outrigger questions

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Just found an incredible deal on a set of marsh tacky 15ft poles. Not going to say where or how much..... ;) base options with a hard top and no mounting plates welded in. What are my options?..... Its very confusing.
I would love to drop 5k on welded mounting brackets and quality bases just can't justify spending the $$ something that will only likely use a handful of times a year. Been looking at gunnel mounts or even the rod holder style mounts. I wont be running heavy dredges. Likely wide trackers, spreader bars and daisy chains.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Now that i bought them.... Scored a nice set of Marsh Tacky 15ft carbon fiber riggers. Paid $300 Just need to figure out how to mount them. :)

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The hardtops are cored and may not support the weight/leverage of the rigger. Here is a photo of my rigger base mount on the hardtop. Underneath the aft end has cracks. Up top the forward edge is cracking. I currently have the hardtop off the boat. I opened up the underside and installed a 8" x 12" piece of Coosa board out to the hardtop piping. I plan to weld in backing plates.

Rigger Base 3.jpeg Rigger Base Repair.jpeg

Reactions: Chessie246G

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
The hardtops are cored and may not support the weight/leverage of the rigger. Here is a photo of my rigger base mount on the hardtop. Underneath the aft end has cracks. Up top the forward edge is cracking. I currently have the hardtop off the boat. I opened up the underside and installed a 8" x 12" piece of Coosa board out to the hardtop piping. I plan to weld in backing plates.

View attachment 26097 View attachment 26098
That's what I was looking for. Hmmm... I guess this is going to cost me more than I had hoped...... Boat Life!!! :p

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score

View attachment 26097 View attachment 26098
Curious, how long are your poles? How long have you had them and do you run with them extending while on plane? I ask because I have aluminum 15 foot Tacos and their junior mounts. I have them installed with backing plates and no cracks. I have had them now for 6-7 years. . I don't run on plane with them extended. I also mounted them closer the corner than you did as you get some stiffness from both edges coming together there in regards to twisting and such.

i want to get carbon poles mainly because they are lighter and the ladies dig them! .

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Curious, how long are your poles? How long have you had them and do you run with them extending while on plane? I ask because I have aluminum 15 foot Tacos and their junior mounts. I have them installed with backing plates and no cracks. I have had them now for 6-7 years. . I don't run on plane with them extended. I also mounted them closer the corner than you did as you get some stiffness from both edges coming together there in regards to twisting and such.

i want to get carbon poles mainly because they are lighter and the ladies dig them! .
Couldn't pass up the carbon fiber poles. The guy I bought them from upgraded to the internal rigged versions $$$$$$$$ Now you have me curious. I'm guessing these things don't weight 3lbs each.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

Mine were installed by the previous owner just before I bought the boat in October 2007. Frequently there are no riggers on the boat. In Florida I use them more and do in fact run with them extended. Aluminum riggers probably Taco 15's.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Getting ready to mount some Taco GS280's on the hardtop, close to the back, like Smoky mentioned. They will have a backing plate on them tucked between the top and rail since I have to trim the plates to fit. They won't be extended while running, so I don't see any adverse effects from this mounting.

IMG_2003.JPGIMG_2002.JPG

Reactions: Chessie246G

Fishtales

Reaction score

Fishtales

Reaction score

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Started my install. Hardtop is only 1/4" thick. Will be using the inserts for all bolts along with a backing plate underneath. Will seal the core with epoxy before mounting the outrigger base. This was a trial fit on starboard side. Picked up machine screws, nylon washers and nylock nuts to mount them.

20220616_210947.jpg20220616_210939.jpg20220616_211017.jpg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The epoxy fill is important. The hardtop is soft. But it's best to get some aluminum underneath. Even if its a bolt thru to the tower.

Rigger Base Repair.jpeg

Last edited: