Indian River, DE and Delaware Bay

batojim

Reaction score
:) Dr. Kleen. Congrats on passing the course. You will likely have special status at the gathering. Last year I took a CG Coastal Navigation course and passed. I think I barely passed. I told my wife that, as a result, she could count on me to get us home safely, maybe a little late, but safe. :lol:

I also notice that the Indian River Marina (right at the Indian River Inlet, north side) gives discounts on transient slips for members of BoatUS, gas and other services are discounted also. I'll try to nail a date soon so that folks can reserve a slip there.

Jim

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
batojim said:
:) I also notice that the Indian River Marina (right at the Indian River Inlet, north side) gives discounts on transient slips for members of BoatUS, gas and other services are discounted also. I'll try to nail a date soon so that folks can reserve a slip there. Jim

I hope they not only give a discount for BoatUS, but an additional one for a group... the transient rates posted on the web are a costly... do they think they're in Annapolis or something... :roll:

Brian

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I know I'm the new guy here, but I am interested in this group, and their activities. Since the last post on this gathering of Grady's has been nearly a month, I'm wondering if there is still interest in having it? I will be going over to the North Shore marina this week, and can inquire at the office regards to group discount, should anyone want me to do that. They probably would ask how many in the group. Is someone else looking into this?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Who's Coordinating

Capt Bill said:
. Since the last post on this gathering of Grady's has been nearly a month, I'm wondering if there is still interest in having it? ...Is someone else looking into this?

I'm only the "long-distance" guy here, but batojim indicated earlier (on page one) that he would start the organizing in late March. Can't speak for him, but that's about now, so I wouldn't do anything w/o coordinating with him.

Cheers,
Brian

Seafarer228G

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Bill,
I am definitely still interested in this group. That would be great if you could inquire about group rates at North Shore. I think batojim was planning the festivities, but not totally sure.

-Jeff

batojim

Reaction score
Hey, Capt. This gig is still on, though in the initial planning stages. One reason why I wanted to put off planning for a wee bit is that it is still early, but, and most important, I am taking delivery on my new GW232 in a couple of weeks and I wanted to see through to a satisfactory end the process for obtaining a slip at the Indian River North Marina. Imagine that! I get a new boat and am notified that I come off the waiting list at IRN Marina! Let's face it: I admit that I have been doing little but thinking about the boat, etc. I should be in the water in mid-April and life should return to normal.

I, too, have been thinking about getting a discount for the guys coming in from out of town. In any event, I beleive that we will be able to find a place for everyone to tie up at for a night. I also have in mind a nice cove where we can all tie/raft for an afternoon of festivities. Getting there will make us all one hell of a parade. Special flags for the event? Capt., I encourage you to inquire at the IRN marina about discounts for a group. We can settle on an estimated number soon.

In addition, I am thinking about where we can have a dinner/awards banquet on the evening of the festivities. The way I see it, everyone will get an award (and dinner). I have a lot of good ideas on how to make this a worthy event that, for the moment, I will hold close to chest. But very soon, I am going to ramp-up the planning process for this GreatGrady gathering so as to give us all a wonderful, rewarding time. Question for the guys: if we costume at the evening, will you come as a pirate, Nemo, or Davy Jones? Decisions, decisions.

Again, I will put in time and effort and serve as the organizer, but I recognize that the more folks are involved, the better the event will be. :D

Dr. Kleen

Reaction score
I am still interested in participating, will probably make the trip south, and then go north to IRI. Just have to see how the weather is when the trip is planned, will probably make it a week trip.

jeff d

PS: Just got my official CG License in the mail, so I guess it's Official!!

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
OK, I'll check with Gary at the marina office to find out about a possible group discount, or whatever he may be willing to do. Meanwhile Jim, I sent you a PM. Have an idea that might be helpful, but want to run it by you before posting here.

Jeff D. A hearty congratulations to you on your Coast Guard license!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
batojim said:
Question for the guys: if we costume at the evening, will you come as a pirate, Nemo, or Davy Jones?

Well, since I have a shaved head, and wear an earring...... :D

Brian

batojim

Reaction score
Capt. Bill. Got the message and will contact you by phone. Dr. Kleen, looking forward to seeing you up here. Your circumnavigation of DELMARVA sounds interesting and it has piqued our interest to do it sometime.

Once again, everyone is welcome. I suppose if there is a requirement it is that you own, have owned, or plan to own a Grady.

Ocnsir, AARRRRGGGGGG! But do you have a parrot? Reminds me of a joke .......

batojim

Reaction score
GGrady DE-VA-MA Hoe-Down!!

Jeff - Tim: I am assuming that I (we) can organize and plan the GreatGrady DE-MA-VA Hoe-down on this forum and on this thread. If there is a special form or rules that you want me to follow, please let me know.

Several of you have contacted me with some great ideas. To recap, we are looking at Saturday, August 20th (or the 21st). Mark your calenders. If some one knows of a reason why this would not be an appropriate date, let me know asap.

At the moment, I count seven boats, but I have no doubt that there will be many more as we get closer to the day. I will start keeping a registration list of those persons that have indicated an interest to which new registrants will be added.

One of the board members has extended an offer that may result in a single location where we can hold all of the festivities, including dockage for a fair number of boats, room to raft-up, and a place for our evening activities!!! Details need to be looked at and several issues need to be resolved, but this is a great development that if successful will move the Hoe-down forward considerably. I will get back to everyone soon about this option.

I believe that the locals should "host" the out of town folks. What I mean is that the local folks will provide the food and drink so that the out of town folks need not cart a bunch of stuff around. As we get closer to the date, I will start a list of who will be bringing what. I envision a lot of different types of food with folks bringing their favorite recipes, etc.

Finally, while this is an open event, it will be a private affair. There is no formal club or organization here, just a bunch of folks that want to meet and have a good time. Kids could be involved (I encourage this) and it could be we end up on private property. While we will make sure that we all have an absolute blast, and while we are all very young at heart and soul and there could be one or more kegs involved, this will not be a fraternity or high school beer kegger (you know what I mean).

I will be traveling out of the country, but upon my return I will be checking out the location and will be right back in touch.

Please contat me with any questions, ideas, etc. Thanks to all. Jim

Tournament223

Reaction score
Jim, the reason Jeff and I started this forum was to bring Grady-White owners together and to share information about their boats..The DE-MA-VA Hoe-down thread is yours to organize your event and it sounds like it will be a blast...Jeff will be attending your event...Talk to you soon... :D

GALILEO

Reaction score
Great Grady DeMaVaLOUS Gathering!

Good news continues. At this time, there are two viable and excellent options for our event, both of which would give us an opportunitie to gather a large number of boats, and a terra firma location to hold our late afternoon/evening activities, including the DeMaVaLOUS Banquet.

Under the first option, which is the best option, I am following through on a lead to obtain group discounted transient slips at a local marina, which would include electricity, water, and overnighting. At no charge, the marina would provide space and a pavilion, along with tables and chairs for our festivities. Showers and large clean bathrooms would be avaiable. This locataion is very accessible and central to all from DE MA VA.

Second option, which is almost as good as the first, free dockage would be available for a large number of boats at a private location (3 homes next to each other with a nice number of slips.) There would be space for our festivities, electricity and water. The location is not as central as the first option, but is in an accessible and nice location. We would all share in whatever costs would be incurred (a tent or pavilion, an out-door john, etc.) to have the event.

In addition, a few feelers that I have put out inidicate that a local Grady dealer (and well as the Mgf) may be interested in some form of participation.

The current agenda is as follows:

August 20.

Morning until noon: Check-in and registration (All participants must have registered before the event. Registration packets to include names tags for registrants and thier boats, maps, pictoral directory of participants and thier boats, information on events, T-shirts, etc.)

Early afternoon: Great Grady Parade (A slow moving conga line-like procession of Gradys with flags flying and horns blaring).

Afternoon: Great Grady Raft-up (On water gathering of Gradys for activites of swimming, boat hopping, partying, contests, food and refreshments).

Late Afternoon: Great Grady Hoe-Down (On shore gathering of registrants for activites, meeting and greeting, partying, food and refreshments.)

Evening: The Great Grady DeMaVaLOUS Banquet (a formal [shorts and sandals required] evening of great food, few speeches, many awards and prizes, and (?) some dancing).

Late Late Evening: The Great Grady DeMaVaLOUS Gathering concludes.

NOTE THE I WILL BE CHANGING MY USER NAME TO GALILEO. I am retiring my old username (BatoJim) and will switch over to GALILEO. You can either call me Jim --- or Galileo. Thanks.

Thanks.[/quote]

NOTE, I ACCIDENTALLY STARTED A NEW TOPIC ON THIS. ALL FUTURE NOTICE CONCERNING THIS EVENT WILL BE POSTED IN THIS THREAD UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTIFIED. THANKS Jim.

GALILEO

Reaction score
Great Grady DeMaVaLOUS Gathering!

NOTE THE I WILL BE CHANGING MY USER NAME TO GALILEO. I am retiring my old username (BatoJim) and will switch over to GALILEO. You can either call me Jim --- or Galileo. Thanks.

Thanks.[/quote]

GALILEO

Reaction score
Great Grady DeMaVaLOUS Gathering: HEADCOUNT

NEED HEAD COUNT: Registration starts today.

In order to explore the options referenced in my prior email (posted under BatoJim), I need to get an initial head count.

Remember that the event is for only current owners of a Grady White boat and thier families and guests. Families are encouraged. Since this is a boat gathering, registration is by boat owner and boat.

Second, transient slips and docks will be reserved for out of town guests. For the time being "out of town" means a boat whose home dock is outside of the Indian River Inlet, Indian River Bay, Rehoboth Bay, and thier creeks and tributaries.

There is a possibility that registration will have to be closed (would'nt that be great). So I encourage you to register as soon as possible. If, God willing, there are too many persons that wnat to come, I will keep a waiting list.

Since for planning purposes, I need an early head count. Please let me know if you are coming. Everyone that replies to this early call will have thier names placed on the registration list which opens as of today.

Respond on this thread. Thanks. Jim

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
DeMaVaLOUS

"C-Time", our Islander 270, will be there with Cathy and Brian onboard.

We are quite happy with the options presented, and look forward to an little ocean run up the coast to join the gathering.

Brian

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
GALILEO said:
Gotcha Brian. You and Cindy are on the registration list, as is C-Time.

That sounds great, but Cathy may be a bit put out by that.... :shock:

Brian

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Jim,

I'm in with G/W Sailfish "Odyssea". My wife, Reidun and I will be there, and there is a possibility of 2 guests. This is going to be Funtastic event. Thanks to you for your insight and energy to make this happen! Hat's off to Jeff and Tim for their insight and energy to bring us this much-needed forum.