Still glad you "Got the Grady?"

ghcpa9

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
this is my first year as a grady owner and I absolutely love it. although I am biased since I've loved them since I was a kid .

When I move up years from now it will be a 305 express for sure. That may come sooner, who knows, lol.

grady forever!

Reaction score
I am just finishing up my first year with a my 2000 232 and I have to say I'm not all that happy with the ride quality, it is not as smooth as I was expecting and pretty much s&^ks in a beam sea. The rest of the boat does what we need it to do fairly well but there are alot of things I'd like to be different, so I'll research other brands when we move up.

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Great post to read! I love our 208 and even kiss her on the hull from time to time. She handles very well in crummy seas for her size, and is more stable than others in her class for sure. After 3 years and many multiple night stays on her, my wife and I now have 8ft itis and I’m focusing on a 282 within 5 years or sooner, depending on things. I have to say that keeping Vedette in a slip has been half the enjoyment, being able to just hang-out down there, quick departures etc. We have a local diver who really looks after her undersides for us and is very affordable.

But as Chris mentioned above, we have the Nordhavn bug and are seriously considering living/ working aboard one full-time…..someday….in 10+ years or so. (I've made it to my early 40s, wife late 30s) We like the N47 and the N55 is a dream to say the very least. My wife is from the UK and her father lives in France. I’m a dual U.S. /Australian citizen, plus our business has relationships in all corners of the globe…..so I guess it’s not totally crazy to have such a goal. It might even be necessary! (yeah-right)

But, I must add that it’s the quality of Grady White that led us to the quality and ownership pride of the Nordhavn family.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grady Whites , Grand Banks and Nordhavens, all great boats in their classes. Hanging around marina's for me is like a 16 year old hanging around gaming and music parlours. I can't get enough .

Living on board is certainly something I've dreamed of for many years. I was all set to buy a Grand Banks 42 classic when I was in my early 30's but even tho' i had real estate to cover the loan it was a bad time for boat finance in OZ and after 6 months of trying I moved on.

As i get older ( 56) simplicity is high on my priorities and I've come to realise the more systems on board the more there is to maintain.

I dream of an single engined Gardner , trawler with a flats boat on top and just checking out the Northern Australian coastline . "Keep It Simple Stupid" is probably meant for me........

Meanwhile my 265 provides me with the necessary saline fix.

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Jekyl, I’ve read that a properly maintained Gardner diesel can do something like 55,000 hours, or the equivalent of 11 circumnavigations, before needing an over-haul. (from 'Voyaging Under Power' 3rd edition, Beebe/Leishman)

And, “keeping it simple stupid” is the idea for sure! Combine house, boat(s) and office all into one…and a slip and storage space I’m sure….

Looking forward to coming across your trawler and the Gardner in Northern Australia someday.

In the meantime, I’ll dream of the 282 (with a portable Honda or Yamaha generator to keep it simple.)

Cheers!

GOA

Reaction score
180 Sportsman

I've had my grady for five years...was four years old when I bought her...
Not perfect, but a darn good boat

GOA :wink:

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Did you have the money in your piggy bank already or did someone have to go garantor for a loan? Who drives it? surely you can't get a licence at 4? so many questions......what will you get when you have a licence????

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I get it now....lol !! but to continue... we are on a 10+ year plan. And please note, I'm dreaming...while owning my own dream-boat, a 208. I love our boat!
I/we have no garantor and no piggy bank or trust fund. The catch could be that we don't have kids....and this allows us to rearrange our earning priorities to boating and biking, etc. We have zero debt too. Simplify.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't want to derail thigs but KingJ you bike, now I am really interested.....I bought my grady from a guy in Florida who is a mtn biking nut and I have been riding MTB's and road bikes in Oz for over 20 years.

A bike and a Boat what more could a person want?

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I mostly ride just to commute to and fro the office (and marina believe it or not) and home. Now, if they were all in one, I wouldn’t be peddling around town like Kermit the Frog. But it’s the only way I can stay fit, and it keeps the car parked…where it belongs…for around town stuff. I get addicted to riding and my body lets me know when I’ve slacked off!

My wife is the real rider. She raced Downhill Professionally at the World Cup level and reached # 9 in the world. Crazy stuff with huge, 50lb mountain bikes with 8 inches of rear suspension, and disc brakes. She mainly rides for Turner (www.turnerbikes.com -plug for Dave) but has many other makes. They use the ski-runs/chair lifts in summer and race down the mountain minus the snow. It's huge at Thredbo, Mt Kosciuszko off season. We’re still learning to combine the two, bike and boat, and Catalina Island over here is quite rugged and has many mountain bike opportunities. Even though my wife has been fully sponsored at times in her career, it was/is still an expensive thing…not like boating though. B.O.A.T. = “Break Out Another Thousand.” But, your spot-on mate, there’s something about boating and biking! And there is no place to ride (or boat and fish and dive and see) like Australia!!

Jekyl, thanks for your posts BTW. I've learned from them- especially when you had your HPDIs. Your fishing pics are A1. Post more pics of your 265 in action in Australia please.

