Gianni

Reaction score
What do you guys use as fuel stabilizers? Thanks

OZ WHITE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I had the same question...and is there any difference between automotive Sta-bil and marine sta-bile....

Reactions: Gianni

OZ WHITE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Does anyone use Star-Tron or just Ring Free as an additive

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Does anyone use Star-Tron or just Ring Free as an additive

Both. At the fuel dock, I look like a damn mad scientist mixing chemicals in his lab! The hysterical laugh is for price of fuel though!

Startron for fuel stabilizing and Ring Free for carbon.

seasick

Reaction score
Ring Free or equivalent when fueling. Stabil regular for winter storage. I do not add stabilizer during boating season. I think that is a waste of money

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Gianni, this subject is sometimes like asking "what's the best oil to use in my car". It's a very subjective topic. However, to add my opinion, I use Startron at every fill up (diesel formula) and also RingFree as they are different products for different purposes. I use Startron in ALL my gas engines, big and small, when the fuel won't be readily used up since the gas doesn't stay "good" as long as it used to. Meaning, I don't use it my car since the gas gets used up so quickly. Although, it certainly wouldn't hurt to use it, either. For what it's worth, I have NEVER had a fuel issue related to gas going bad in ANY engine (numerous boats/engines, snow blower, weedwhacker, chainsaw, etc). Probably going on something like 10 or 12 years of using Startron. I used the Red Stabil before ethanol came on the scene, also with good results. But the red stuff doesn't address ethanol issues - you'd need the marine formula (360?) for that.

Last edited:

Gianni

Reaction score
Gianni, this subject is sometimes like asking "what's the best oil to use in my car". It's a very subjective topic. However, to add my opinion, I use Startron at every fill up (diesel formula) and also RingFree as they are different products for different purposes. I use Startron in ALL my gas engines, big and small, when the fuel won't be readily used up since the gas doesn't stay "good" as long as it used to. Meaning, I don't use it my car since the gas gets used up so quickly. Although, it certainly wouldn't hurt to use it, either.
Yes i understand its like asking what kind of oil, I was just looking what guys used and were happy with.

Gianni

Reaction score
Ended up using Startron anyhow. Just put it in my tanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There's multiple "good" products out there to use. Just because a number of us are responding about using Startron, certainly doesn't mean it's the only product that will work, though. The most important thing is to simply use one.

OZ WHITE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Gianni, this subject is sometimes like asking "what's the best oil to use in my car". It's a very subjective topic. However, to add my opinion, I use Startron at every fill up (diesel formula) and also RingFree as they are different products for different purposes. I use Startron in ALL my gas engines, big and small, when the fuel won't be readily used up since the gas doesn't stay "good" as long as it used to. Meaning, I don't use it my car since the gas gets used up so quickly. Although, it certainly wouldn't hurt to use it, either.
Why diesel formula?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I use Biobor for my diesel genny. It stabilizes and has additives to prevent sludge and microbes from growing.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Ring Free or equivalent when fueling. Stabil regular for winter storage. I do not add stabilizer during boating season. I think that is a waste of money
^^^ This...

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
My 2 cents...

I have used Startron (Gasoline version) in every fill up for as long as I can remember ever caring about such things...2004 when I replaced an old Merc 150 with a new Suzuki DF140 for my V20.
I never pay full price, I stock up when it is BOGO or 30% off at West Marine.
I dunno if it is really necessary but I'm willing to go along with the consensus of expert opinions from BoatUS and several magazines regarding ethanol in gas.

When I bought the Grady there was a quart of Ring Free onboard and I used it. Then I went to buy some and realized that it can't be worth $55/qt
I ran the 4 stroke zuki for 12 years without it. It can't be that important.
My research leads me to conclude that "Top Tier " gasoline from the likes of Exxon, BP, Chevron, Sunoco, etc has additives to prevent carbon buildup.
On the water, Valvetect gasoline has additive already in it.

I have been running my OX66 225s without ring free for a year. I add the Startron before pumping. I always fill up at a Valvetect gas dock (which also happens to be the cheapest around and also gives a BoatUS discount).

Do my 2 strokes with Yamaha stickers on the cowl really need Ring Free? NO
Especially since they are 2 strokes and I have to buy oil. And no, I don't buy Yamalube at $50 /gallon either.
At 1 mpg I can't justify adding $1/gallon to my fuel cost. I use Pennzoil ($20) or West Marine brand when its BOGO.
No Yamaha Kool-Aid, Thank You!

Edit:

I have since replaced the old OX66s with Suzuki DF200APs. In three seasons they have 560 hrs on them. I use a Valvetect gasoline dock. Valvetect already has the additive in it. I don't use any additive during the season. Full tanks is 250 gallons. I burn nearly 2000 gals of gas a season. I run a "Ring cleaner" (not $55 Yamaha koolaid) at the end of the season and stabilize for winter.

Last edited:
Reactions: glacierbaze

suzukidave

Reaction score
the main active ingredient in ring free is naptha, which is what is found in techron and most other fuel additives and additive packages from higher end oilcos. the cheapest bulk otc source of naptha is seafoam.

if you really want to save money, buy bulk naptha, isopropyl alcohol and pale oil and mix them according to one of the online formulas. that is basically seafoam.

a better solution than any of these things is run your engine at high rpms regularly to burn off carbon deposits before they cook on. if you've ever looked at the build up on the top of a carboned up cylinder you'll appreciate the futility of any and all additives once things go too far.

suzukidave

Reaction score
oh and then there is water injection. that will clean everything right up in a heartbeat. just don't get the amount wrong.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
RingFree is more important to 2-strokes than 4-strokes. Gianni - you didn't mention what type of engine you have.

I'd like to find a less expensive alternative to RingFree, but I'm also a tried and true believer in it after seeing how clean my O2 sensor is at the end of the season. Even a local Yamaha dealer said (when I brought in the little barbell tube to match it up) I must be using RingFree when he saw how clean it was.

On the other hand, although it's expensive per quart, it's concentrated so a little goes a long way. I'm not going to debate the active ingredients in it as I think that needs a chemistry expert (which I am not!) to really tell the difference between it and something else. But just for giggles, I looked up the pricing of Seafoam and also RingFree (Domo online) and compared what it costs per gallon to use each. I found Seafoam at $7.50 per 16 oz and the instructions say it's good for 16 gallons (1 oz per gallon). Ringfree is $44 for 32 oz and treats 320 gallons (1 oz per 10 gallons).

Seafoam works out to be 47 cents per gallon and Ringfree is 14 cents per gallon... I'm happy using Ringfree :)

Last edited: