Pulling the trigger on a pilot house on the 228

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Looks great. You could paint it any color and it would look super sharp.
I'm gonna try and match the hull. I may live to regret that but I don't have a plan for a different color. Gary is planning on white for his, JJMag did sort of a gray/blue thing. You're right, any color is fine, I'm weird and would like Grady almond.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Beginnings of the pilot house. The 3rd picture is my fave, I'm pretty happy with how that turned out. Charlie wanted to tilt the roof down in the front, I didn't. A buddy got one, also on a 228, and his roof is 7 inches lower in the front. It's a different look. I wanted mine higher so I can get boxes under the roof but still high enough that if the boat pounds and I swing forward, I don't wack my head on them (I'm 6'2" in bare feet, being tall might be great with the ladies but it can suck too).View attachment 32376View attachment 32377View attachment 32378View attachment 32379
I also honestly prefer where the front windshields tilt forwards as it gives you more room for us taller guys and that you don't hit your head. Looks good though, do you have any pictures of your buddy's boat? I'm curious to see what it looks like.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I also honestly prefer where the front windshields tilt forwards as it gives you more room for us taller guys and that you don't hit your head. Looks good though, do you have any pictures of your buddy's boat? I'm curious to see what it looks like.
Look at that 3rd picture in the first series of the pilot house, the one from straight on the side. Push the front edge of the roof down 7 inches.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
3/16"? Nice. Hearing that, I don't think I would worry about the sound mat. The 1/8" panels aren't large enough to warrant the mat. The electronics box might get some odd sounds coming from it and you could always add the mat on the inside later, if you find it's needed. But your guy that's building it probably has some first hand experience to say if it's needed.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Charlie does great work, I saw another 228 with a cabin on it he did. Would you mind letting us know the cost, I have entertained this idea for a few years. Thanks and I look forward to seeing the progress.
I missed this question. So Charlie does just the aluminum. Gary's was around $7500 but he didn't do a radio box. And I want a custom crows nest seat on top. My guess is I'll be $9K to Charlie. Then I need to get windows, I'm guessing $2K-ish, maybe less. Then paint, I suspect that will be spendy, $3-5K.

I predict around $15K. And you can do it cheaper, powder coat is way cheaper, there are cheaper windows, etc. I am on purpose doing the best job I can do, I'm old, I'm worn out, not sure how much longer I can fish but the last thing I want is to be fixing my boat instead of fishing my boat.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
This is an awesome project. Grady white ride with enclosure. I’ve been thinking of doing this exact thing. I’ll post some photos of pilot house Grady’s that I’ve seen over the years on a different thread. FYI- I’m sick of the isenglass on my islander. That aluminum pilot house work looks top notch.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Windscreen fixed, sliders on either side. I'm using Wyne (might have it spelled wrong, they are what Steiger uses).
I think that Wynne does the glass, and Wynn makes marine windshield wipers, so you may end up using both. Did you design the cutouts for existing stock windows, or do you have to go custom?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grady should take a look at what you have done - could be the basis for a new model option - nice job!

Reactions: luckydude

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I think that Wynne does the glass, and Wynn makes marine windshield wipers, so you may end up using both. Did you design the cutouts for existing stock windows, or do you have to go custom?
Custom. Charlie will send them the cad work and they go from there I believe. Sorry I'm not more definite, I'm new to all of this.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm gonna try and match the hull. I may live to regret that but I don't have a plan for a different color. Gary is planning on white for his, JJMag did sort of a gray/blue thing. You're right, any color is fine, I'm weird and would like Grady almond.
To each his own.... Take pics when done. Will be intersting to get reports on ride and stability on the water.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Not to derail this thread but here is a photo of a 226 with a pilot house. This may be by the same fabricator. Either way, this looks pretty sharp and proportional. Matching the Grady color is the way to go. Less glare and eye strain compared to white.

Attachments

• IMG_9127.jpeg
    IMG_9127.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Not to derail this thread but here is a photo of a 226 with a pilot house. This may be by the same fabricator. Either way, this looks pretty sharp and proportional. Matching the Grady color is the way to go. Less glare and eye strain compared to white.
Yep, that's the one I modeled mine after. I think it looks great.

Reactions: Sdfish and efx

Fishtales

Reaction score
curious how she'll ride. did you do any analysis. looks very nice from here.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
curious how she'll ride. did you do any analysis. looks very nice from here.
Well this is the 3rd pilot house on a 228 that I know of in the Bay Area. The other ones are a little lighter than mine, I'm hoping that it is heavier than the hardtop so it pushes the bow down.

In terms of wind resistance I think it will be close to identical to the hardtop.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Where are the wheels for your "walker"? I don't know why, but that's the first thing I thought of when I looked at your crow's nest :)

Just teasing!

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Where are the wheels for your "walker"? I don't know why, but that's the first thing I thought of when I looked at your crow's nest :)

Just teasing!
I've got screwed up feet so you are closer to being right than you think. As it is, I lean hard on a shopping cart :-(

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks like you went from a low seat, with your feet hanging over the windshield, to a taller removable one. If it were me, I would be driving anyway, and someone else would be up there.
Don't know if you see it out there, but on the east coast, a lot of guys will have something like a moon roof, and stand on the console. Either with controls on the 'roof', or drive with their feet.