NJ fishing reports

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
Glad you decided not to go today, looking out the window the ocean looks pretty angry right now so I'm sure there's a few out there paying the price.
We ran through little Italy on the way in. There were a few boats on that lump 3 miles SE of humpty. We marked pretty good so put the spread out but not happening. Trolled to humpty proper and no boats or marks so that was it.
And yes, the south wind picked up at the end of the day so had to work the throttle to maintain 25 to 30 without stuffing it.

Last edited:

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm jealous! We have never caught a cobia on my boat up here. I'm surprised she could hold it. they usually go insane.

Yep, took her 3 tries to lift it before she grabbed the damp towel to get a better grip. You can see the determination in her face!

That tail whip is insane, I got a sharp pain in my shoulder as I wasn’t expecting it and felt like it pulled my shoulder right out when unhooking it.

Cool fish though….nothing like making memories on a Grady

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
We ran out to near the AP Monday evening. Got there a little bit before 5pm. Our dock buddy had just lost a big yft at "color" after an hour fight .

We had lots of bait on bottom. A thousand Dolphins came in and pushed bait up. We hooked up on a Hogy jig on the bottom. Big fish, screaming for the surface then back at us fast then away from us fast, up high a couple hundred feet out...then the thousand dolphins swam between us and the fish ..lost the fish, the jig, the wind-on leader and 100 feet of line and our pride.
That was our only bite.
The Kraken charter boat trolled past while we were hooked up and boated one, then boated another about 15 minutes later

Our dock buddy boated a 40# yft on a chunk just before sunset.

An unusually calm and beautiful LONG ride home in twilight at 36 mph made the lost fish less painful.

jcdubs58

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
what site was the forecast from looking to go outside tomorrow and fishweather has 2at 4 sec

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
what site was the forecast from looking to go outside tomorrow and fishweather has 2at 4 sec
it was NWS. The 2ft or less at 4 sec was more like 2-3 ft at 4 sec chop on top of a 3 ft swell.. there was no "or less"...and the 4 sec was not pleasant. Wind was SSE at 10 -15 kts not 5-10
Thats one of those forecasts that you have to try. It might pan out it might not.

I had a young kid and women onboard.
We went out the inlet and turned around.
Was it fishable for my brother and I...Yes. but not a pleasant two feet or less day...

based on forecast we actually had plans (dreams) to come in by noon, drop off passengers and turn around for a tuna trip and maybe chunk overnight.

NWS Forecast tomorrow is another one that might be good in the early morning but maybe its an annoying 2 ft chop
If it was a NW or West wind I'd be all over it.

Wed
SE winds 5 to 10 kt, increasing to 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt in the afternoon. Seas 2 ft or less. Swell mainly from the SE with a dominant period of 4 seconds.
Wed Night
S winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas around 3 ft. A chance of tstms after midnight. Swell mainly from the SE with a dominant period of 7 seconds.

jcdubs58

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
you re right we do the same im no hero with the ocean thanks

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Had an enjoyable morning trip friday ..even with the drizzle. We had to be back in by 11 am due to work.
Got to Manasquan Ridge (only 7 miles!) at sunrise and hooked up a 28" bluefin before we got 3 lines out.

After that it was a lot of false albacore aka bonita aka little tunny. At 930 we switched to bottom fishing a rough spot near the ridge. Covered in nice black seabass and short fluke. got our limit of keeper seabass easily and managed 2 keeper fluke. Also got some mackeral on jigs and two nice BONITO on flat lined chunks. Saw some mahi jumping but the never came to our chunks.

of course, the false albies were made into strip baits

239767846_2988013678186888_531626407589261948_n.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: B_Darling

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
We were overdue for a great trip and this was it. YFT at Princess and Chicken Canyon. Mahi to 22 pounds on pots in Chicken and out to Hudson.... also Golden tilefish

O6RWBPah.jpg

vkfY4Vjh.jpg

TunaMahiTile_2021_32.jpeg
TunaMahiTile_2021_31.jpeg

Last edited:

jcdubs58

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
awesome would love to get on some mahi looking to head out tomorrow

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
also got two keeper dock stripers on sushi chunks while cleaning fish!

at 3:30 am when we were leaving I caught a dozen shorts...1- 2 pound fish... on a jig. They were blasting bait. Manasquan River is loaded!

1630027455984.png

Reactions: B_Darling

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Took an afternoon run up to Ambrose light looking for that big bluefin bite off Rockaway. Got a mess of live bunker in the throw net on Deal beach on the way up. Three boats hooked up near us. We saw one big(probably too big) bluefin boated. No Bites

1632189851608.png
Ambrose_2021-09-20 at 9.25.25 PM.jpeg

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Black Sea Bass reopened today. We got a 4 man limit of 40 at Shark RIver Reef, on tops of the rockpiles. Clam caught/fed the bergals. Bergal fillets were the hot bait for the seabass.

HxJV5qcl.jpg
Wow; look at that tidal current on those bridge abutments in the background.

We would get those currents in the cuts between the Keys, but nothing like that around Ft Myers.

What's your tidal range there?

Forgive me for not talking about fish-I'm just curious.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Wow; look at that tidal current on those bridge abutments in the background.

We would get those currents in the cuts between the Keys, but nothing like that around Ft Myers.

What's your tidal range there?

Forgive me for not talking about fish-I'm just curious.
4.5 to 5 ft. It can be crazy fast on a full or new moon. Docking is not for beginners.

Reactions: magicalbill