Cheers!
Jim and Maxine

Kenlahr

Reaction score
First the Round-Tuit and now the Canyon Draggin', we are on #2 and happy with the decision to stay Grady. We looked long and hard at trailer boats; the 282 is a perfect fit for us. Although I really like the looks of the 305!

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We are going into year 3 - still very glad about it...! It was pretty tough last fall watching all of our money go away. For a while I had some buyer's remorse, but then my wife rightly pointed out that if the boat money was in the mutual funds instead of swinging on the mooring, it would have gone away too! As it is, we had a blast on it all summer with the kids and all is well...

Our long term plan is to have this boat for at least a decade - and based on the first 2 seasons, I expect it will still be in fantastic shape and will prove to have been a good investment for all of us. ...and in the meantime, we are catching fish, having beach picnics, and swimming in the sound.

Life IS good!

Patsy Mac

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Finished season #2 with my first boat, a GW 268 Islander 1998. I love that boat. I started out looking for a 22-23 foot fishing boat, and came across this beauty, and could not turn it down. I've replaced the power head after 1600 hours, and she now runs great.

I see no reason to own anything but a GW!!!

Pez Vela

Reaction score
Kinda ... sorta like it

I'm still trying to decide if I like my Grady. I bought a new 1987 Sailfish 255 in 1986, so I've only had it 23 years. I had almost made up my mind by 2005, but I repowered it and put in new fuel tanks, so it was just like a new boat. Now I have to start all over. Ask me again in 2018.

eppem

Reaction score
Grew up on Grandpas 38 Chris Craft, I owned two pursuits when I go older, a 21 and then a 22, fell in love with the 265 Express first time I saw it! Bought a used 2003 in 2006 and have not regretted one moment.

Keep the boat in the Long Island sound but will run to montauk and offshore, can take it to the beach with the kids, or spend a night on the hook with the Mrs. (one negative, only sleeps two). My fishing buds love fishing off this platform. Personal best, 170 hours this season and still counting!

Get the Grady, no doubt!

Toss in their customer service is top notch and the dealer I worked with (Boats Inc), is terrfic.

catch22

Reaction score
Re: Kinda ... sorta like it

Pez Vela said:
I'm still trying to decide if I like my Grady. I bought a new 1987 Sailfish 255 in 1986, so I've only had it 23 years. I had almost made up my mind by 2005, but I repowered it and put in new fuel tanks, so it was just like a new boat. Now I have to start all over. Ask me again in 2018.

:wink: ...... :D

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
I bought my 89 Troph pro back in 1998. We used the boat lots and had some of the best times together as a family. In 2006 I repowered with new Yamy HPDI's and once again it was like a new boat. For the year it is I really feel I got a great value and have been very happy with it.

My problem now is lack of use. :cry: My children "twin" boy and girl are now 13 and very active in sports. Dont get me wrong I think its great and I support them 100% but it does cut into boat usage. In the past we would average about 60 70 hours per season and everyone loved it. Now as of last season I put on about 23 hours and so far this season about 16 hours. Its getting harder and harder to get out and even more difficult to justify the slip fees and storage that go along with it. I really feel almost sad that a boat like this with its ability is stuck in a slip for weeks on end and nobody takes her out.

Brad1

Reaction score
RUMBLEFISH said:
My problem now is lack of use. :cry: My children "twin" boy and girl are now 13 and very active in sports. Dont get me wrong I think its great and I support them 100% but it does cut into boat usage. In the past we would average about 60 70 hours per season and everyone loved it. Now as of last season I put on about 23 hours and so far this season about 16 hours. Its getting harder and harder to get out and even more difficult to justify the slip fees and storage that go along with it. I really feel almost sad that a boat like this with its ability is stuck in a slip for weeks on end and nobody takes her out.

That was my primary reason for selling my Grady. Two very active Sons, ages 10 and 13. All their seasons overlap. It was getting harder and harder to find time to use my boat. Not to mention that it was a 145 mile drive to where I kept it. This past year I had only used it 5.5 hrs. I didn't feel right keeping it when somebody else could appreciate it.

Just the same, I will always miss that boat.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Darn those kids...
I have the same problem - a high school student in marching band, they have something going on EVERY Saturday, and he's too tired on Sunday to do anything. It's good for him, but gee, the boat, the motorhome, and the dirtbikes are just sitting there while I make payments. And I'm getting bored.:evil:

Oh well, wifey and I make it out often for at least a harbor cruise and a cocktail, with or without friends. At least we get some sun and sea air, relax a little. I need to get re-enthused about fishing and get my butt moving earlier. The palegics never quite made it up past San Diego this year and that was a little discouraging. I really need to get out and pull some lobster, season is in full swing.

Our hours are down this year as well, about 70 vs 100+ from previous years. We are 25 miles from the launch, boat is stored half-way. Pick it up on the way out, can be launched and motoring away within about 40 minutes. A full cover keeps it clean and ready to go.