Dome light upgrade

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hookup, how did you remove the dome light from the ceiling? I can't figure out how to remove the fixture. My spreaders have stopped working and I think it may be the switch. Previously, they worked intermittently. I'm going to check the wiring, but am curious as to how to remove the light fixture. A few pics of the light fixture attached.

Attachments

• IMG_8047.jpg
    IMG_8047.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8045.jpg
    IMG_8045.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8046.jpg
    IMG_8046.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The two screws inside the fixture are they bolted inside the electronics. Mine are Philips head inside the box and nuts inside the dome light.

Your's look different. I don’t see the nuts in the dome light. Maybe screws inside the overhead box? Check there where the wires come thru. I’ll bet they glued a block inside the fixture. I see what looks like glue around the two holes and wires.

If you need part number and source for switches let me know. DigiKey has them.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
512PB-ND 10-amp SPST for spreader lights
40-4325-00 Judco Manufacturing Inc. | Switches | DigiKey

Order today, ships today. 40-4325-00 – Pushbutton Switch SPST Standard Panel Mount, Rear from Judco Manufacturing Inc.. Pricing and Availability on millions of electronic components from Digi-Key Electronics.
www.digikey.com www.digikey.com

522PB-ND 2-amp SPDT for alternating red or clear courtesy light
40-3657-00 Judco Manufacturing Inc. | Switches | DigiKey

Order today, ships today. 40-3657-00 – Pushbutton Switch SPDT Standard Panel Mount, Rear from Judco Manufacturing Inc.. Pricing and Availability on millions of electronic components from Digi-Key Electronics.
www.digikey.com www.digikey.com

I checked availability. Plenty in stock.

Last edited:

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes, it does seem like the light is glued tothe ceiling. I removed two smll mounting screws, but the light is still firmly attached to the ceiling. That's why I asking about how you removed yours. Mineis on a 2008 Sailfish. I'm going to check the wiring for the spreaders, as I think that is the issue. But, if need be, I'll pull the light fixture as well. Thanks for your reply and the Digikey info.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yes, it does seem like the light is glued tothe ceiling. I removed two smll mounting screws, but the light is still firmly attached to the ceiling. That's why I asking about how you removed yours. Mineis on a 2008 Sailfish. I'm going to check the wiring for the spreaders, as I think that is the issue. But, if need be, I'll pull the light fixture as well. Thanks for your reply and the Digikey info.
What "two small mounting screws"? Inside the electronics box or inside the dome light? You can try a thin paint scraper and work the black gasket edge. Shouldn't be much holding it up.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hookup, how did you remove the dome light from the ceiling? I can't figure out how to remove the fixture. My spreaders have stopped working and I think it may be the switch. Previously, they worked intermittently. I'm going to check the wiring, but am curious as to how to remove the light fixture. A few pics of the light fixture attached.
It's been a few years since I removed that light on my previous Grady, but I seem to remember working a small thin screwdriver under the edge of that round plastic piece that holds the bulbs. It just pops out. Once that was worked out of there, you will see two screws holding the main fixture. That's how I remember mine.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It's been a few years since I removed that light on my previous Grady, but I seem to remember working a small thin screwdriver under the edge of that round plastic piece that holds the bulbs. It just pops out. Once that was worked out of there, you will see two screws holding the main fixture. That's how I remember mine.
He got the plastic dome off. He is trying to drop the dome light assembly. Mine was the same as yours but his is probably screwed in from inside the electronics box.

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for your replies. If I need to remove the dome, I'll try the paint scraper under the fixture. Will get back to you after I check the wire connections and fuse box.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks for your replies. If I need to remove the dome, I'll try the paint scraper under the fixture. Will get back to you after I check the wire connections and fuse box.
Check inside the overhead box for screws into the fixture. That's my bet what is holding it on. Don't break the fixture! They are impossible to find.

Last edited:

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you are wondering how to get to the screws, the dome light cover pries off. Its tricky but a small flat head can do the job.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you are wondering how to get to the screws, the dome light cover pries off. Its tricky but a small flat head can do the job.
He has the cover off. Look at the photos above. It looks like a block was epoxyed into the base and secured from inside the electronics box.

Reactions: Legend

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I just ordered these switches and the rubber boots. Also ordered some new spreader lights off of Amazon. This is my next projecT. This site is so helpfu!! now that I think about it, should pick up some of these light bulbs too

Finatic272

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had the same problem. I purchased a new dome light and drilled a hole into the side of

Finatic272

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sorry I had my last reply cut off. Fat fingers.
as I was saying I had the same problem. I purchased a new dome light. Then drilled a hole in the metal trim of the light. Then installed the spreader light switch in the new light.

Nole

Reaction score
Model
Chase
My problem is also mostly the UV damage. The light works it just looks terrible. The other option I have is to run the spreader switches off of an acc switch and then replacing the dome light with one that is readily available...

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I found the fixture on eBay. You have to rework the base. It work for me. Now I have a few spares.