Rhodan on a 226 Seafarer

Koz54

Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to take the plunge and add a Rhodan on my 1999 Seafarer. I fished on a few friend's boats the past two years that have trolling motor anchors and it is truly a game changer.

I did a search here and didn't see anyone that did a Rhodan on a Seafarer. I was hoping to get some experienced advice on shaft length and mounting tips. Looks like I'll probably go with the 36V since I think that I am at the upper limit on the 24V model.

My initial thoughts are the 36V motor with 72" shaft.

Or should I go with the 84" shaft??

Rhodan GPS Anchor

Reactions: Herman quail

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've been thinking of putting a Minn Kota on my 226 because the auto-deploy function would keep me from having to get out on the bow. I haven't yet figured out how to do this while keeping a functional anchor locker. It's also been hard to find a 36V lithium battery system that will fit in the space in the cabin that now holds a porta-potti.

I've been on few big center console boats and a cat that had the 84" Rhodan, but never on a Grady. They are indeed nice. You need the 36V system if you are going to need to set up in strong currents or high winds. The 24V would be fine for lakes. I once rafted up with a 21 ft center console with at 72" 24V system and he towed me around while looking for scallops. But I don't think the 24V system would have enough uumph for offshore.

The guys who have the big bow mounted trolling motors keep telling me that I need a 84" shaft. That makes sense in big seas, but I don't fish that kind of stuff anymore and would use an anchor if I did. I need to do more research.

Let me know what you find out or decide to do.

Koz54

Reaction score
The Minn Kota auto deploy feature would be sweet, but like you said the only way I see that happening (mounting) infringes on the anchor locker. I want to keep that accessible.

I don't fish in very heavy seas on my boat much anymore either. I decided on the 36V. After speaking to someone at Rhodan (who was VERY helpful) they said the 24V unit will hold my boat until about 3 knot current. I fish in current stronger than that sometimes so the 36V it is!

A friend who has a 23 Parker installed a Rhodan last year. He went with the 84" shaft. Again, after speaking to the rep at Rhodan I think 72" will be sufficient for my uses. I fish the ocean occasionally, but I pick and choose my days. Most of my fishing is done in the bays and the LI Sound.

The lithium battery is a tad pricy, and I just don't trust them so I'll go with the Interstate SRM-31 (x3). As far as mounting them I am looking into that now. I can probably fit 2 of them where the porta potty went. I might be able to squeeze the third one in there if I move the removable wall back a few inches.

Option B is I was thinking of removing my forward deck plate to see what is under there. My boat does not haver the auxiliary gas tank so I'm assuming it is open space. I would build a shelf to mount them on and add a hatch if I go that route, but I don't know yet.

Anyway I ordered the Rhodan yesterday. Delivery is about 8 weeks. My boat is ready to splash now. I can do much of the electrical/battery mounting while it in in the slip. I can pull it in July to do the physical install. By then the fluke bite is sporadic and I'll have some vacation time to use.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I used the forward deck plate for storage on my old Seafarer. There was room under there for scuba tanks. I used spring hinges that let the entire panel open up. A hatch would be a better solution for battery access. I don't know how much space is available with your SV2 hull, but I imagine that it would be sufficient for batteries. That would be the best location for batteries on that hull IMO.

I can't get my hands on a Minn Kota to see how I might possibly be able to mount one without losing the anchor locker. Maybe if I removed the bow rails I might be able to mount the motor far enough off-center to keep the anchor hatch available. Maybe I'll get lucky and one of my local dealers will eventually have one in stock long enough to see if it will fit.

Good luck with your installation and keep us informed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koz54

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Subscribing to this thread for future reference. It would be great to keep the boat orientation consistent when deep dropping (even if drifting a little).

Reactions: JJMag

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Doc, check "Out on the Reef" on YouTube. He mounted his just off to the left of the pulpit and I would do the same as he did on my 252G if I ever get up the bravery to go for it. Hoping to see some others out there that are taking or have taken the plunge and see their mounting options.

Reactions: dstarok

Koz54

Reaction score
I helped a friend install a Rhodan on his Parker last year. He mounted just like that, off to the left of the pulpit. The plan is to do the same on my Seafarer

Actually all I did was the machining/welding for some custom stainless fittings to make a section of the rail hinged. One end had a mounted pin, the other was hinged. There was no 'off the shelf' option. His rail tube was larger, the Seafarer rail is 7/8". His was 1-1/8" if I recall??
Capt Jack.PNGrail.jpg

While there is no problem finding a inside eye end, the outside mating piece is not available. I will cut the screw mounting holes off the deck hinge part deck hinge.jpg then turn it down in the lathe.

Then I'll remove the front end of the round inside eye end round inside eye end.jpg ,say the magic words and should end up with a clean nice looking fitting.

This will only be on one end, the other end will be hinged. hinge.jpghinge1.jpg

Koz54

Reaction score
Just when you thought a pricey project couldn't get any pricier, I somehow find a way:rolleyes:. I did some poking around this weekend. Looks like I am going to mount the batteries under the deck. It looked surprisingly clean and mildew free down there! Looks like it stays fairly dry down there too.

