Helm Seat Height...and other seat discussions

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm playing out ways to improve my helm seat without spending $1000+
Has anyone raised the height of their helm seat?
I think its too low on my 265 express

View with current setup Pompanette type seat on 23" high pedestal base (2 -7/8" dia)
ChTiUsal.jpg

View with 6" of cushions added to raise me up
FlQPnrCl.jpg

Butt height for 6' tall person would be like a leaning post. Feet on deck....half-sitting
S1DVOwDm.jpg

Feet comfortably on footrest with 6" additional height.
ktqGGR2m.jpg

UDTFeplm.jpg

23" from deck to top of post
X0omkWIm.jpg

A new taller 30" pedestal is $109
Slider and spider are trashed...need new. Best Todd slider/spider is $189 at West Marine
I could add some new foam to the cushions which are in OK shape.

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm in airport transit right now BUT there was a post by a fellow member Holokai I believe a few months ago.
He added 6 or 9" (can't remember which) with a pedestal extension for whatever it's worth Skunk.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Reactions: jimever

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Here’s the ones Holokai used. Can’t find his post.
https://www.arrigonidesign.com/pedestals/pedestal-extender/
That is the only vendor of a 2-7/8" dia extender I can find on the web. $60 plus shipping. Strange they have a form to FAX your order....WTF?...What the Fax????
That would be quick but then I'd have to worry about it spinning.

Leaning towards replacing the pedestal with 30" for $109 from West Marine.
Have to check out how easily I'll get the old one out. Access is good but generally 20 yr old boat hardware causes aggravation....strip screw heads....

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
That is one of the things that drove me crazy with my 265, my eye level was perfect with the top of the windshield. I always thought about raising the helm seat however in the end just used the good old yellow page technique and sat on a cushion.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Here’s the ones Holokai used. Can’t find his post.
https://www.arrigonidesign.com/pedestals/pedestal-extender/

I used this one on my 330. The only issue I had was that the 6" rise made it too high & difficult to stand when I had the tilt helm tilted all the way up. I took 2" off the rise and it is now a perfect fit for me. Sitting I can see over the compass & pulpit and standing the seat hits me exactly like a leaning post. BTW I am 5' 8"

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A cheap way to do this is to use wood to make a spacer under the seat between it and the slider.

That extender looks nice - I see there's a locking bolt to keep it from spinning, but does the extender fit tightly (no wobble)?

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
A cheap way to do this is to use wood to make a spacer under the seat between it and the slider.

That extender looks nice - I see there's a locking bolt to keep it from spinning, but does the extender fit tightly (no wobble)?

i have had the extender in place for about 6 months now & once the bolt was tightened down there has been no wobble at all

seasick

Reaction score
I used the pedestal extension mentioned on my boat. The part raises the seat 6 inches but I wanted a bit less so I cut it on a wood lathe using a hacksaw and then had to smooth out the lip of the cut. A lathe at a machine shop would be much better.The extender fits tightly and doesn't wobble at all.
here is the part https://www.arrigonidesign.com/pedestals/pedestal-extender/

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I got the info from seasick and Shane9052. Called Arrigoni and put in an order over the phone (no issues and they were fast in processing).

Shipping to Hawaii was expensive but it was easier and cheaper than modifying the pedestals. Put a bit of threadlocker on the bolt used as a set screw and no wobbling so far. There’s another guy on island with a 208 (not on this forum) and he’s been using the extenders for a few years without issue. He fishes rough water too and they’ve been holding up.

For shorter people (like me) you might want to consider making a standing platform for the driver about 6” high. Makes getting into the seat easier. Shane made one for his boat that you can see in the pics.

I made one too and covered it with some leftover SeaDek helm pad.
7BFDF69E-6629-4434-AD60-C2682313EC44.jpeg

Attachments

• F13936B4-20E7-4B7E-80D4-46B3660ED60F.jpeg
    F13936B4-20E7-4B7E-80D4-46B3660ED60F.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 5

Fishtales

Reaction score
Nice work. Did you do anything on the backside to mitigate noise and chafing?

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Nice work. Did you do anything on the backside to mitigate noise and chafing?

I had a bunch leftover scraps of surfboard/SUP traction padding that keep the wood from direct contact with the gelcoat. Could have used some type of rubber or neoprene with contact cement but I was fortunate enough to have scraps of traction pads with the adhesive backing. You can kind of see it on the right edge of the platform (purple strips).

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I just ordered the extender myself - cant wait to try it out! No more sitting on float cushions!

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Mounted a new Todd locking slider/swivel on my old seat. The old one was broken and bolted in the fwd position.
Its nice to be able to slide it back!!!!
I'm going to order one of those https://www.arrigonidesign.com/pedestals/pedestal-extender/ to get some more height.

View attachment 12377

If you’re 5’8 or shorter you might want to consider making a standing platform at the helm. It helps with sight lines and it makes getting into the chairs easier after adding the pedestal extenders. You can also move your footrest up two holes so it’s still useable with the higher seat.

I added a 55 qt cooler for drinks/food between the seats and cut the standing platform to keep it in place.

Attachments

• 16AED03E-04AB-4595-A641-537636AC0259.jpeg
    16AED03E-04AB-4595-A641-537636AC0259.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: jimever