Garmin- researching my upgrade options

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm going to use this very long post as a sounding board and reference for myself. Input and experience is welcome.
I have already learned alot from writing this all down and editing and fact checking myself.
The way Garmin constantly releases new models, hopefully this info will be not be dated before I pull the trigger...

I have been spending hours on the web and in West Marine staring at my options for upgrading my electronics.
I need new radar to overlay chartplotter. I need a sonar that really works..at speed and in 2000'.
Having played with them at WestMarine, I would like a touchscreen mfd preferably 12" but at minimum 9"

The only solid decision I've made so far is that I'm sticking with Garmin..... so PLEASE don't try to convince me otherwise ; )
Obviously, top of the line everything is best but I'm looking for optimal bang for less bucks.

Current gear;
GPSMAP 4208- Its old and small but it has 3 network connectors. Its has NMEA 2k and 0183. No internal sonar. No internal GPS.
GPS19x - NMEA 2k gps receiver
GSD22 black box sonar- Its old. Not CHIRP. It was Garmin's first digital 2kw sonar BUT it was improved greatly by the GSD24.
B744vl thru hull transducer- mounted centerline between water pickups- 600w 50/200kHz, Temp and speed don't work, lately getting "Transducer connection lost" MUST REPLACE
EchoMap94xsv- 2017 model, 9" screen, buttons(not touch), 600w dual Traditional/CHIRP. Traditional and side-vu works well at trolling speed, lose bottom at 1200', side-vu is GREAT for wreck fishing. In hind site I wish I had paid up for an MFD with xsv to make subsequent upgrading cheaper.
GT51M-TM transducer- mounted between motors on a SternSaver- came with Echo (getting an included TM saves you hundreds of dollars).
Reactor40 AutoPilot- AWESOME!!!
GHC20 - stand alone AP display/control for autopilot
Raytheon Pathfinder LCD Radar- stand alone monochrome LCD unit. Old,not very good...but its way better than nothing in the fog.MUST REPLACE
InReachSE+ - Satelite Text, $15/month ( can suspend for off season)for limited use, well worth it for offshore/overnight trips
GX2200 VHF- has AIS receiver, displays symbols on 4208 thru NMEA0183, Hailer, auto Fog horn, great radio...

I wish it was as simple as "choose a sonar, choose a xducer, choose a MFD, choose a radar" but there are so many (Garmin)combos and models that it is dizzying... most of the prices (without tax) are from Hodgesmarine which seems to match(usually) the lowest price out there
MFD choices;
First, rule out EchoMap because they are not network MFDs, they can't run radar or black box sonar and their built-in sonar is only Ultra HF now
Second, rule out GPSMAP 7400/7600 series because they are phased out and not very available to buy.
Third, rule out 8600 series because $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Nice units.
Forth, no point in buying an MFD without sonar because you only pay $200 for it built in. Any "xsv" model has same CHIRP sonar as a GSD25 black box

I could continue to use the 4208 as a network MFD.(Its FREE!)
drawbacks are...
>limited to GMR 18HD+ radar(oldest garmin radar being sold...)
>need black box sonar, either my current GSD22(Its FREE!) or new GSD 24, Cannot run GSD25 CHIRP/clearvu/sidevu black box nor GSD26
>Small screen and Buttons

So new MFD choices are (I'm only listing models that have G3 Charts and built in sonar) Strike thru the ones I have ruled out( I think!)
GPSMAP 942xsPLUS- 9" touch, single channel CHIRP(can't run a dual Freq xducer), can also run GMR18 xHD and Fantom, 1 network connection Discounted -$1100
GPSMAP943xsv- higher resolution touch, dual channel with side vu, new model only available at LIST PRICE $1400
GPSMAP 1042xs- 10" only comes with knob&buttons, single channel CHIRP, nice unit wish it came with touch, phased out...Discounted
GPSMAP 1242xs- 12" only comes with knob&buttons, single channel CHIRP, nice unit wish it came with touch, phased out...Discounted
GPSMAP1242xsv PLUS Touch- 12" touch, 2 network connections, single channel CHIRP Discounted -$2300
GPSMAP1243xsv- higher res touch, dual channel, new model...available at list price only $2900

