NJ fishing reports

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Some news for all you flukers out there. The guy who docks next to me was fluking at Shrewsbury Rocks, saw bunker getting busted, threw a popper and landed a 61" bluefin an hour later

Last edited:

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great pics, how do you like the zukes? I am considering a repower on my 282 with 300s
Great report and good job with the extra effort on the way in. I can reach the Haskell area on my brother's 24 Regulator but it's a long day trip out of Highlands at 24kts cruise and I don't have the range to safely make it to the Hudson.
We usually make a couple offshore runs to the AP/ CC every year but Rona put a damper on this season. The plan is to upgrade the Reg this winter to a new 336 Canyon for next season so hopefully we'll see you out there soon.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Some news for all you flukers out there. The guy who docks next to me was fluking at Shrewsbury Rocks, saw bunker getting busted, threw a popper and landed a 61" bluefin and hour later
Wow, really early for the BF to be in that close and that must have been a blast. I usually snag and keep one out while trying for fluke and sea bass at the rocks or highlands reef but so far just blues and a stray bass here and there.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
A fluke is a "summer" flounder. It is a left-eye flounder with a big mouth and teeth. The center of NJ coast is the southern edge of "winter" flounder. They are right-eye flounder with a small toothless mouth. So north of Barnegat Inlet the flounder we catch in the summer are called fluke and in winter they are just flounder. South of Barnegat NJ the fluke are just called flounder because they don't have winter flounder...

Reactions: amamola

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
We overnighted at the Hudson Canyon where we lost a yft at the boat and boated another. On the way in we hit the the hot yellowfin bite near the Haskell wreck. Boated two nice yellowfins there. Chunking butterfish with 40# leader and a tiny circle hook was the ticket.
Nice day turned ugly halfway back to port. I feel sorry for the center consoles....

Super! Thanks for the video. Neighbor boat could use a lesson in cooperation.

Reactions: JerseySure

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just watched the vid myself.

No wonder you don't allow coolers in the cockpit; I've never seen so much gear, rods, buckets, & supplies on one boat. I would recommend a 330 if you hadn't worked so hard to get your 200's dialed in to your 265. And then there's the fuel burn on the bigger boat. Never mind...

I think it's neat that your all in. I don't understand any of it, but I enjoy following along and can appreciate the "No Holds Barred, Get Outta The Way" approach. Besides, there's no Covid that far out....

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
No wonder you don't allow coolers in the cockpit; I've never seen so much gear, rods, buckets, & supplies on one boat. I would recommend a 330 if you hadn't worked so hard to get your 200's dialed in to your 265. And then there's the fuel burn on the bigger boat. Never mind...
My brother wanted to bring the cooler so we could carry more ice. I said absolutely no way. we had 200 pounds of ice. Brought the chair because on overnights it is nice to relax in a deck chair...but it was in the way. And there was a box of bait that we were cutting as we go. It should have been all chunked up in buckets before we left the dock.

Iceman2010

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
First time tuna fishing, first time offshore , first long trip on my new sailfish, awesome fishing with my son and dad, three generations fishing. Does not get any better, plus we put two YFT into the boat!

Attachments

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Haven't been fishing in a couple weeks. Did some "Boating" with the ladies a few times.

Fluking was on fire last week. Buddy got limits on his boat. YFT was still hot. Dock neighbor got 22 big YFT on poppers.
This week is a blowout with seas 4 to 7ft.

Hoping for a couple mahi mahi trips and an overnight for swordfish in October. Then settle in on striped bass in November.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Crazy out west Skunk,

White ash was falling down from the sky yesterday from the wildfires raging on.

I haven't been fishing in weeks, the air quality index has been off the charts bad.

What an insane year....

amamola

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Was wondering why we haven’t seen any fishing updates from you!

Ocean has been a mess. Took my family to IBSP Saturday evening for some surf fishing and couldn’t believe what I saw. Surf was a mess, waves were breaking all over the place, and really ripping. Had it all to ourselves which was nice.

I went out on the boat Sunday in the bay. Caught a bunch of junk fish but had a nice fish on but lost it when transitioning the pole to my daughter. Whatever it was gave my bucktail a good haircut and it looks pretty bare now.

Do Stripers not run until November? I was thinking October. Do you ever go for Sea Bass? How close do they come in?

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
Haven't been fishing in a couple weeks. Did some "Boating" with the ladies a few times.

Fluking was on fire last week. Buddy got limits on his boat. YFT was still hot. Dock neighbor got 22 big YFT on poppers.
This week is a blowout with seas 4 to 7ft.

Hoping for a couple mahi mahi trips and an overnight for swordfish in October. Then settle in on striped bass in November.
I heard the Triple Wrecks for YFT have been on fire.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Was wondering why we haven’t seen any fishing updates from you!

Ocean has been a mess. Took my family to IBSP Saturday evening for some surf fishing and couldn’t believe what I saw. Surf was a mess, waves were breaking all over the place, and really ripping. Had it all to ourselves which was nice.

I went out on the boat Sunday in the bay. Caught a bunch of junk fish but had a nice fish on but lost it when transitioning the pole to my daughter. Whatever it was gave my bucktail a good haircut and it looks pretty bare now.

Do Stripers not run until November? I was thinking October. Do you ever go for Sea Bass? How close do they come in?
One reason I keep this same post going is so I can look back at dates and see where I was and what was biting...Take a look back....

Stripers (bigger ones not the shorts that are around now) will start mid Oct but not really get going until Nov.
Black sea bass is closed right now
Black Sea Bass
10 fish at 12.5 inches May 15 – June 22
2 fish at 12.5 inches July 1 – August 31
10 fish at 12.5 inches Oct. 8—Oct. 31
15 fish at 13 inches Nov. 1—Dec. 31
There will be some "just keeper/just under" size in large numbers at the inshore reef sites. Bigger ones will usually be out in 100-120 ft in late Oct/Nov. I'll look for them out at Shark River Reef and the Resor wreck
This was a Nov trip to Shark River Reef a few years back..
fish Nov 2015-Mark seabass2.jpeg
fish nov 2015-dock1.jpeg

Reactions: Jargon