Spring projects...

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That is unfortunate, Yeah, I paid $6,800 for mine. My old trailer had problems and to fix it was gonna be $3,200. And it was an old cheap Venture roller trailer, so I bit the bullet.

That bid sounds fair to me for whatever it is worth. Basically brings it back to close to new. Used to live in SF years ago, and kept my boat mostly at Loch Lomand Marina in San Rafael.

Lot's of cool Bay Area owners on here too!

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
That is unfortunate, Yeah, I paid $6,800 for mine. My old trailer had problems and to fix it was gonna be $3,200. And it was an old cheap Venture roller trailer, so I bit the bullet.

That bid sounds fair to me for whatever it is worth. Basically brings it back to close to new. Used to live in SF years ago, and kept my boat mostly at Loch Lomand Marina in San Rafael.

Lot's of cool Bay Area owners on here too!
Right on. I am in Lowrie’s a couple miles up from Lomond. First tried Lomond but didn’t a slip for my size. I have a sailboat in Brisbane but Lowrie marina is literally across the river from the regional Volvo Penta dealer, so I figure I’ll get some work done there before I move it.

Reactions: leeccoll

SoLucky

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
First project of the season was new LED nav lights. Bulb holders in old ones were shot and even with fresh bulbs they were hit/miss. Hopefully these fully sealed LED units will last a long time.

Other projects still on the to do list:
  • Install new Garmin Echomap 94sv and GT54 transducer
  • Replace spark plugs, clean/replace thermostats, replace water pump impeller
  • Compound & wax -- paying someone to do that!
  • New decals & hull stripe
  • Gelcoat repairs on two hatches w/ freeze damage -- will also re-bed hardware to prevent further water intrusion

04671574-60A6-4491-9D99-1FCF02EF917A.jpeg7B458020-054B-4682-AE89-B3AC0AC72E86.jpeg

bartoma

Reaction score
First project of the season was new LED nav lights. Bulb holders in old ones were shot and even with fresh bulbs they were hit/miss. Hopefully these fully sealed LED units will last a long time.

• Gelcoat repairs on two hatches w/ freeze damage -- will also re-bed hardware to prevent further water intrusion

View attachment 19425View attachment 19426
I put attwood 2 mile LED nav lights on six years ago, and they have worked flawlessly ever since...

Reactions: mleads310

bartoma

Reaction score
The time window for applying the first top coat over the last barrier coat is critical and is based mainly on ambient temperature and more importantly hull temperature.
If you wait too long, you have to lightly sand the barrier coat. Otherwise, the top coat may not stick.
Likewise, you can't apply the top coat right after painting the last barrier coat.
Finally, depending on the paint, there is a minimum wait time after the last top coat to launch.
Bottom paint is very picky about the applications instructions being followed.
Yea, I followed the directions meticulously in regards to time and temperature - just didn't work well for me... Hope this time it works a little better... At least it's below the waterline... Lol

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

View attachment 19425View attachment 19426

What brand and model did you go with? Im thinking of replacing mine...

These seem to be very side oriented....can you see from the front?

SoLucky

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What brand and model did you go with? Im thinking of replacing mine...

These seem to be very side oriented....can you see from the front?

They are from Innovative Lighting, but they are currently out of stock at Wholesale Marine (here's a link to the product page).

And, yes, they have a good field of view -- whatever it takes to be USCG certified as bow mounted red/green nav lights. As long as they are properly mounted parallel to the vessel's centerline they are visible from dead ahead, abeam, and to about 20 degrees past abeam.

Evopro54

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Rusty,
I am also thinking of replacing the sound system on my boat, and I like the Fusion head units. I would be interested in knowing more about the amps and speakers.

Hey Gull,

Rusty and I spoke about sound systems on a different thread.

I just completed a full installation of a Fusion system on my 25 Freedom and it sounds amazing. I went with (6) Fusion 6.5" Signature Series 3 speakers, 1400W 4-channel amp and MA-70 head unit. I haven't had much time to fiddle with the MA-70 head unit but so far its been good. The speakers sound incredible - the clarity and volume are out of this world - I doubt I'll ever use it to its full potential!

