How difficult to install outriggers

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Just bought a new Freedom 335 with delivery in early June. I thinking about having outriggers installed and wondered if I could do it myself or would it be best to pay the dealer? I am pretty handy person, but don't know what the install entails.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks for asking. I was wondering the same thing. I am pretty handy, but also know Fiberglass is a 'nuther beast'.. heh

Will watch for the answers.

As if I knew how to use outriggers.. lol

Russ

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You first have to decide on side outriggers or hardtop outriggers.
Side is just drilling holes and bolting on tilt-out riggers with extrawide washers or backing plates. Hardest part is placement and access to the nut side of the bolts.

Hardtop requires mounting plates welded in the hardtop frame, a big hole, and lots of money.... ...they are the coolest though!

btw...I'm just assuming your aren't considering gunnel mount riggers on a 33 freedom

Last edited:

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have installed both hardtop and side mount outriggers. The difficulty of the install It all depends on location and access. In either case you have a number of through bolts to install. Your 335 may have factory mounted backing plates for taco hardtop riggers, my 305 did. It was a fairly easy install, just drilling holes through the hardtop, sealing and bolting. I installed side mounted lees on my 265, hardest part was figuring out the exact location to mount them, fortunately Grady provided a couple pictures and PDFs of the factory mount locations. I personally prefer the hardtop mounted tacos better. They are never in the way, up there.

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I am pretty sure that the boat comes with the backing plates installed in the hardtop. So, I am thinking this is something I can tackle. Assuming Taco is the way to go?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I ran Taco's on my last boat and have Taco's on this one. Always good stuff with no issues.

Reactions: capeman

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 330 express had hardtop outriggers installed by a previous owner. The backing plates are not welded to anything -- they are just bolted to the hard top. They're rock solid and I often pull 2 heavy splash bars on each 18' carbon rigger. I had similar riggers installed on the hard top of my previous boat (Boston Whaler 28 Conquest) -- it isn't complicated. Definitely doable by yourself if you have the right tools and have decent experience. You have to make sure you seal and bed everything properly so water can't get into the core. There are a lot of how-to's online!

For me I figured it was better to have a pro do it!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I installed my own on my last boat (Seaswirl Striper 2301) through the hardtop with backing plates from Lee, they had a better finish than Taco backing plates. I installed the Taco GS280's through the top, not attached to the frame, and they were very solid. My current boat had the gunnel mounts so I just stayed with those, but they are Taco's also.

IMG_0134.JPG

Fishtales

Reaction score
I installed the Taco GS270s on the hardtop a while back. I believe you have the underside mounting plates integrated in the hardtop frame. You should be ready to go. You have to drill (5) holes. A large diameter and (4) mounting bolts. It is an easy job. Just need the hole saw and right bolt bit and the balls to drill your top.

Fishtales

Reaction score