Marlin Height On A Trailer:

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I do not have to pull over to scales.

Here is what I use, and I'm sure you will need the signs. You can get a radar mount that pivots forward, I have one I did not install. I will have an oak leaf or two in the boat from my county road. The major side roads have the limbs trimmed by trucks.
I echo the brakes comment earlier, get electric over hydraulic disk brakes.
My Dodge has 123000 miles so today it is getting new front end work (08 arms, new stearing box, transmission band tightening). This is work to keep the towing safe.
IMG_10102018_112142_(1080_x_566_pixel).jpg

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I do not have to pull over to scales.

Here is what I use, and I'm sure you will need the signs. You can get a radar mount that pivots forward, I have one I did not install. I will have an oak leaf or two in the boat from my county road. The major side roads have the limbs trimmed by trucks.
I echo the brakes comment earlier, get electric over hydraulic disk brakes.
My Dodge has 123000 miles so today it is getting new front end work (08 arms, new stearing box, transmission band tightening). This is work to keep the towing safe.
View attachment 5503
Great looking rig! My 08 Dodge 3500 Cummins has 230,000 still going strong and my daily driver :).

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Great looking rig! My 08 Dodge 3500 Cummins has 230,000 still going strong and my daily driver :).

Hey No Bail:
I continue to thank you and everyone who has contributed. This is indeed a great site to go to.

RE: Pivoting Radar Mount:

I see you have a Furuno open-array setup. I am a bit confused about the pivot mount: Will it work on a 24" Fantom closed Garmin Dome as I have? Have you measured your height with your radar up? I see it's up in the pic.

RE: Requirements:

Yes, as mentioned in my above posts (ramblings) I called DOT & FHP in Fla and I need signs front/rear, flags everywhere; amber flashing lights..It'll qualify as a bona fied Circus Wagon when it's fitted out, but it'll be legal.

And that's just Fla...

I am also pleased to discover that I can get permits for height and mapped out alternative routes in case I come in too tall on the trailer. I was afraid if I did it was a deal breaker, so I'm relieved about that.

RE: Dodge:

Maintenance is the key, as you know. From your side badging, it looks like your truck is an '06, which means you have the 5.9 Cummins.

Island Pilot:

If you have an '08, you have the 6.7 like my 2007. Incredible engines, as your odometer has proven. Mine clocks in at 173,000, no problems.

With the Cummins, that is..the Dodge truck has made me pretty mad during my 11 years of ownership. Expensive things broke that shouldn't have. I keep it because:
1.) It's paid for.
2.) It has the Cummins: best powerplant out there in my opinion.
3.) I just like the truck: The way it drives, feels, looks..It fits me.

Besides a new one is 65-70K. Too far out for me to justify.

Anyway, thanks again for all your input.

Reactions: Meanwhile

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey No Bail:
I continue to thank you and everyone who has contributed. This is indeed a great site to go to.

RE: Pivoting Radar Mount:

I see you have a Furuno open-array setup. I am a bit confused about the pivot mount: Will it work on a 24" Fantom closed Garmin Dome as I have? Have you measured your height with your radar up? I see it's up in the pic.

RE: Requirements:

Yes, as mentioned in my above posts (ramblings) I called DOT & FHP in Fla and I need signs front/rear, flags everywhere; amber flashing lights..It'll qualify as a bona fied Circus Wagon when it's fitted out, but it'll be legal.

And that's just Fla...

I am also pleased to discover that I can get permits for height and mapped out alternative routes in case I come in too tall on the trailer. I was afraid if I did it was a deal breaker, so I'm relieved about that.

RE: Dodge:

Maintenance is the key, as you know. From your side badging, it looks like your truck is an '06, which means you have the 5.9 Cummins.

Island Pilot:

If you have an '08, you have the 6.7 like my 2007. Incredible engines, as your odometer has proven. Mine clocks in at 173,000, no problems.

