Filling holes..........

FraJul

Reaction score
So I have a 2004 265 Express and am planning to remove an old transom mount transducer. What would be the best way to fill the screw holes that are under the water line. I also plan to take an old spotlight and megaphone off the roof. Thanks in advance for your respsonse. Frank

andyb

Reaction score
I typically clean out the holes with an appropriately sized drill bit just slightly larger to ensure a good clean surface, then use a stepped bit to create a little bit of cone shape in the head of the hole, then fill with west systems six10 thickened epoxy. If the screw holes are really small, I shoot the west systems thickened epoxy into a syringe to be able to get all the way in to the back of the hole. Fill from the back of the hole out to the front making sure no air is trapped in the hole. Level off the excess that comes out.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Epoxy into the wood, finish off surface with marine tex, sand down smooth.

Reactions: Meanwhile

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Filling with epoxy, as mentioned above (whether you buy pre-mixed or make your own) is definitely the "best" way. The syringe trick is important. If your boat is bottom painted, just paint over the epoxy after you get the area "somewhat" smooth.

After injecting the epoxy, put a piece of tape over the hole to make sure it stays there. I've also used un-thickened epoxy by creating a "dam" over the hole - just another way to do the same thing.

FraJul

Reaction score
I tried 5200 and it sort of slumped out of the screw holes overnight. Gonna sand and drill them out a bit and try the six 10 epoxy

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I am guessing the epoxy will work well for a couple holes left in my cockpit when we removed the bimini supports.

Almost ordered that dang Thixo... it threw the generic version in the cart.. heh

Last edited:

andyb

Reaction score
I tried 5200 and it sort of slumped out of the screw holes overnight. Gonna sand and drill them out a bit and try the six 10 epoxy

Taping over the bottom half of the hole like DennisG mentioned definitely helps if the epoxy tries to slump out. Doesn't take much to work, painters tape or duct tape works just fine.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I recently did this on my boat. Follow Andyb's advice on cleaning out the old holes. I used MarineTex on my holes since it was is white, but have also used epoxy in the past.

seasick

Reaction score
As mentioned, make sure the hole is clean. Drill out a bit if necessary It is not a good idea to insert a piece of wooden dowel soaked in epoxy as some other sites have suggested.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'd sand the gel coat down in that area, fill with six 10, then put layup over the entire section. Smooth then gel coat.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm going to assume that there are three closely spaced holes and probably some older holes from previous transducers
Unfortunately,as others have said, yes you have to make the holes bigger and clean to fill them correctly....just epoxy from a 2 part syringe, or thickened epoxy(you have to buy way more filller than you will need), or polyester resin.

I'm going to assume it has bottom paint, in which case it doesn't have to be pretty so I would finish with a layer of glass over the area. (You will have to sand clean the whole area)
If you plan on adding a new transducer, consider wrapping a piece of plywood in glass and glassing it to the area. Now your new screws don't go into the transom...

FraJul

Reaction score
So in the end I used the six 10 epoxy and finished it with spectrum patch paste. Very happy with results.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
For reference here is a picture of marine tex filling old holes. I didn't try to make it pretty - below the water line. I may come back at some time and sand it down and cover it with gel coat - when I fill the other nicks and scratches on the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_8599.JPG
    IMG_8599.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 24

Fishtales

Reaction score
For reference here is a picture of marine tex filling old holes. I didn't try to make it pretty - below the water line. I may come back at some time and sand it down and cover it with gel coat - when I fill the other nicks and scratches on the boat.

You could fine sand that down and gelcoat over with a touch up kit if desired.