Loss of Steering

TonyD

Reaction score
Might have to research this more.. the telefax model doesn't appear to have the same mounting option that I currently have.. It doesn't look like any of the Seastar models have what I took off... I had 4 screws in a square pattern - anything and everything I see is 3 screws in a triangular pattern

On edit- well it looks like I have to change the whole mounting on the console, so I picked this up too:
Teleflex SB27150P NFB 90 Degree Bezel Marine Rotary Steering Kit

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
Hopefully the new bezel will cover the old holes. Besides, the new parts will look nice.

Reactions: TonyD

TonyD

Reaction score
Yeah wow! That's it! Seastar also called me back this morning and I explained what I had and he confirmed it was the Big T model. But I have already ordered a new helm and went with the no feedback system - which yeah, I am going to have to change the bezel and mounting hardware. Which gladly, Seastar also confirmed I ordered the correct bezel kit for the helm I ordered.

of course delivery these days are by camelback so I am going to have to wait 2 weeks for the parts...

TonyD

Reaction score
Hey there - I hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend!
So I finally got all my parts for this but before I ut everything back together, I have some cosmetic repair to do. As expected, the new bezel does not line up with the holes from the old bezel and of course does not cover them. So I am guessing that first, I need to fill the holes with silicone or something so that water does not get in there to the exposed wood.

But the next thing I want to do it maybe place a small piece of starboard over the hole and create a new hole for all the mounting hardware of the helm. I am looking for am 1/8th of an inch in thickness and a 6x7" piece of starboard.
However, it appears that 1/4" is the smallest thickness starboard has and also it appears everything is sold in sheets which for cost and what I want to do, seems like there might be an easier way to go about this.

here's a picture of the dash.. if you look at the ignition plate, when they re-powered, they put that piece (of what I thought was starboard) behind the plate and secured that into the dash first. Kind of looking to do the same thing. Is there an alternate option to starboard or something I can get easier or maybe there is just a better way to help this cosmetically than doing what I am thinking here?

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes - just make a plate to go over that area, and mount the new equipment. Starboard isn't overly strong, so you won't want it to structural - only cosmetic if possible. Do the new bolts still go through the main dash? As long as you are going to re-drill the existing ply you will be fine. Seal it up good. If the new hardware is small enough that it misses all the old holes, then you want something like stainless or 1/4"+ aluminum that will provide plenty of strength.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'd polish up some stainless steel if it was mine. Over sized plate straight to the front of the dash, benefit of good looks and lots of added strength. You might be able to lay it out and have it fabricated at a local shop if you don't want to do it yourself. There are many other options though.

TonyD

Reaction score
I'd polish up some stainless steel if it was mine. Over sized plate straight to the front of the dash, benefit of good looks and lots of added strength. You might be able to lay it out and have it fabricated at a local shop if you don't want to do it yourself. There are many other options though.
Stainless steel... where would I find that? Would I be able to get a piece with about an 1/8th" thickness..

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Again, the question is how much work is the overlay going to do? If you are still drilling through the ply/gel dashboard for the mounting holes of the new helm, then 1/8" thick almost anything is fine. If, however, the new material is going to carry the load of the new helm, then you need something strong. 1/4" steel or better I would say. Any metal shop will be happy to cut you a piece.

TonyD

Reaction score
Yeah, I am still going to drill through the dash, the plate is mostly for aesthetics, covering up the 4 holes, etc.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Then you can use whatever you want. Thin Delrin/Starboard? Buy a cutting board at Walmart. :cool:

Reactions: TonyD

TonyD

Reaction score
Can ya get a thin cutting board at Walmart and will it stand the UV elements like starboard does? Starboard thickness is 1/4" minimum on thickness, I was hoping for an 1/8th".

TonyD

Reaction score
I found some cutting boards a Target that are 0.13 inches thick... white plastic.. is that good enough? Or should it be starboard or something more marine like...

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
But the next thing I want to do it maybe place a small piece of starboard over the hole and create a new hole for all the mounting hardware of the helm. I am looking for am 1/8th of an inch in thickness and a 6x7" piece of starboard.
However, it appears that 1/4" is the smallest thickness starboard has and also it appears everything is sold in sheets which for cost and what I want to do, seems like there might be an easier way to go about this.

West Marine sells 12" x 24" starboard

TonyD

Reaction score
West Marine sells 12" x 24" starboard
Yeah but I am finding out that starboard minimum thickness is 1/4" - I was hoping for something smaller like an 1/8th". I did find a cutting board that is 0.13 thick but I am hoping tat the plastic will hold up on me.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Yeah but I am finding out that starboard minimum thickness is 1/4" - I was hoping for something smaller like an 1/8th". I did find a cutting board that is 0.13 thick but I am hoping tat the plastic will hold up on me.
you can get 1/8 abs on amazon

TonyD

Reaction score
ahhhh.. just what I was looking for.. I could not find it all afternoon online. Just ordered a 12x12 x1/8 piece for 6.99. I ordered black so it will match the bezel. Well, got to wait until Sunday now..

Thanks, Skunk!

wavejd

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Thanks to all of those that posted here. I encountered the same problem today on my '91 Tournament 18.5. I took apart the gearbox and sure enough, the gear shaft was mostly stripped. I am a bit puzzled as to what could cause that much damage (see photos). So, a Seastar SH5000P is now on order. That appears to be what was in the boat already. No useful markings on the unit except for a date stamp of 2013. I bought the boat 4 years ago so I don't really know all the history on it. The steering cable itself appears to be OK but I'm tempted to replace it anyway since I one end apart. Other than 'Teleflex', I can't really find any useful length markings on the cable. Does anyone happen to know what the proper length cable would be for a '91 Tournament 18.5?

thanks again, Jim

Attachments

• IMG_3993.JPG
    IMG_3993.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3994.JPG
    IMG_3994.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1