Pulling the trigger on a pilot house on the 228

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Pilot house fabricator done. Next up is drilling holes to fasten it down, more holes for radar et al on the roof, then paint, then put the electronics in, then wait for windows. Some shots with the top on. Fabricator loves the chair. The pipe with his hand on it is the wire chase, I'm going to route some flex tubing from that into the helm.2024-02-01-14.36.31.jpg2024-02-01-14.36.31a.jpg2024-02-01-14.36.31b.jpg2024-02-01-14.36.31c.jpg2024-02-01-14.36.31d.jpg2024-02-01-14.36.31e.jpg

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Pilot house fabricator done. Next up is drilling holes to fasten it down, more holes for radar et al on the roof, then paint, then put the electronics in, then wait for windows. Some shots with the top on. Fabricator loves the chair. The pipe with his hand on it is the wire chase, I'm going to route some flex tubing from that into the helm.View attachment 32458View attachment 32459View attachment 32460View attachment 32461View attachment 32462View attachment 32463
Looks awesome.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Looks like you went from a low seat, with your feet hanging over the windshield, to a taller removable one. If it were me, I would be driving anyway, and someone else would be up there.
Don't know if you see it out there, but on the east coast, a lot of guys will have something like a moon roof, and stand on the console. Either with controls on the 'roof', or drive with their feet.
Yeah, I'll be 62 when I fish this boat, I want to send someone else up there. But I wanted to build it such that I'd be willing to go up there and I think we have that. I've already decided when I can't climb all over my boat, that's when it is maybe time to hang it up. Or find a younger captain to run my boat.

Reactions: Don Davis

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
whats your overall height on a trailer? are you over 13' 6" now?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
So this is the first time I've been in the pilot house when it is on my boat. Here's what I've learned.

The box is awesome, it's huge, I can mount a 12 inch display on the face of it. And when I am at the helm, I can lean forward and my head does not hit the box. However, and this may be true for the Grady box under the hardtop, if I'm standing in front of the passenger seat, all the way forward, yeah, my head hits the bottom of the box. So don't stand there if you are 6'2"

The chair on top was a great idea, points to me for that one. Charlie wasn't a fan at first but when he got it done, saw how easy it is to put it on the roof and take it off, he said "I should have done this chair every time I built one of these".

The rod holders on the trailing curved edge, I did those wrong. The top one is too horizontal to be useful. I'm thinking about taking it back to Charlie, have him cut the top one off and put it below the bottom one.

The outriggers are gonna be great, there is so much support around them, that worked out perfectly.

The windows. OMG, so much visibility, it's fantastic. That sort of was the point of this project, forget all my nitpicking above, the windows, while they are just cutouts now, they are fantastic. It's a tuna chasing machine now.

People asked about cost, it was $10,800, I tipped Charlie $500, so $11,300. Worth it _to me_. I did OK in tech so I can afford it, I completely understand that a lot of people will find it too spendy. And I'm not done, $1700 of windows, not sure what the paint and fiberglass is gonna be, I'm guessing maybe under $5K. So maybe $18K when I'm done?

Reactions: Sdfish and efx

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
No appologies. You do what YOU want with YOUR money. I don't know if "I" would spend that money on it - but I do think what you ended up with is fantastic and, money aside, I would love to have something like that. Nice job!

My uncle has a similar setup on his lobster boat (Maine)... but he did install an opening window in front of the driver. The whole window opens - it is hinged at the top. I think you mentioned earlier that you were making your front windows solid. But I gotta say, cracking that window open a few inches on a warm day brings a VERY nice breeze through the cockpit. Unless you're absolutely dead set against it - give it another consideration :)

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don't fret about the age thing. I am way older than you and i am able to handle my 228 just fine. You have a long time to go before you get relieved from being skipper.

steve

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That was my thought process for suggesting going with the forward slanting windows of the pilot house in that it would give you more room. I’m 6’2” tall as well and like you, I’ve smacked my head more than once on the underneath side of the electronics box when climbing out of the cabin. I think the pilot house windows slanting forward would’ve likely avoided this but as long as you’re happy then that’s all that matters.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Definitely consider at least some of the windows should be able to open. Whether it be the forward windows or sliders on the side windows. I used to fish a Downeast boat which none of the windows opened. The cabin was unbearable on hot summer days.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Definitely consider at least some of the windows should be able to open. Whether it be the forward windows or sliders on the side windows. I used to fish a Downeast boat which none of the windows opened. The cabin was unbearable on hot summer days.
The sides are sliders.

Reactions: efx