With the Cummins, that is..the Dodge truck has made me pretty mad during my 11 years of ownership. Expensive things broke that shouldn't have. I keep it because:
1.) It's paid for.
2.) It has the Cummins: best powerplant out there in my opinion.
3.) I just like the truck: The way it drives, feels, looks..It fits me.

Besides a new one is 65-70K. Too far out for me to justify.

Anyway, thanks again for all your input.
Yes it is the 6.7. I actually own 2 of them (08 2wd short bed and an 08 4x4 cab and chassis). Yes stupid little crap has broken, I preferred my ford body and truck, minus the engine... My daily driver is the cab and chassis with the Aisin tranny.... all of the dpf/exhaust regen stuff magically fell off at 100k and I gained 2 mpg and clean oil. I have owned several 5.9s, and as much as I love the 6.7.... the 5.9 is still the love of my life :).

Reactions: Meanwhile

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yes it is the 6.7. I actually own 2 of them (08 2wd short bed and an 08 4x4 cab and chassis). Yes stupid little crap has broken, I preferred my ford body and truck, minus the engine... My daily driver is the cab and chassis with the Aisin tranny.... all of the dpf/exhaust regen stuff magically fell off at 100k and I gained 2 mpg and clean oil. I have owned several 5.9s, and as much as I love the 6.7.... the 5.9 is still the love of my life :).

Those rigs with the 5.9, even back into the late 90's are worth a lot, I hear. If you had a Ford, you probably had the 6.0 if you didn't like the engine. If I had a dollar for every person who told me their 6.0 was a nightmare, I could buy this new trailer outright. I'll bet the Ford exec's went to their meetings with bullet-proof vests on after they built the 6.0. Interesting you got better mileage & clean oil "after 100k." My oil looks 15 years old on the dipstick when it's brand new...

RE: Dodge Troubles:

My guess is they built my '07 and your '08 right in the middle of the economic downturn after '07. They put our trucks together with duct tape and sold them to us.

Thanks again for all your trailer assistance & happy boating in the island chain. No red tide down there, I'm thinking.

Cemba33

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hello all!!

funny I read this before I left key west with my 07 marlin on a bunk trailer towing with 2018 250 Ford super duty 6.2 gas. I have to admit she did great! here’s some info for common knowledge;

key west—> south coast mass

raymarine radar on top . Actually the vhf antenna mount is higher then the radar..

Genny Ac etc

60-80 gal gas in tanks

full 39 gal water tank

twin Yama 250s

fully loaded.Gear , bags ,rods

blew two older tires on 95 west palm area.. was 88 degrees and I swear I had too much airpressure.. called for 65 and at 65 before loading the boat in key west.. definitely RECOMMEND taking off 10 psi on what the tires call for.. they looked like the popped..

Had a 12 ton pump jack. Worked like magic

impact drill 1/2 .zoom zoom

took about 10 mins for each flat. Literally.. so easy.

Stopped at discount tire in palm coast great place! Opened at 8 am and had 2 new spares on the old rims for my trek north. Went with 127$ Goodyear’s ..best one they had.

SC roads are the worst with the bridge joints.. other than NJ and PA.

my height about
13feet about 2-3 inches.

went 95 most of the way till VA. Went around Richmond then 302 up the Maryland and then around PHILLY. And 287 up to the old TAP N ZEE. Down into C

avg speed 60 around 2000 Rpms; 8-9 miles per gallon

did not purchase any permits. Just drove safely. Passed my state troopers.

short story long.. I didn’t hit anything... my understanding was the Chesapeake Bay bridge was my lowest point.. 13.6 they say yet on another form saying 13.4in. God must

FL DOT had a truck pull up behind when changing literally right as it happened!! Wow! He even put cones and gave me a water!! Didn’t ask me for any information. Took my air pressure with his gauge too!

the closest width I was nervous about was the toll both in NJ intoNy maybe 287. Wide load lanes are usually to the right.. anyways it was tight.

