Still glad you "Got the Grady?"

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hay guys, take it from me. Those kids will grow up and eventually move out if you make it uncomfortable enough for them. That Grady will last longer than them and once they leave all you will have to do is sit in the captains chair and wait for the grandchildren.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This may or may not be revelant..I'll throw it on anyway..

I sold my 1992 Seafarer in ,03..I was tired of the upkeep, trailering(I live in Indiana) and all the maintenance. Plus, the 250 Yam gave me some trouble.

I was relieved from not having to deal with the responsibilities, but started feeling"funny"..A little unsettled after a year or so..
Took a couple trips to the keys with my Son in '05 and '06..Smelled the aroma of low tide at the docks..the salt air..saw the pelicans..Then it clicked and I started the hunt again.
Wound up with my current 2007 Gulfstream and have been happy as a calm ever since. I just didn't feel right without a Grady to sleep on and take trips in.
I still get tired of cleaning/waxing/trailering/etc. but I'm alrite with it as long as I take breaks.Plus, it's a much better boat, so I feel better about the upkeep.
I'm in a good place now..I'm ready to be done in the fall and am excited about beginning the season in June or so..Great boat..Love Grady's!!

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I hear you Magicalbill and feel your pain at the constant work load keeping on top of things. It certainly gets to me at times. We have a smaller "barra boat" like an aluminum bass boat; and it is so easy to run, economical, and relaxing because I'm not always thinking about whether something is working right......or at all.
I have just started to come to terms with the bigger boat stuff and am teaching myself to not sweat the problems so much. Also to do little trips on the boat occasionally, that have a high fun content, rather than a fishin' mission.....
But you are right about the smell of that salt air and the general healthiness of the oceanside and the sea. Also the greatest place (other than a farm) for kids to get an appreciation of the environment and it's importance.

OffDuty

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Only on my second Grady.

I'm only on my second grady. Made a big leap from an 1992 Overnighter to a 1998 272 Sailfish this season. Working my way to that Express 360.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
jeykl..
That may be the answer..A smaller get-around boat that one doesn't obsess over..
"Boating Without Commitment!"

OffDuty..
Neat Sailfish.
I think that may be the "Classic" Grady model..I don't think they look any better than that..
Yet..the Express line is right in there too...
However I think I'd miss the walkaround feature.

Reel yourself back in Magicalbill....Get back to Jekyl's secondary boat idea...

Barbender

Reaction score
I am new to the Grady world. After many years I finaly saved enough pesos and bought a 87 offshore 24 that has been completely refitted. I now feel like I am a member of a very elite club.

North River Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Got the Grady

I just moved up for the second time. I started w/ a 180 and then moved up to a 209 which were great boats. Yesterday I purchased a 2006 232 w/ a F250, which I have to wait until April to enjoy. I love Gradys- their finish, quality and thoughtful engineering are tough to beat. Each boat has improved my family time and fishability immensely.

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Off Duty, that’s such a nice Grady. You’ve made a similar jump in size to the one we intend to make in the coming years…from our beloved 208 to a Sailfish. I’m excited about having a hardtop someday and the platform that provides. I guess I could add one to Vedette, but then would want to combine that with a repower (E-Tec 200?) as I’m used to her get-up and go, as is. Our HPDI is truely a wonderful motor but may be underpowered with a hardtop. Looking forward to any posts about the move-up, and any pros/cons.

Jekyl and magicalbill, speaking of a small boat not be obsessed over, we keep a little Livingston in the marina we take out and cruise around and beach etc. It is so nice to not even worry about washing it off, and to literally walk away after an afternoon or evening out. Having my wife drive/steer all of the time has made all the difference to her comfort and handling of our 208.

Welcome Barbender! Vancouver Island has to be a wonderful place to have a Grady White. Forum member CJBROWN has knowledge of the area, and I hope to be able to cruise around up there.

All the best,

jfmagana

Reaction score
You betcha! I love my boat. It's been relatively trouble free and extremely safe. Sure I've had some minor problems, but my local Grady dealer has always been there to make things right (even long after it was out of warranty).

mronzo

Reaction score
Yep! Seems like most of us love our Grady's!
Now if the wind would lay down a bit we could all do some
FISHING!

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Roger that mronzo. Last weekend was the first decent wx we've had in a long while. Ocean was FLAT. We had a nice live bait trip although did not have as many strikes as is typical for this time of year. Water is warmer than normal so perhaps we will have an extended season.

PS: Going to have to wait awhile for Megabytes is for sale. I like her too much. :D

mronzo

Reaction score
I dunno! I might be looking at an Express in the future!
But I've always been a Marlin fan!

Gary M

Reaction score
Bought a 1993 208 in 1997. Made three trips to the Bahamas aboard the "Chilly Bin". Great boat that sold to the first guy who looked at her!

Next up was our 1994, 252 Sailfish "Harbournate" which we bought in 1992. Made 11 trips to the Bahamas aboard her over 4 summers. Here she is in Bimini, docked up at Sea Crest Marina. Great boat that sold to the first guy that looked at her!

Fish001.jpg

In 2006, we moved up to our current boat, a 2001 Marlin. We've upgraded it with outriggers, NavNet, all new stereo, autopilot and custom canvas. Unfortunately we blew an engine at 300 hours, but we've put 300 more on the factory re-build OX-66. Have made 11 trips to the Bahamas including an 18 day trip to the Abacos in July where we slept aboard the entire trip! Here's the "HEY MON!" over in Treasure Cay, Abaco in 2007.

Abaco2007031.jpg

Running back to Bimini, June 2009. Aft Bimini Top is retracted.

Bimini2009004.jpg

Next? Grady doesn't make a bigger version of the Marlin so we have been looking closely at some Pursuits. Not for a few more years though!