Sonar & Xducers:
Use built-in sonar from a new MFD listed above and/or...
GSD22- black box 2kw traditional sonar, currently have it so its FREE!
GSD24- black box 2kw traditional sonar, rated MUCH BETTER than GSD22 by just about everyone on the web. discounted $550
GSD26- in my dreams on a 52 Viking, connected to dual 8616s and a 3kw transducer, in the Keys, with hot chicks and cold drinks....
I need a new 1kw or 2kw xducer for deep water. Will continue to use my Echo94/TM51 for chirp/sidevu
B175L- single channel 50khz 1kw thru hull ($1100 but maybe get "out of box" for $850) connected to my GSD22 and 4208 (FREE!) or to new MFD sonar...
drawback...This xducer needs a huge hole in the hull!
R199- traditional dual channel 50/200kHz 2kw shoot thru hull(huge plastic tub filled with glycol, NO HOLE IN HULL!!!). discontinued but I can get one "new old stock" for $1299 this would use the full power of my existing GSD22(FREE!). If that isn't satisfying I can get a GSD24 ($550) at a later time. (fyi- new CHIRP ready R599 xducer is $4000!!)

Radar choices;
GMR 18 HD+ -oldest 4kw Garmin radar, 20meter/36nm range, 24 rpm, MARPA, NO dual range, will overlay on my existing 4208 discounted $1100
GMR 18 xHD - 4kw Garmin radar, 48nm range, 24/48 rpm, MARPA, Dual range, will NOT work on my existing 4208, rated much better than HD+ discounted $1200......better deal for the extra $100 but if I choose this I also must buy a new MFD
GMR Fantom 18 - latest Pulse Compression/Doppler 40W solid state, 6meter/48nm range, 24/48 rpm, MARPA, Dual range, Motion scope(colored tracks), will NOT work on my existing 4208, reviews have it better for some things /not as good as xHD for others available at list price only $1999

So, cheap way is keep 4208 & GSD22, add compatible R199 2kw shoot thru($1300) and a GMR18HD+ radar($1100)= $2500:)
> if GSD22 doesn't work out I would need to buy GSD24 $550( to utilize 2kw power)
>but I would not have a new touch mfd..but I could eventually get a 12" mfd down the road
>>no big hole! really like idea of 2 kw sonar..
>>radar is 2 revs back, it will be dated as soon as I get it ...but its 1000x better than what I have and its affordable

Another way is get 942xsPLUS ($1100) or 1242xsvPlus($2300) and use the GSD22 with an R199($1300) and a GMR18xHD ($1300) radar=$3700 or $4900
> problem!! the 942 only has one network port and this setup needs 1 for radar and 1 for sonar black box. Garmin GMS10 net expander is $200 ...but I could keep the 4208 and use its 3 ports as a network hub and have a shared screen...hmmmm....

Another way is get 942xsPLUS ($1100) use its 1kw built-in sonar with a B175L ($1100..maybe $850?) and a GMR18xHD ($1300) radar=$3500(maybe $3250)
>>so a new touch screen, 1 kw sonar, good radar, big hole in hull, would look good in a new dash with the Echo94
>>> I could, in theory, sell the 4208 and gsd22...hahahahahah!

Here is a good rundown of the garmin line of chartplotters Choosing the right chartplotter

fyi, 2 sites ....Rembulan Fishing Store and AutoMart Marine...always seem to have really low prices but there is just something sketchy about them. I think foreign sites and they will hit you with shipping or some crap...

Last edited:
Reactions: dbiscayne

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wow, you may actually research and think/ analyze more than me!

Re: the Rembulan site, I noticed the same. Prices are awesome but they charge 200+ for shipping and are from Indonesia. When I was in Spain, I bought a phone from a shop over there due to the price and always felt itperformed differently than my fiends, possibly a rebranded phone . So, I wouldn’t trust purchasing from them, but really hope someone here has raving reviews so I can pull the trigger :)

You are in better shape than me since your locked into Garmin vs me with Simrad. So far, Cabelas has the Echomap UHD 94SV for 699 (plus Elite 12 for 999, Elite 9 for 599) when their Black Friday sale hits. Only 1 Garmin so far...

I keep checking with West Marine for their circular but nothing yet. However, they are getting a ton of inventory on Garmin products, including radar. So, you may be in good shape in another week or two. You do not need for the sale to hit, once the circular is out, they will let you buy prior.

Whenever I see a sale on Garmin, I’ll share with you as I am always looking.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
West Marine claims to price match. You can always try that angle.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Check with semperfi over on THT - I bought my garmin set up on my old boat through him, and he was supremely helpful at cutting through all the noise in the garmin line up. I will absolutely buy through Travis for my next upgrade.