I have both sun pass and ez pass

anyways hope this helps someone someday!! Any questions I’ll be happy to answer!
#gradylife

CHEER

Attachments

• 59612FD7-B1A1-4475-8866-888C934C87FC.jpeg
    59612FD7-B1A1-4475-8866-888C934C87FC.jpeg
    843.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 43CA3BC7-7053-4387-97E5-B5F6B9AF3241.jpeg
    43CA3BC7-7053-4387-97E5-B5F6B9AF3241.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 0680FFD5-6C34-4165-910A-0E015E9C7146.jpeg
    0680FFD5-6C34-4165-910A-0E015E9C7146.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • C97D3EBB-003C-4771-A14E-FE8D75D84763.jpeg
    C97D3EBB-003C-4771-A14E-FE8D75D84763.jpeg
    601.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 978CC274-C281-45DF-8E7D-B44EBF1844B3.jpeg
    978CC274-C281-45DF-8E7D-B44EBF1844B3.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 34E27AA0-8F61-4EED-A599-052C001AFAC4.jpeg
    34E27AA0-8F61-4EED-A599-052C001AFAC4.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • F75527C1-A718-4E5C-AAC3-A9C57B4FBDB6.jpeg
    F75527C1-A718-4E5C-AAC3-A9C57B4FBDB6.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 12

Cemba33

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hello all!!

funny I read this before I left key west with my 07 marlin on a bunk trailer towing with 2018 250 Ford super duty 6.2 gas. I have to admit she did great! here’s some info for common knowledge;

raymarine radar on top . Actually the vhf antenna mount is higher then the radar..

Genny Ac etc

60-80 gal gas in tanks

full 39 gal water tank

twin Yama 250s

blew two older tires on 95 west palm area.. was 88 degrees and I swear I had too much airpressure.. called for 65 and at 65 before loading the boat in key west.. definitely RECOMMEND taking off 10 psi on what the tires call for.. they looked like the popped..

Stopped at discount tire in palm coast great place! Opened at 8 am and had 2 new spares on the old rims for my trek north. Went with 127$ Goodyear’s ..best one they had.

my height about
13feet about 2-3 inches.

went 95 most of the way till VA. Went around Richmond then 302 up the Maryland and then around PHILLY. And 287 up to the old TAP N ZEE. Down into C

short story long.. I didn’t hit anything... my understanding was the Chesapeake Bay bridge was my lowest point.. 13.6 they say yet on another form saying 13.4in. God must

FL DOT had a truck pull up behind when changing literally right as it happened!! Wow! He even put cones and gave me a water!! Didn’t ask me for any information. Took my air pressure with his gauge too!

the closest width I was nervous about was the toll both in NJ intoNy maybe 287. Wide load lanes are usually to the right.. anyways it was tight.

anyways hope this helps someone someday!! Any questions I’ll be happy to answer!
#gradylife

CHEER

my trailer is 2014 magic jack tri axle 15k max cap

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Cemba33:

Neat recap; glad it worked out well for you.

My run from Fla to Michigan and back last summer was a success as well, but I don't plan on doing it again. Without going into detail, it was more trouble than it was worth, even though nothing went wrong.

One more shout-out to Dennis, Island Pilot & No Bail for their help & advice.

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hello all!!

Genny Ac etc

60-80 gal gas in tanks

full 39 gal water tank

twin Yama 250s

my height about
13feet about 2-3 inches.

#gradylife

CHEER
Man that’s awesome, great info BTW! I was remissed in my research before buying my boat, I purchased my boat 600 miles from me and pulled it 600 miles to my house without permits, stayed in the right lane 60mph, CHP passing me, waving at me, then come to find out at the marina my neighbor asked how much the permits were and I said, umm what? Jesus!! I hope I don’t get a ticket in the mail..

Lsquared

Reaction score
True: This thing will be more than obvious..I'll have my paperwork in order.

