NE Canyon run w/ gas bladder planning

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
You could probably also stop at either the vinyard or nantucket and top off with fuel too. We have a long run out from CT, but will top off fuel in montauk on our way out and back.

Yes, that would save me about 50g in/out. Would likely stop in Menemsha on MV to fuel up.

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
ATLANTIC HALIBUT!!!!....I am not worthy....:oops:

Dunno if you've done overnight canyon trips on other boats. That experience helps.
For me, doing canyon trips on MY boat is the culmination of 50 years of fishing. Starting with bluegills in a pond, canoes, tin boat, head boats, friends boats, 20 footer, to my 265.
Be prepared, learn what weather pattern works for your area, pick your perfect days (work and life schedule be damned) and go for it.

and remember...you will never run out of gas AT the canyon.... you will run out 5 miles short of the inlet...so stop in Edgartown for a beer...:p

The halibut was a complete surprise as I though I had a small tuna on the spin gear. Once in a life time catch. Caught it on a basic 16oz diamond jig. I had a boat growing up on long island then had a break of 25 years until my next boat. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to boating and fishing. To me learning is the joy of the sport. Its only February but can't wait to get back out on the water.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Cape, do you have room to install a secondary tank? You could still use a manual/3-way fuel selector valve, but you could also have it wired with a switch at the helm to flip back and forth between tanks electrically. Take a look at Moeller's website - you might find an off-the-shelf sized plastic tank that would work. Plastic means less worry about corrosion and such - and easier mounting. Another option would be to have an aluminum tank made to your dimensions. I'm not sure what a good fuel bag will cost, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bag was more than a hard tank.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but where did you catch the halibut? I'm in Falmouth and would love to try for them.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yup, that's about the odds of getting one! Having a location does mean at least one has been there - doesn't hurt to give it a shot.

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Not to hijack the thread, but where did you catch the halibut? I'm in Falmouth and would love to try for them.

I caught it a bit north and east of Regal Sword in 260-270ft. Caught it on a Hogy 16oz diamond jig w/ teaser. I heard of one caught near crab ledge a year or so back. Good luck in your quest!

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
wherever it was you could probably fish there every day for 50 years and not catch another halibut...

It was a once in a lifetime catch and certainly the fishing gods blessed me and the crew that day.

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Cape, do you have room to install a secondary tank? You could still use a manual/3-way fuel selector valve, but you could also have it wired with a switch at the helm to flip back and forth between tanks electrically. Take a look at Moeller's website - you might find an off-the-shelf sized plastic tank that would work. Plastic means less worry about corrosion and such - and easier mounting. Another option would be to have an aluminum tank made to your dimensions. I'm not sure what a good fuel bag will cost, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bag was more than a hard tank.

I actually might have one spot on the port side where I could install an additional tank out of the way. A really good point to go w/ an internal tank. Will investigate! Thanks!

Reactions: SkunkBoat

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
trips from new jersey to the canyons were few and far between, but did see the rare large center console with a 55 gal blue drum strapped to the transom. assumed it was gas. the idea of a pillow bladder with gas in the cockpit seems scary to me.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
trips from new jersey to the canyons were few and far between, but did see the rare large center console with a 55 gal blue drum strapped to the transom. assumed it was gas. the idea of a pillow bladder with gas in the cockpit seems scary to me.
While these aren't commonplace to see (depending on the area you're in), they are a tried and true method of transporting gas... a heck of a lot safer than a plastic oil drum, for sure! Remember, just because it's "different" than what you're used to, doesn't mean it's bad :)

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer

The blue drums are usually illegal and the bladder is legal. Commercial guys will use drums for diesel but they can try to fine you if you get a real red ass.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
well that settles that. no bladder and no barrel, soo...
300 gallon of tank, prob cant put more than 280 in and cant burn last 20, that leaves 260 to use. never want to be less than half, that leaves 130 to use at 0.83 gallon per mile trimmed to perfection. usable range of about 150 miles. what i do not know is how much oil (2 stroke) i burn per mile. the bahamas are calling!

Lucky13

Reaction score
first that's plenty of boat to make that run, I used to take my 265 from nantucket to the edge all the time. currently have a 33 express and i hold 350glns. This past season I ran a bladder and it was great, total peace of mind on fuel. I ran fuel line from the filters out the portside lower rod holder to a valve system. Had a valve for each fuel line that reduced down to one fitting that connected to the fuel line that went to the bladder. On the run out we burn right from the bladder. There are some fumes that vent out of the bladder so if you have guys on your crew that smoke I would not allow it while you are on the way out. I used a100gln ATL bladder and would put about 80 glns in it. When it was almost dry I would shut the valves off and turn the boat tanks back on to make a little room in the boat tanks. When you arrive at the edge simply pick the bladder up and pour the little bit that is left right into the tanks. Takes no time to transfer what is left and even if it is rough its fine. Wash bladder and deck with soap and water to make sure everything is gone from the fumes then roll the bladder up and strap it down to the roof or on the bow. You are now starting on the edge with full tanks and have the ability to move from canyon to canyon if needed.