I installed an additional 85aH house battery for the system as well. I recommend the Fusion system.

Reactions: Gullchaser

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
My list isn't so bad I guess....all the big stuff has been done in the last few springs. This year:

Bleed the hydraulic steering....too much slop

wax the hull

Spark plugs

check out/clean/lube/adjust controls....feeling kind of stiff

Water separator

Overhead storage bag for PFD's (thanks for the idea Great Grady)

New swing back trailer jack

Regular stuff

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
The list is starting to shrink... Biggest job was sanding and painting the bottom... I then ran the 3-in1 transducer cable to the new carbon MFD... replaced cup fuel filters, oil strainers (in tank), and in-line oil filter on engine... Checked the plugs - GTG... Did the VST, silver cans, water pump, and thermostats last year... Port lower unit has a leak - after replacing the seals... So it's in the shop for further investigation...

Still planning on replacing basket filters in pumps and injectors... Also going to replace oil filters associated with remote tanks...

View attachment 19380

Nice, what did you use to sand the bottom? D/A sander with course grits? thx

Gullchaser

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Hey Gull,

Rusty and I spoke about sound systems on a different thread.

I just completed a full installation of a Fusion system on my 25 Freedom and it sounds amazing. I went with (6) Fusion 6.5" Signature Series 3 speakers, 1400W 4-channel amp and MA-70 head unit. I haven't had much time to fiddle with the MA-70 head unit but so far its been good. The speakers sound incredible - the clarity and volume are out of this world - I doubt I'll ever use it to its full potential!

I installed an additional 85aH house battery for the system as well. I recommend the Fusion system.
Thank you for the reply. I think this is the way I'm going to go. I had a fusion system on my old Wellcraft and thought it was awesome. You talked me into another one!

Reactions: Evopro54

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
This years list seems long, but hopefully all manageable in a few full days. Our first pair of HPDI's and we are going through the fuel system. Every time I give the list some thought I think of something else.

Pull Injectors and send them for service (done waiting on their return)
VST Filters
Mystery Filters in HP Fuel Pumps
Low Pressure Fuel Pumps
Spark Plugs
Upper Shaft Seals on Lower Unit
Water Pumps
Thermostats
Fix Faded Yamaha Gauges (not bad at all, there is a great YouTube video)
Replace Sending Unit (done)

Remove Previous Owners Layers of Poly-Glow (in progress)
Typical PM's and Spring Cleaning

Hoping we are setting ourselves up for success with attention to fuel system but time will tell.

bartoma

Reaction score
Nice, what did you use to sand the bottom? D/A sander with course grits? thx
Yep - Pettit recommended 80 grit, but that was a little too aggressive, so I used 100...

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Started looking at those....Pricewise at 50 or so vs 200 for Perko....Why is there such a difference in price?
I actually just purchased the attwoods on boatID for $32 each. Everywhere else was higher.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
Just went through the entire fresh water system of my new to me last year 05 Seafarer 228. That screen before the pump was totally clogged with black slime. But the pressure was still bad after spraying out the antifreeze so checked the screen and it was totally clogged again. I pulled the deck plate and the tank was really nasty so I removed it, bleached and blasted it out and and it cleaned up pretty good.
The water draw fitting on this tank is positioned a couple inches from the bottom so there is always a couple inches of stagnant water in the bottom, with only a 10 gallon tank I probably only had about 6 gallons usable. I replaced that 1/4" ID tap fitting with 3/8" barbed which gave me enough room to insert a thin 3/8" OD house with a bend so now it draws from the bottom. While i was at it I replace all the hoses and upgraded all fittings to 3/8" and installed a second hose outlet for fresh water just below the saltwater washdown and it's blasting great.

Ps, anyone know what these two hoses are that under my deck plate just below the helm?

Attachments

• 20210322_200701.jpg
    20210322_200701.jpg
    867.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210323-164739_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210323-164739_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

SoLucky

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
sure looks like fuel fill & vent hoses.... for optional tank
I was going to suggest the same. Fill and vent for Aux tank, which your boat clearly doesn't have (at least not anymore).