SeaDek updrade

joker

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
It looks fantastic. Great job I have my template kit for a while now just haven’t had the time lol fixing other stuff Question how was the install anything I should be aware of ? I have seen the videos on sea deck.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
It looks fantastic. Great job I have my template kit for a while now just haven’t had the time lol fixing other stuff Question how was the install anything I should be aware of ? I have seen the videos on sea deck.

I had MJ from SeaDek professionally measure the template (he used an electronic measurement tool that converts the computer diagram he creates into a CAD program for cut-out of the pieces) and install it for me.... NO WAY would I have had the lines match up perfectly like he did!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Looks great, Ken!

Joker, the pieces are peel-n-stick. Try not to put it down till you KNOW it's where you want it. Peel a corner, hold the rest in place, then pull the paper off. As far as the teak lines go, once you have the template material laid out and taped down, you'll go back around with a Sharpie (they provide a marker, as well) to do all your cut lines. "Match mark" one piece to the next by drawing a line across them. Number each piece. Draw an arrow on each piece showing "forward". Take a few pictures of the whole thing. I've done quite a few of these and by using those guidelines, the teak lines will match up since SeaDek will line it back up as they scan it. Oh, then order the "dry fit" which is a full-size, printed template of what you sent them. Only after verifying everything is good should you actually order it.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
That looks fantastic! How much, did you just buy and do the install or did you pay for the install?

And do you fish in that boat? What happens when that stuff gets all bloody et al? Does it wash off well?
And in terms of this sort of thing, is seadeck the best for babying your feet (I've got some progressive disease,
I can so justify this if it makes my feet feel better).

If it is the schnizzle for crappy feat and it works well for fishing I'm doing it.

It just looks awesome. I'm jealous!

Reactions: Finest Kind

teaklejr

Reaction score
That looks fantastic! How much, did you just buy and do the install or did you pay for the install?

And do you fish in that boat? What happens when that stuff gets all bloody et al? Does it wash off well?
And in terms of this sort of thing, is seadeck the best for babying your feet (I've got some progressive disease,
I can so justify this if it makes my feet feel better).

If it is the schnizzle for crappy feat and it works well for fishing I'm doing it.

It just looks awesome. I'm jealous!
We have a product called Hydro Deck on our boat it’s similar to SeaDek and my sister in law spilled red wine on it after a good long night, did not see it till the morning , sprayed some simple green on it and scrubbed with hard bristle brush And it came right out. So far nothing that has gotten onto our floor including oil while doing a oil change that has not come out. I assume SeaDek would be the same.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Lucky, SeaDek feels FANTASTIC underfoot. Most "teak look" installations use 6mm foam - but you can also get it made in 9mm. Maybe other thicknesses - but I amy extremely familiar with those two thicknesses.

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Gulfstream Owners:
I just had my Gulfstream patterned/templated (electronically) by Gator Step. They have not installed it yet, hopefully next week. If interested, they can now have the Gulfstream template digitized and can save you time and money. I believe they can ship the finished product to you for DIY install. I'm fortunate that they have a regional office/production facility about 1 mile from my house.
I will post pictures here once mine is finished.
Gator Step seems to be a great product. Very similar to SeaDek, but perhaps a bit firmer. One buddy just had is Riviera done by them and it came out incredible. (I have no affiliation with them).
One consideration: They say plan on a 5ish year life span., but You can get much more life if you keep the boat covered. Also, darker colors can get hot under foot, so you may need to water/cool it down occasionally on hot days.

If interested, send me a PM and I can put you in touch with the dealer that has the Gulfstream pattern.

Finest Kind: Yours looks great!

Last edited:

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I wonder how hard it will be to remove it in 5 years? I would think a nightmare for large pieces especially?

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I think you would plan to replace it instead of remove it entirely. It would be a bitch to clean all the adhesive up. Figure 7 years or so and you're in for another install.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I think you would plan to replace it instead of remove it entirely. It would be a bitch to clean all the adhesive up. Figure 7 years or so and you're in for another install.

Watch the end of this, she cleans up a 10 year old seadek mat. You might get more than 7 years.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great stuff, happy for you!!

Super nice install.

Pighunter

Reaction score
Has anyone installed seadek in a boat and then beat it up? I put ice chest, crab pots, fish guts, fish bait, blood muddy boots you name it on my deck. I like the look but I'm wondering if it's meant more for ski boats rather then a fishing boat.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good point, I am in the same boat, wondering if it would be a huge mistake.

Pighunter

Reaction score
Good point, I am in the same boat, wondering if it would be a huge mistake.
I've only seen pictures of new installs, never seen a picture of it after being abused. I don't go out and intentionally be rough on my boat but I don't want to have to constantly worry about the hurting it.

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
It is by no means bulletproof. The samples I have will gouge a bit if I test drop a screwdriver (point down) on it. It is closed cell foam, so it bounces back but you can still see where the impact was. That is a reason you should consider it to have a 5 - 7 year life span (less if you are very hard on it). I would imagine that dragging things across it will be hard on it.
You can also consider that it is protecting your deck. I would rather have a the Gator Step getting beaten up a bit than the fiberglass deck. If a piece gets particularly damaged, you can replace just the one piece. They will keep the pattern of your boat on file, so if you need a replacement piece, just give them a call.
It's not for everyone. I use my boat for fishing and family time. My wife really likes the look of it and I want her to enjoy being on the boat. It's expensive to boot...