Enjoy there is nothing like an overnight trip on the edge.

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
first that's plenty of boat to make that run, I used to take my 265 from nantucket to the edge all the time. currently have a 33 express and i hold 350glns. This past season I ran a bladder and it was great, total peace of mind on fuel. I ran fuel line from the filters out the portside lower rod holder to a valve system. Had a valve for each fuel line that reduced down to one fitting that connected to the fuel line that went to the bladder. On the run out we burn right from the bladder. There are some fumes that vent out of the bladder so if you have guys on your crew that smoke I would not allow it while you are on the way out. I used a100gln ATL bladder and would put about 80 glns in it. When it was almost dry I would shut the valves off and turn the boat tanks back on to make a little room in the boat tanks. When you arrive at the edge simply pick the bladder up and pour the little bit that is left right into the tanks. Takes no time to transfer what is left and even if it is rough its fine. Wash bladder and deck with soap and water to make sure everything is gone from the fumes then roll the bladder up and strap it down to the roof or on the bow. You are now starting on the edge with full tanks and have the ability to move from canyon to canyon if needed.

Enjoy there is nothing like an overnight trip on the edge.

Thanks Lucky13! It is clear that if you follow the precautions then running a gas bladder can be safe. I likely won't initially be running out to the canyons more than 1-2x a season. So, I am thinking about going with the ATL 100g and purchasing a fill-rite pump vs direct connect. IF I end up hooked on making the run out then I will likely then move to a more direct connect setup. I think w/ the 100g I will have plenty of reserve from my calculations. Do you foresee any significant show stopper issues going w/ the bladder /pump combo? I know its not preferred but its doable. How big is the bladder when folded up? I was thinking to strap it to the bow.

Lucky13

Reaction score
Thanks Lucky13! It is clear that if you follow the precautions then running a gas bladder can be safe. I likely won't initially be running out to the canyons more than 1-2x a season. So, I am thinking about going with the ATL 100g and purchasing a fill-rite pump vs direct connect. IF I end up hooked on making the run out then I will likely then move to a more direct connect setup. I think w/ the 100g I will have plenty of reserve from my calculations. Do you foresee any significant show stopper issues going w/ the bladder /pump combo? I know its not preferred but its doable. How big is the bladder when folded up? I was thinking to strap it to the bow.
I would not go with the pump. direct connect is actually safer. It is also extremely easy to set up. when you are dealing with the pump it take a very long time to transfer the fuel and if it is rough out it can be a total nightmare. Also figure this method will cost you at least an hr of fishing time but most likely more. I did it this way a few times on buddys boats and I would never do it again. Once folded up and put bag in the bag the bladder is smaller than a tuna bag. I put mine on the roof right in front of the life raft and just strap it down you can leave it there or throw it back in the cockpit for the ride home in its bag.

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I would not go with the pump. direct connect is actually safer. It is also extremely easy to set up. when you are dealing with the pump it take a very long time to transfer the fuel and if it is rough out it can be a total nightmare. Also figure this method will cost you at least an hr of fishing time but most likely more. I did it this way a few times on buddys boats and I would never do it again. Once folded up and put bag in the bag the bladder is smaller than a tuna bag. I put mine on the roof right in front of the life raft and just strap it down you can leave it there or throw it back in the cockpit for the ride home in its bag.

Thanks for the insight on the pump vs direct feed. I've read that it can be a nightmare w/ the pump. So, how did you go about actually installing the direct connect capability? Did you do it yourself or have someone do it? I am pretty handy, but have not done any fuel system work.

Lucky13

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight on the pump vs direct feed. I've read that it can be a nightmare w/ the pump. So, how did you go about actually installing the direct connect capability? Did you do it yourself or have someone do it? I am pretty handy, but have not done any fuel system work.
did it myself it is not that hard at all esp if you are handy. Where are you located on the cape? Happy to help how I can if you want to come see mine or have me walk you thru it?

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
did it myself it is not that hard at all esp if you are handy. Where are you located on the cape? Happy to help how I can if you want to come see mine or have me walk you thru it?

I have a home in West Yarmouth. I would really appreciate stopping over to see your setup and get pointers from you. Thank you! I am not on Cape until early June and can connect w/ you directly to schedule a time.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How do you keep a 100 gallon bladder secure if the weather turns bad? Thinking of doing similar on a smaller scale in the 228.