Is the 215 good offshore for fishing? Can you add a hardtop?

billyttpd

Reaction score
Atlantic Towers in New Jersey makes a hardtop in a box for dual consoles in the 215 size range. You can shop their product on their website. I have had my Adventure 20 miles offshore and i would take a 215 20-30...after I check my weather and go over the boat and make sure everything is in good working order ( i do this when i go a mile off too) ....West Marine sells GPS locator beacons for a few hundred bucks. Going to invest in one of those too.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
11755 3rd Street E Treasure Island, FL33706
Model
Seafarer
Atlantic Towers in Jersey. That’s a good thing to know. I see you have an Adventure. Which one do you have? The 215 and the Adventures’ are the two boats I’m going to buy after the first. I‘ve put a lot of time and research on the 208 and the 228. I have a line on a 215 when it’s available after the first. I’m considering that one with a hardtop. Is that the same hull as the Adventure228? Yes, it’s a great idea to have a safety check list. I will be going out and alone at times.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I highly suggest finding/getting a Grady with a Grady Hardtop. It will be a bargain compared to adding one later and it will be better.
I have fished as far as 75 miles east in a 20 footer with a single 4 stroke outboard in flat calm. You have to be absolutely sure about the weather and don't push the window.
A 2 or 3 hour ride in flat seas will become 12 hours of hell if you overstay your welcome.
Bigger is better....and IMO the Adventure is more suited to venturing long than a 215 bowrider

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I highly suggest finding/getting a Grady with a Grady Hardtop. It will be a bargain compared to adding one later and it will be better.
I have fished as far as 75 miles east in a 20 footer with a single 4 stroke outboard in flat calm. You have to be absolutely sure about the weather and don't push the window.
A 2 or 3 hour ride in flat seas will become 12 hours of hell if you overstay your welcome.
Bigger is better....and IMO the Adventure is more suited to venturing long than a 215 bowrider

I’m glad you mentioned that about the 228, 208 vs the 215. Back to original thoughts on the Adventure and not the Freedom. As for the hardtop I met with a Grady sales rep and he mentioned it too. Although he’s selling product, it made a lot of sense. He mentioned that anything structurally speaking would be better made that way verses aftermarket tops.

billyttpd

Reaction score
My boat is a 1996 Adventure 20 which would be a 208 today. I have a bimini. 20 ft LOA. the Seafarer is the 22 foot walkaround. IDK if a hardtop is a factory option on a 215 or not. my only other suggestion of you go the bowrider route is go with twin helm chairs versus the front and back slider seat for a little more fishing room

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Got it. Given my thoughts for adventure, my final decision rests on the 208 02 a 228.
If buying new and in the budget, hardtop is a no brainer that you will never regret. I wish I had one on mine!
I charter captain friend mentioned, it’s best to have one and I have reached that conclusion which takes the 215 out. They have Bimini’s only.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My boat is a 1996 Adventure 20 which would be a 208 today. I have a bimini. 20 ft LOA. the Seafarer is the 22 foot walkaround. IDK if a hardtop is a factory option on a 215 or not. my only other suggestion of you go the bowrider route is go with twin helm chairs versus the front and back slider seat for a little more fishing room

I’ve decided to go the 208 or 228 route. My thoughts for adventure (Adventure) go beyond the inter coastal I definitely am going with the hardtop for several reasons. I’d like to know more about your boat and it’s pro’s and cons. Anything I should know?

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The benefit of the 228 is the closed transom and extra space. If your truck can tow it, I would go 228.

I’ve a GMC 1500 Sierra 2012. It’ll tow it. I like the idea of a closed transom. It’ll be a toss up between the two. Is that what you have? If so, what are the pros and cons?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Bigger always better. Get the hardtop factory installed. Acess for backing plates will be tough after built.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
If brand new/budget not a factor go with the 228 with a hardtop. You’re going to want a 250 or 300 on it as well.

Also recommend getting a trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes. The half ton truck should have enough power to pull it but a loaded 228 will test its stopping ability, especially if you have a lot of hills on your drive.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well Holokai, I’ve got the truck and I’m working on the budget. I was thinking 250 too. Three hundred, wouldn’t give that up either. Agreed, from what I’ve read anything under 200 is underpowered.
Budget-wise, I’m thinking a 5-10 yr old 228 (low hrs). They’re out there( 2016). I saw one at $79,000 and im sure that was negotiable. I can get a 208 for $ 75,000.
I like the idea about the trailer brakes. Would discs work?

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The used 228 sounds like the best value and fit.

For the trailer (especially with saltwater use) go with all stainless disc electric over hydraulic disc brakes. Have the actuator mounted high on the winch post so it won’t get accidentally dunked. Get an aftermarket brake controller unless you have OEM one with manual actuation.