Rule 1100 GPH Livewell Pump

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Unfortunately I have a lot of experience with the Rule bait well pumps. The one in your picture is different than the old style I had -20RR which had marking on the top to tell you to push down and turn to remove. You're going to have to remove it from the seacock at which point throw it away!

Replace it with the newer style Rule R47DR bait pump that comes with a 3-year warranty. Old style only has a 1-year warranty.

My previous experience: Have been having major problems with the Rule 20RR and 47DR over the last few years. Broken shafts and motors that stopped working. Rule has been terrific about warranty. This year I went thru 4 pumps in six weeks in FL!

After some back and forth with Rule they recommended drilling two 3/8" holes in the clamshell pickup to reduce pressure on pump. I did three. Less problems afterwards but still burn up if you suck up weed.

Reactions: Jtravis

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
@leeccoll nice clean valve. Mine is pretty bad. Going to need to put in a nice shiny one like yours soon heh. Works for now, but really hard to open and close it. You must have put in a new valve or something?

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Aaahhh I think I remember that thread. I will make sure to read over it a few times before I tackle that one as I am sure I could learn from your ordeal. Thanks Lee

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Speaking of this 330 livewell pump - I have a newer "tab to release" style on my 330, and to be honest I'm not crazy about what looks like such a fragile design in a hard to access place.

Has anyone replaced with something completely different? Or am I overreacting? High water alarm is next on my list, but the location of this pump concerns me overall.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You have one pick up and two pumps Lee, don't you?
Yes,
I guess my math is not so good. I was focused on the Rule 1100 pump, and left out the Jabcso wash down pump.
You are correct as usual Hoon!

Reactions: wrxhoon

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Aaahhh I think I remember that thread. I will make sure to read over it a few times before I tackle that one as I am sure I could learn from your ordeal. Thanks Lee
Of course, but I think you still have bigger fish to fry. :oops:

Reactions: Divajean

seasick

Reaction score
Speaking of this 330 livewell pump - I have a newer "tab to release" style on my 330, and to be honest I'm not crazy about what looks like such a fragile design in a hard to access place.

Has anyone replaced with something completely different? Or am I overreacting? High water alarm is next on my list, but the location of this pump concerns me overall.
It wasn't such a hard space to access when they built the boat:) That is until they glued on the deck!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
It wasn't such a hard space to access when they built the boat:) That is until they glued on the deck!
They must have changed the design. On my 2007 330 the pump is very easy to access from under a hatch in the aft cabin.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Make sure the electrical connections are OK. The motor may not be shot. Also note that the pump impeller may be jammed. If left on, the motor may have burned out. Problem is that if the impeller is jammed. the new motor will suffer the same fate.
Personally, if I can get to the pump without needing followup surgery, I would replace the whole unit
I gave up even trying to get to the bottom of that well on my Sailfish. That job is farmed out to my dealer. Feel your pain!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Unfortunately I have a lot of experience with the Rule bait well pumps. The one in your picture is different than the old style I had -20RR which had marking on the top to tell you to push down and turn to remove. You're going to have to remove it from the seacock at which point throw it away!

Replace it with the newer style Rule R47DR bait pump that comes with a 3-year warranty. Old style only has a 1-year warranty.

My previous experience: Have been having major problems with the Rule 20RR and 47DR over the last few years. Broken shafts and motors that stopped working. Rule has been terrific about warranty. This year I went thru 4 pumps in six weeks in FL!

After some back and forth with Rule they recommended drilling two 3/8" holes in the clamshell pickup to reduce pressure on pump. I did three. Less problems afterwards but still burn up if you suck up weed.
I got thru my 4-week winter Florida trip this year without destroying a single pump! Only clogged the bait well once with bay grass but pump was ok.