Reactions: ocdansar

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
West Marine claims to price match. You can always try that angle.
Yep did that with autopilot and seastar helm while they had triple points going on....showed them Hodges online price and they matched....they have 3x points this weekend!

found the R199 on Max Marine Electronics after seeing them mentioned in a post here in For Sale

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I pulled the trigger on the R199. Could not miss out on that deal. 2kw xducer for $1230.
I keep changing my mind on the other stuff. Thought I was "definitely" going with the 942 and xHD, then I thoght...just wait.. use the 4208 with the GSD22 and the new transducer, and wait til spring for new MFD & for radar xHD. maybe price will drop on 1242xsv Plus once the new 1243 starts shipping. Really rather a 12 screen over a 9 considering its gonna be there for as long as I run the boat.
At this point I don't think prices will go up on xHD Just have to hope they don't run out of 1242s and stick me buying a new 1243 at list...

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Where did you buy it from? You got me looking at Garmins now...Tempted by the 7608xsv :)

Have you checked out the 7610xsv? Might be your middle ground between 9 and 12in...

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Where did you buy it from? You got me looking at Garmins now...Tempted by the 7608xsv :)

Have you checked out the 7610xsv? Might be your middle ground between 9 and 12in...
I would definitely go 942 over the 7608(if you could even get one)
Regarding the 7600 series I have found that they are "no longer available" on most sites like Westmarine, gpsstore, etc...
7600 series had G2 charts, lower res, slower processor than 8600.
I ruled them out in favor of the 942/1242 series. The 1242 has a bigger viewable screen(although lesser resolution and technology) than the 8612(8600 series is top line but more than I need and too many$$$.). The 1042 would be perfect if it came in Touch but they dropped that size in touchscreen.
I played with them in WM for an hour...twice... If you do that you will want 12" Touch..its like getting two screens(thats how I'm slowly justifying an extra $1000)
Watch this video if you are contemplating Garmin Choosing the right chartplotter

It comes down to what you need for your size boat and fishing habit. If you don't need radar and the internal xsv sonar is good enough (its fine for coastal fishing) you could get an Echo series with transom transducer.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks!

I need to keep researching Garmin more and will watch that video. I was considering the 742 as well, but I do not believe they have sidevu. Maybe I am wrong? Looking at two units that are less than 19-1/4 x 7-7/8

Right now, I have an old school Furuno that seems to do what I need for radar. I still want to target a unit that is radar capable so if it dies, I can just buy a new radar rather than a unit as well. I don’t go offshore like you but never would have thought I needed radar until that fog from last week. GPS alone wouldnot have worked....

Checking out WM again this AM to play with the GPSMap line. West Marine will be having the Simrad Cruise line on sale, GO9, andNSS as well. Seems to be 9 and 12in focus. Hoping the circular is available so I can get an idea on the Garmin.

Reactions: Dand1

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Went with 2 GO9s today at WM for 899 (Active Imaging plus Navionics) and got the triple points. Had them order for me and shipped to store as they only had 1 in stock.

They had the 7 and 9 Echomaps on sale, GPSMap 742 and 942. And a radar bundle with the 942 I believe. I left the flyer in store but they have it at the counter if you ask.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Little KaTuna

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I have the same dilemma I have to upgrades I am thinking of going with the 8612 xsv and using my old 4208 for the radar that is still working.I will most likely go with a 2k through hull transducer because most of my fishing is in the deep.I still have a lot of research to do before I commit

ocdansar

Reaction score
I just purchased in the last 6 weeks. (2) Garmin 8612’s Garmin 24 fantom Radar B265LM transducer Garmin reactor 40 autopilot with 2.0 pump and GHC20 control .
I shopped this stuff til my head hurt. I purchased the garmins from ultimate passage and everything else plus fusion radio with DVD player speakers and 2 amps from Gil at semperfi. Good guy feel like he treated me right.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
SkunkBoat - As an FYI, If you purchase from UltimatePassage, you can pick up in Bayville if shipping is a killer. Their distribution center is located there, only sells wholesale but they redirected me to Lisa at UltimatePassage

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Just ordered the 1242xsv Touch Plus from Hodgesmarine. I had it in "wish list". It went down to $2143 (best price anywhere) and they had 127 in stock. WM had none in stock/4 on order. I was still surfing around for a better holiday deal. Tried asking WM if they price match but they won't match Hodgesmarine.com they don't have a store within 50 miles. WM will match Amazon but they have no deals. Was hoping to get price match and WM points.
So today their stock dropped to 99 units and the price went up $100!:mad: So I ordered it...
Then I ordered a GMR 18xHD radar $1399 on Amazon because I could use Prime points and get points (5%) which works out to be the best deal I can get on that model radar.

