I see the dugout side and the sanded-in side. Doing slow circles and figure 8s around the wreck help you find rubble and chain pile to the sides also. You can see how its laying North/South etc. You can see it off to port when your regular FF shows nothing. You can figure where to anchor. Once you stop, it doesn't look like a picture anymore but it will tell you if you drifted off left or right. The deeper you are the smaller and less impressive the picture looks. I fish NJ wrecks and manmade reefs which are mostly in 60' to 150' and I wouldn't be without sidevu now.
In open water I have never seen anything useful with sidevu but I usually have it set to sidevu only when bottomfishing. I need to start looking for mahi next to pot markers and see what bait schools look like off to the side.
Third, Clearvu is useless to me. Yes it has more detail but its all the same color. The traditional gives you a red and yellow blob of bait and the clearvu gives you a bunch of dots.

I am replacing the Echo with a 1242Plus xsv (needed another true MFD for new radar) and I'm replacing the transom mount with a thruhull GT51 on the centerline
Ditched the gsd22 for a brand new gsd24 connected to a brand new old R199 2kw shootthru
Skunkboat - How did your 1242 and transducer upgrade go? Have you been able to test everything in the water yet this year? As I have said before I did not have any luck with SideVu and DownVu in Florida this winter. Also contacting Hodges, Garmin and a installer I know to see if I might possibly have a bad GT51M-TH transducer or 943xsv unit.

I'm trying to play back a track that I recorded but I attached one screen image. This was in SanPedro sanctuary in the keys - a 100x100 protected area with a dedication plaque (pictured?), cannons and coral formations. I'm going to splash the boat later this month and try the NJ artificial reefs.

3358374208_02MAR21_1503_00.png San Pedro Site.jpg

Last edited:

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Any better in the 455hz at that depth??

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Any better in the 455hz at that depth??
he's got a GT51M so he can't run 455khz. The depth is 13 ft ...I don't even bother with sidevu that shallow. its just a mound of ballast rocks. You won't see much more than a hump.
My GT51M thru hull is working great.

I suppose the new UHD are great for looking under docks in shallow.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
he's got a GT51M so he can't run 455khz. The depth is 13 ft ...I don't even bother with sidevu that shallow. its just a mound of ballast rocks. You won't see much more than a hump.
My GT51M thru hull is working great.

I suppose the new UHD are great for looking under docks in shallow.

So the transom mount gt-51 can run 455 but the other can't?? I'm run 455 occasionally on mine, it's notuch use past 30 feet.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I tried it in deeper water on the reef edges and over some structure. 50' out to 200'. Just ink blots! If mine is as good as it gets for my Florida fishing its useless.

Maybe with larger structure on NJ reefs it will work better. I'm hoping that something is broken (although its all new equipment)!

If any of you can capture screen shots and post them I would definitely like to see them.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'll try and take some shots today while im out. In your photo at 13 feet of water, you should try the 455hz frequency. Much past 20 just stay on 260hz. Garmins website shows all the gt51s as 455 capable. Lots of settings to play with, I dropped my scroll speed a bit and the imaging cleaned up.

I find the 455 on downvu is very good up to around 100 feet, then 260hz takes over to around 200 feet. I'm pleased with the downvu and standard chirp imagery.

My biggest complaints:
when I do lose bottom it won't pick it up until I get back into around 300 feet. Will read down to 800 fine until I'm moving fast,Then doesn't recover even off plane until I get back in 300 feet. It will probably read past 800, but i haven't been anywhere deeper yet.

The side imaging good, but probably doesn't have the detail some people want. The gt-51 is known as the the second best Deepwater side imaging, but that means they give up some detail. Furuno has some fancy system that does it better.

How deep do you fish?? There might be a better transducer out there for you, especially if 13 feet is a common depth.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I don't fish that shallow. That was more of a test of a place with documented structure. May not have been best choice. In FL 100' to 200' along the reef edge is where I really want to use it. Would like a better view of known structure and fish in the water column. Would also like a view of bridge pilings.

There are UHD side scan versions but they are better suited for shallow freshwater. The GT51M is the recommended transducer for my fishing.

I thought I turned all the dials but did not see a frequency. I'll have to look closer.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm on the boat now, when I get a chance I send a pic of the frequency option

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That's how I change it on my 1243. Haven't seen any structure worth sharing today.

Attachments

• PXL_20210605_220025154.jpg
    PXL_20210605_220025154.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks for sharing. I'm going to work this hard with Garmin. Maybe I can get to the bottom of this (pun intended)!

I was able to playback a sonar track I recorded but it was traditional and not very useful. But I was able to prove the record/playback of HomePort worked.

I did find that SideVu/DownVu can be set for 455/260khz. All my testing in shallow water was set to 260 which may not be the right choice. I have a few dials to turn when I get back in the water.

Last edited: