Rhodan on a 226 Seafarer

bazzturd

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
While my trolling motor is no with spotlock it definitely was mounted in the most superior fashion I have seen, in my opinion. I will be order a new version with spot lock soon. Not sure of which manufacturer to go with. Leaning towards Minn Kota for the lower cost replacement parts per the other forums I have read on them.Here are some picstrolling motor 2.jpgtrolling motor 1.jpgtrolling motor 3.5.jpg

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
While my trolling motor is no with spotlock it definitely was mounted in the most superior fashion I have seen, in my opinion. I will be order a new version with spot lock soon. Not sure of which manufacturer to go with. Leaning towards Minn Kota for the lower cost replacement parts per the other forums I have read on them.Here are some picsView attachment 23953View attachment 23954View attachment 23955
Thank you all for sharing your Seafarer TM installs, I'm planning to put one on my 228 and this is all very helpful!
Bazzturd, I like the pulpit install and leaning toward installing mine like that if i can work it out. I noticed you didn't cut your bow rail so do you manually slide it forward in the horizontal position far enough to clear the rail before you move it upright? Is your bow light still OK in its original location or did you need to move it?
Also to anyone with a Seafarer, between the porta-potty and the anchor locker there's a small compartment under the bunk that would be a perfect spot for the battery. My boat is not nearby so had anyone measured that space and hatch opening to determine how big of a battery would fit in there? I've already cut a hatch to access the aux fuel tank compartment so that would be my second choice but it would be great if I could fit a smaller 36v Lithium up there.
I will connect the trolling battery to my charging system (aux and solar) but I keep my boat on the trailer so I'll likely need to remove the battery periodically for charging. I'm willing to sacrifice battery capacity for fit and portability but I'm wondering how many AH I need for 5 hours of spot lock fishing in average conditions. Is 60AH enough?
Edit with more info:
I found an onboard charger from Monster Marine called the Quantum 12v to 36v. It'll prioritize charging my starting battery and when it's full it'll charge my 36v TM battery from my alternator but it's isolated so it'll never draw down my starting battery. House batteries are charged from the Aux charging port and both systems are on separate A/B switches with a crossover so I can jump the boat from House in a pinch.
Sorry for the lengthy post, I have a bunch of questions but I'll stop there.

Last edited:

Finest Kind

Reaction score
While my trolling motor is no with spotlock it definitely was mounted in the most superior fashion I have seen, in my opinion. I will be order a new version with spot lock soon. Not sure of which manufacturer to go with. Leaning towards Minn Kota for the lower cost replacement parts per the other forums I have read on them.Here are some picsView attachment 23953View attachment 23954View attachment 23955
No anchor visible in your pic...don't you still need one for emergencies?

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For those of you who installed the 72" shaft on their Seafarer, is it long enough? The next step up on the Minn Kota is 87" which is a lot more expensive and I'm already struggling with how long the 72" is.
I was told the equation is (distance from gunnel to water) + 20" + 5" for ocean use is sufficient. I have not measured mine yet but I've been told it's 30" to the water so on paper 72" shaft would be plenty. Before i pull the trigger I'd appreciate some real world experience from Seafarer owners in moderate ocean conditions.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For those of you who installed the 72" shaft on their Seafarer, is it long enough? The next step up on the Minn Kota is 87" which is a lot more expensive and I'm already struggling with how long the 72" is.
I was told the equation is (distance from gunnel to water) + 20" + 5" for ocean use is sufficient. I have not measured mine yet but I've been told it's 30" to the water so on paper 72" shaft would be plenty. Before i pull the trigger I'd appreciate some real world experience from Seafarer owners in moderate ocean conditions.
Just put 90” Garmin on mine.

Attachments

• IMG_1271.jpeg
    IMG_1271.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just put 90” Garmin on mine.
Thanks Summertop, I was leaning toward the new Minn Kota Terrova Quest for the brushless motor but now I need to consider the Garmin Kraken for the integration with my Garmin electronics. I called Garmin today and they don't offer the GT56 UHD transducer for the 90" yet but I already have the GT54 TM so the next step is probably PanOptics anyway.

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure

A good thread here if you read thru notably location of batteries (2) in the storage compartments under the v-berth cushions. Of course the motor requirements differ for the heavier 228 vs 208 but freeboard/deck /rail/pulpit/gunwale configurations are similar.

Good luck, I have been exploring options/configuration/budget for my boat as well.