Horn replacement

wlewis

Reaction score
I need to replace the horn on my 225, a mini compact horn. Neither the original nor a replacement lasted too long. Can anyone suggest one that lasts more than a few years?

seasick

Reaction score
They don't make them like they used to:(
Using it more frequently may prolong life a bit.

wlewis

Reaction score
It is externally mounted at base of passenger side of windshield, facing slightly downward.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yeah, I'm not sure any of these inexpensive ones really last any better than another. Maybe shim it to angle a little further downward? The flush-mount ones often use some type of fabric that allows sound to go through, but the ocassional light splash is suppsoedly kept out - but even those don't last forever, either. Maybe take the horn apart and see if you can fit some heavy duty weedblock material? Just thinking outloud... spray silicone into the horn once in a while?

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Any thoughts on the brands ....Marinco vs Ongaro?

I need to pick up a dual one and the prices have me scratching my head as they look identical so I don’t get why one is 50% more or so

Marinco Compact Electric Horns https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000NI39SY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8F4BCKY5DG4MQXXAP6ZK

Reactions: ItalianAngler

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

I need to pick up a dual one and the prices have me scratching my head as they look identical so I don’t get why one is 50% more or so

Marinco Compact Electric Horns https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000NI39SY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8F4BCKY5DG4MQXXAP6ZK

Are the internals the same, as well? Check that out to be sure - don't judge a book by it's cover ;)

wlewis

Reaction score
I noticed the price difference too. The Ongaro is about twice the price of Marinco.

wlewis

Reaction score
Ongaro website states "All Stainless". Marinco states "Stainless Covers". Assume that means some of Ongaro internal parts are stainless?

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep - Not sure what All means vs Marinco saying bracket, diaphragm and covers.

did notice that Marinco has 1 yr warranty vs Ongaro with 5

wrxhoon

Reaction score
On my last 228 I replaced it with one that has a long trumpet and faced it downwards, never had a problem for 7 years.

Skunkboat, I have LED lights on my trailer, they are LED brand made in Taiwan now 9 years old still working always used in salt water and I never leave the boat in the water, always in and out .
Your trailer lights don't comply the our rules, our indicators must be amber.

1617091824217.png

seasick

Reaction score
Ongaro website states "All Stainless". Marinco states "Stainless Covers". Assume that means some of Ongaro internal parts are stainless?
The 'some internal parts are stainless' models' should last longer. To an extent, it depends on the quality of the steel. That said, the non stainless diaphragms rust and corrode quickly in salty air

Reactions: SkunkBoat

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

That's the one I just installed, nearly identical to what I had, but much louder probably due to it being new.

white diamond

Reaction score
Try hitting the horn with a rubber mallet before buying a new horn. After replacing mine a few times over the years, I found that the horn will usually work again after a few whacks.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've given up on the Ongaros. They last about 2 years.

But it's worth a shot to try and repair Ongaro horns. The 2 most common problems are that the tensioners get loose and the horn gets so out of tune that they stop making noise or the contacts become corroded and/or fused. If you take the cover off of the horn you can sometimes adjust the tensioner screws and clean the contacts. But this only works for a little while.

I boat in an area where the river is crowed with inexperienced boater during the summer scallop season. So I use a hand held horn similar to the one posted by PNW_Drifter. I keep it on the dash when I'm in the river and it has saved my cookies a couple of times. They are much louder and more reliable than the installed horns. And they are easier to grab in an emergency relative to looking for the horn button and hoping that the horn still works. So my nice shiny Ongaro horn is just kept as a deck ornament

wlewis

Reaction score
Went ahead and ordered a new Ongaro. They make two different ones, one with higher stainless content. I ordered the better one. Before installing, I'll try the remedies suggested. Thanks for all the feedback.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The design of these horns dates back to 1910. .....stolen from wikipedia..."driven by a flat circular steel diaphragm that has an electromagnetacting on it in one direction and a spring pulling in the opposite direction. The diaphragm is attached to contact points that repeatedly interrupt the current to that electromagnet causing the diaphragm to spring back the other way, which completes the circuit again. This arrangement opens and closes the circuit hundreds of times per second, which creates a loud noise like a buzzer or electric bell, which sound enters a horn to be amplified. There is usually a screw to adjust the distance/tension of the electrical contacts for best operation."

Now , they COULD make an electronic horn that does not use contacts but generates a signal instead. That technology has only been dirt cheap for 50 years.

I have a Hailer in my VHF. It connects to a (so far) reliable loudspeaker. Has a great horn function but I have to go thru 5 steps in a push button menu to use it.

You think they would put a "Horn" button on the mic... that would be genius!!!!

Reactions: everwhom