I looked at the guy on THTand ultimate passage. They did not have that exact model. I think they are using CWR Electronics in Bayville,NJ near me. They are a wholesale electronics distributor. reasearched that and it looks like anyone can sign up and "be a dealer". They don't list prices on their site. Thought about signing up and see what deal I could get but I just don't have the time or energy anymore. This "spending money on the boat" thing is draining....o_O

I think I will be selling the raytheon SL70 radar and the Echomap 94xsv with GT51M-TM xducer.
I'll get a GT51m-TH to mount in the place of the old B744. I'll network the new1242 with my 4208, new radar, gsd22 with the new R199 2kw xducer. I'll probably convert my dash cubby to a flat panel.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Did your local west marine say the 50 mile criteria or was it the 1-800#? The 800# told me the same about defender but my local WM didn’t hesitate to say they would match. They even gave me the membership price for defender.

Because of your experience, I’m going to buy the Standard HorizonGX1850g from Hodges now because it’s cheaper than anybody else and even less than the unit without GPS...

Don’t worry....Pull the trigger and don’t look back! I’m still wasting time on the fuel flow sensor and NMEA starter kit hoping somebody will have a discount code for Black Friday

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Did your local west marine say the 50 mile criteria or was it the 1-800#? The 800# told me the same about defender but my local WM didn’t hesitate to say they would match. They even gave me the membership price for defender.

Because of your experience, I’m going to buy the Standard HorizonGX1850g from Hodges now because it’s cheaper than anybody else and even less than the unit without GPS...

Don’t worry....Pull the trigger and don’t look back! I’m still wasting time on the fuel flow sensor and NMEA starter kit hoping somebody will have a discount code for Black Friday
consider the GX2400. It has an AIS receiver that will connect to your GO9 thru NMEA2k and it has a GPS, a hailer and auto fog horn.
AIS really helps in fog and dark and finding commercial/charter vessels.
But I suppose it would be better to spend less on the VHF and then get an AIS transmitter/receiver.They are $800.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Skunk,
I bought the 943xsv or plus back in April. I really like it and looked at the 10 and 12 inch version of that series. I have 24xhd radar and a shoot thru hull m260 50/200 xducer which was on my 4208 GSD22 like you had as well. I am pleased with system and you could add the Garmin backbone network expander to the system to give you more flexibility in adding peripherals. I like the Active Captain feature and having my plotter on my phone . I have a Garmin In Reach Explorer but I found out the plotter only interfaces with the Garmin In Reach Mini. I bought the explorer because it has a ususble GPS screen as a back up where the mini does not.

I am going to figure out what cable I need to connect the 942xsbplus to my motor . I have 17 4.2 liter f250 digital so it's my understanding all I need is cable and the 942 xsplus has a display of all the Yamaha gaugaes and data .

Garmin may not be the best in marine market ,it seems many think Furono is but all my Garmin products. from the boat to hand helds to my bike units are all intuitive ,built well and when I have had problems Garmin took care of it. The 4200 series was a tank series by them.
Congrats on the purchase !

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I think you just need Garmin-Yamaha Engine Bus to J1939 Adapter Cable
My Suzukis use the NMEA2k

1242 has 2 network ports and the 4208 has 3 so I can connect them together and have sonar box and radar and an extra port.

Got an early present from Santa. Going to flat panel it. Probably move the Suzuki gauges up on the right. Make a new 'cubby" tray with hinged lid where the gauges are?

Put the 4208 up in the top box (so we can see sonar while fishing) and sell the Echo94sv

Garmin1242_ - 1.jpeg

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I posted this several weeks ago when I got an email for it being a new product from BOE Marine. To me, I think it's about the perfect combination of size, that's what she said, as well as price and functionality. I've been looking for what electronics I'll purchase for whenever I buy my next boat and think this might be the one. I like that it's bigger than the 7608xsv in that it's a 9" screen yet unlike the 942xs it comes with the side scanning sonar right off the bat and you don't have to buy another module or black box or whatnot. Lastly, it only retails at $1,399 so it's about $1,000 less than the 7610xsv/8610xsv and you can get radar added for about another $1k. To me, an MFD with transducer and radar dome all for under $2700 or less seems like a pretty good option.

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I found Garmin ECHOMap 94uhd sv version for $700. Available at a couple of places for that price. Seems like a good unit for that price. GPSstore, BassProshops are two with that price. Was $1150, then $1000, available for $700. With what I believeis an adequate transducer