NJ fishing reports

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice....4in swim shads???

Thought I was getting small ones in the Barnegat Bay (18-26in) was because of the size of the lure. Caught another 3 this weekend fishing for just an hour but all small so was going to upgrade to the 6in size

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
Nice....4in swim shads???

Thought I was getting small ones in the Barnegat Bay (18-26in) was because of the size of the lure. Caught another 3 this weekend fishing for just an hour but all small so was going to upgrade to the 6in size
Thanks, I got it on a shad umbrella rig with 6" chartreuse shads. We were jigging bucktails and casting shads of different colors at first but to no avail, so we started to troll. Got another one 22" on a tube umbrella rig.

TJM

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Winter flounder and small stripers still around the Manto bridge if anyone is interested.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Saw lots of Birds working today in the Barnegat Bay and some fish smashing the surface but never near me even when I tried sneaking up on them.

Caught another striper, first on my SP Minnows...can’t seem to catch one above 26in...Everyone has been 20-26 this year

For those that use SP Minnows, I feel like mine run rather shallow and don’t get more than 2-3ft deep. Is there a trick to get them to drop? I actually had birds bombing my lure while trolling

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
SP minnows are not a deep running lure. They have a small lip. Not really a trolling lure.
You could go to a drail weight and a long leader. Start with 1 oz and go up if its not heavy enough.
We used to do that with Bomber As.
You'll have to find a weight that works at trolling speed or play with speed. Generally stripers like 2-4mph out front but in a shallow bay a little more speed may help

Your are in the bay so you really can't go to a Stretch25 or even a Stretch 15.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’ll test that out, exactly what I was looking for.

West Marine in TR had their fishing stuff at 50% early last year so I stocked up on them after reading how well they work. After trying it out last summer, I realized it was not meant for what I wanted.

That’s the speed I’ve been going at with some luck. Trying to get the hang of it before the Fall.

TJM

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I’ll test that out, exactly what I was looking for.

West Marine in TR had their fishing stuff at 50% early last year so I stocked up on them after reading how well they work. After trying it out last summer, I realized it was not meant for what I wanted.

That’s the speed I’ve been going at with some luck. Trying to get the hang of it before the Fall.
I have been having good luck with Kettle Creeks. The thing I like is you can change the weight of the jig head to get to the depth your looking for. Mostly fishing around the Mantoloking bridge area.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Gonna be be 2 ft or less all week...GET OUT FRONT!!! I'm scheduled to launch Thursday. Giant BFT in the Mud Hole.
Opening day SeaBass Saturday.

Thu
NW winds 5 to 10 kt, becoming SE in the afternoon. Seas 2 ft or less.
Thu Night
SW winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas 2 ft or less.
Fri
W winds around 5 kt, becoming S in the afternoon. Seas 2 ft or less.
Fri Night
SW winds 5 to 10 kt, becoming W after midnight. Seas 2 ft or less.
Sat
NW winds around 5 kt, becoming S in the afternoon. Seas 2 ft or less.
Sat Night

deepwaterdreamer111

Reaction score
Gonna be be 2 ft or less all week...GET OUT FRONT!!! I'm scheduled to launch Thursday. Giant BFT in the Mud Hole.
Opening day SeaBass Saturday.

Thu
NW winds 5 to 10 kt, becoming SE in the afternoon. Seas 2 ft or less.
Thu Night
Fri
W winds around 5 kt, becoming S in the afternoon. Seas 2 ft or less.
Fri Night
SW winds 5 to 10 kt, becoming W after midnight. Seas 2 ft or less.
Sat
NW winds around 5 kt, becoming S in the afternoon. Seas 2 ft or less.
Sat Night
Hey Skunk. How deep for Seabass this time of year? Asking for a friend.lol,

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don’t think I’ll be making it out front for a while. My little guy is obsessed with the boat this year and always wants to go on. I’m not comfortable taking him as a 4 year old out there yet. No issue with my 7 yr old daughter...

Anybody take young ones out?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
did some seabass scouting on thursday evening. tried Mohawk wreck 1 keeper size-2 short & not much life and Sea Girt reef wrecks & rocks...nothing

We're heading for deeper water (90-120) at Shark River reef on opening day Saturday

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Saturday 5/15 - Got out early ...18 miles to Shark River reef for opening day Black Sea Bass. Found best bite on top of rock piles 90-105 ft. Limited out 4 guys- 40 fish before 11 am. Then went to the Arundo and caught 60 ling (red hake). Bite was on CLAM.

Sunday- later start- went to same place and limited out 3 guys 30 fish before noon...Bite was on CLAM. Went home early.

NTVcFthl.jpg

qyKkWcll.jpg

Reactions: Stephnic

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wish I was prepared for sea bass today....Went out in the bay yesterday and was ridiculously windy and choppy so I just assumed that the wind would continue based on windy...NOPE!

Hit the bay, saw it was flat and then went into the ocean but with nothing but lures. Tried for stripers and blues, lots of bait but nothing was hitting...

Did anyone have any luck outside of Sea Bass? Saw a bunch of Gradys trolling by IBSP.

On a side note, ocean was flat today but there were some big rollers coming in the inlet. Do you guys just slow down when heading into them? On the way in I just rode them in so it was easy but my daughter got a little scared on the way out....even at 10-15mph or so, we kind of slammed a bit