That means that now I need a quality hatch. It is a high traffic area so a solid hatch is a must. I found what appears to be a good choice. A custom built one from Boat Outfitters that will run about $300. Boat Outfitters deck hatch

I am crunching the numbers now. Dimensionally that is, apparently I've already lost grasp of my checkbook! Looks like I can get away with a 24" x 14" hatch (internal dimensions shown in red)

As far as mounting the batteries I am thinking of getting a 25" x 16" x 3/4" piece of Starboard and three standoffs of 25" x 1-1/2" x 1-1/2". My idea is to screw mount the standoffs to the inside hull, then mount the 3/4" plate to the stringers. Then of course mount the battery trays onto that. That will make the batteries 2-1/4" off the bottom.

That will cost me about $100 in materials. I really don't want to get involved in making a fiberglass shelf so I think this is the way to go for me.

Deck.jpgDWG.jpg

Looking straight into the existing inspection plate. below deck.jpg

Peeking down toward the gas tank, much cleaner than I thought it would be! gas tank.jpg

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The amazing thing is when I measure back 8' to simulate the length of the Rhodan, holy smokes, that is long! It comes from the bow back to mid cabin!

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have been thinking along the same lines of a GPS anchor and deep dropping with electric reels. Running 5x12v batteries on a Seafarer. Are you needing to top up the charge from shore power or is the motor enough?

Koz54

Reaction score
Have been thinking along the same lines of a GPS anchor and deep dropping with electric reels. Running 5x12v batteries on a Seafarer. Are you needing to top up the charge from shore power or is the motor enough?
I will be charging with shore power

RoyC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi, GW seafarer are small versatile boats, adding a TM further boost its capabilities. Below is how I mounted a Rhodan 36v 72” on my GW 228G. Based on calculations, my 228G hits 6500-6800 pounds fully loaded, so went with 36v (up to 15000 pounds) to be safe - and it turns the boat quickly on a dime! Cutting the bow rail is required imo - easy mounting and deployment - and turns out pretty easy with a SS tube cutter. The port side nav light has to be relocated too so it is not blocked by the TM but pretty easy and straight forward

I was not able to find any pictures for 226/228G during my planning phase, hope my setup can serve as a reference and help those who are keen on a TM and retain their anchor winch. .

D96ADCE4-4AA1-4FA3-920F-D5D05C3FCEEF.jpeg
DF229615-CEC6-4DB4-B979-4B4C3CF827ED.jpeg
660B5430-72FD-41A7-A186-15E1703D0486.jpeg

39A2B53F-DE6D-49E0-BF08-5BBAABE1BB6E.jpeg
6267FE71-1BA9-4509-8F1A-D1BAA766AEBF.jpeg

6006A23E-90BD-4355-92D5-21981D9360AA.jpeg

Last edited:

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Hi, GW seafarer are small versatile boats, adding a TM further boost its capabilities. Below is how I mounted a Rhodan 36v 72” on my GW 228G. Based on calculations, my 228G hits 6500-6800 pounds fully loaded, so went with 36v (up to 15000 pounds) to be safe - and it turns the boat quickly on a dime! Cutting the bow rail is required imo - easy mounting and deployment - and turns out pretty easy with a SS tube cutter. I was not able to find any pictures for 226/228G during my planning phase, hope my setup can serve as a reference and help those who are keen on a TM and retain their anchor winch.

Looks good! Any pics of your battery setup?

RoyC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Unfortunately, I did not take photos for that and boat is up on dry stack atm.

Batteries wise, I placed them in the cabin, connected via Ancor AWG6 to a battery tender plug secured in anchor locker. The male portion of the plug was connected to the Rhodan power cable that slotted nicely through the small hole / gap under the anchor cover. Wire was about ~10ft and experienced min voltage loss (-0.2 to -0.3v at battery tender plug), thus I don’t see the need for heavier gauge. Pretty clean and easy install overall.

Pardon my dirty little boat :p

07340DBC-2E4E-4E53-AFA0-B18281C905E4.jpeg

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This was an interesting install on a similar bow arrangement. I guess the shaft slides forward enough before tilting to avoid having to cut the rail. The plywood pattern ended up as 3/8 aluminum plate.

Koz54

Reaction score
That looks fantastic Roy, you do excellent work! Thank you very much for sharing the photos. I REALLY appreciate it!!

Your photos are SO helpful right now. My TM should be shipping next week;). I envision physically mounting it almost identically to what you did. I was thinking of mounting on the starboard side. I like it on the port side, but I was concerned about not being able to access that side of the walk around easily. In my slip I use that side to tie up. Your photos look like it is fairly easy to step over. Now I'm rethinking that.

I just completed the battery installation on mine yesterday! Everything is tested and working. Batteries are centered midship. I mounted the batteries under the deck in the space where the auxiliary gas tank would have gone. The hardest part (mentally) was cutting a BIG hole in my deck. I made a 'table' out of 2" x 3" aluminum tube with a 3/4" thick starboard mounting plate. The job went without and issues and I am happy with how that part came out. The hatch is solid, no spongy feel at all. I will neaten up the wiring and remove the other deck plate (to clean underneath) this week then caulk everything.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 77
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 03a.jpg
    03a.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    843.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 05a.jpg
    05a.jpg
    860.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    627.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Reactions: RoyC

Koz54

Reaction score
a couple more

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    613.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58

Koz54

Reaction score
Roy, would you happen to have a photo of the Rhodan in the stored position without the cover? I'm curious on how intrusive it is into the walk way, and how you mounted the TM stabilizer.