Does anyone know if there is a permit to be had for being over 13' 6"? I don't plan on being, but I'd like to know all my options. Maybe there's a permit for being over height that includes alternative routes??
there is, but then you need a lead car with an antenna. this is most cumbersome as you have to plan your alternate routes. and each state is different. As for pulling, I tow a 282. I had a 2000 F250 which pulled it nicely. then i got a 2018 Ram 2500 and what a world of difference. if you are gonna tow that boat get a newer 3500 dually for sure.

there is a company that will get all your route permits. https://www.kellerpermits.com/

Lsquared

Reaction score
Man that’s awesome, great info BTW! I was remissed in my research before buying my boat, I purchased my boat 600 miles from me and pulled it 600 miles to my house without permits, stayed in the right lane 60mph, CHP passing me, waving at me, then come to find out at the marina my neighbor asked how much the permits were and I said, umm what? Jesus!! I hope I don’t get a ticket in the mail..
they can actually impound your vehicle until you either get the proper permits or have some professional towing company with the proper permits come get it.

Viking88rd

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Some may think I've went off the deep end here:

I would like feedback from folks on here that have trailered Marlins. My 2018 300 Marlin has a bridge clearance of 9' 9" w/hardtop. Obviously, these numbers do not represent height on a trailer.

Can the Marlin come in under 13' 6" on a trailer? I have a Garmin radar dome that's easily removable. I vaguely remember reading posts on here from people that have trailered Marlins. I realize they are few in number, but I thought I'd at least ask.

I have a feeling the difference will come down down to a matter of inches. I would appreciate any input from folks that have achieved this, know of someone who has, or has knowledge of whether it can be done. I can get permits for the wide beam. It's the height I'm concerned with.
We just bought an 07 Marlin and had it commercially hauled from CT to Maine. The radar dome and mount had to come down to stay with legal over the road limits.

Viking88rd

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Some may think I've went off the deep end here:

I would like feedback from folks on here that have trailered Marlins. My 2018 300 Marlin has a bridge clearance of 9' 9" w/hardtop. Obviously, these numbers do not represent height on a trailer.

Can the Marlin come in under 13' 6" on a trailer? I have a Garmin radar dome that's easily removable. I vaguely remember reading posts on here from people that have trailered Marlins. I realize they are few in number, but I thought I'd at least ask.

I have a feeling the difference will come down down to a matter of inches. I would appreciate any input from folks that have achieved this, know of someone who has, or has knowledge of whether it can be done. I can get permits for the wide beam. It's the height I'm concerned with.
We purchased an 07 last fall and had it commercially hauled from CT to Maine. The radar dome & associated pillar had to be removed to stay under the legal limit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200401-110659_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200401-110659_Gallery.jpg
    623.3 KB · Views: 6

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
I pulled permits for a trip to Hattaras a couple of years ago and fully disclosed 14'6" height. Got routed through a 13'6" restricted tunnel. Lucky I knew about the tunnel and how to go around...

Salmondogs

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I know a lot of people that tow without permits and never get hassled. If your not a professional hauler it's usually more hassle for the cops to try and ticket you than its worth for them. I'll permit if I ever decide to go out of state towing but that's only because I have a CDL and if I did get stopped they'd have a field day with me. Back when I was doing interstate hauling of large boats I was actually politely asked by a scale master in Idaho to skip the scales. He told me that even the largest trailered boats don't come anywhere close to axle limits so I was just clogging up his scale lol.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yeah, my sig. other went thru an incredible Sea Of Bureaucracy to acquire permits for every state between Fla & Michigan. Each one had different requirements and I can't remember how many Ben Franklins I handed over to get 'em.

Never got stopped once.

I had flags, OVERSIZE LOAD signage, flashing amber's; the works. It looked like a circus wagon, but I made sure I was legal. My main concern was:

1.) Citations for lack of permits
2.) If I stacked it, I was scared my insurance wouldn't cover me or the other vehicle.

This and many other reasons made me decide to not do it again. It was waay more hassle than fun although, as mentioned it went off without a hitch. I was grateful for that.

Reactions: Salmondogs