Still glad you "Got the Grady?"

townvet

Reaction score
My first Grady lasted 72 days and that is all it took to fall in deep amore with our Gulfstream 232. But none the less on a rainy day in Late summer I made the fateful mistake of going down to see the 336 Canyon. I could not resist and by the next week it was in our slip and in our hearts. Many great days lie ahead for us on the new boat. Thanks Grady White for making such great boats that allow us to make the great memories.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just put her away for the season (#3) and I have to say, that just like my first 282, the 300 is darn near flawless.

I had a tilt motor go this year on one of the F250s, and it was hauled and swapped out promptly by the dealer under warranty - not even a question or bill. I had the seastar power steering notice addressed (proactivley when brought in) as well.

I'd buy another at some point, but I'd really like a 33 walk versus the 33 express.

With 4 kids and the first going to college next year, I'll likely have this one for many years to come.

The only complaint is that some of the canvas bullet style snaps are impossible to snap above the front windshield, I've learned to live with it.

wireline

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I'm on my second. Fist was 69 17' Pamlicos,kept her 16yrs. fourth season for the 190, goal =22-23. Only a Grady can replace another Grady, gota have one

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fishtales said:
The only complaint is that some of the canvas bullet style snaps are impossible to snap above the front windshield, I've learned to live with it.

Sorry to de-rail, i had the same problem on mine and what i did was on hot day and with the help of a hair dryer got it really hot and pull them to place, mine, one of them was almost 1/2" away. Did this last year and is still holding in place.

Sands

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
Just put her away for the season (#3) and I have to say, that just like my first 282, the 300 is darn near flawless.

I had a tilt motor go this year on one of the F250s, and it was hauled and swapped out promptly by the dealer under warranty - not even a question or bill. I had the seastar power steering notice addressed (proactivley when brought in) as well.

I'd buy another at some point, but I'd really like a 33 walk versus the 33 express.

With 4 kids and the first going to college next year, I'll likely have this one for many years to come.

Grady White has an inexpensive special tool for this.

midnight-rider

Reaction score
ON MY THIRD

my first was a 1986 19' tournamant with a 175 I.O. second was 1989 overnighter with a 200 hp Yamaha and currently a 1999 23' gulfstream with a singel 225 yamaha. If I could go up it would be the 30' marlin with twin 250 yamahas....................sweet

Sands

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
The tool is to un-snap them.

I'm talking about the SNAP-PRO-PLUS. And it does both. In fact, it has TWO ways to snap the canvas, with either the keyhole end or the flat end. It retails for about $25.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Love my Grady-White. And, I love the fact the company has been around for 50 years (as old as me) and has survived this past year (hard to do). Great service and support which becomes more and more important at the boat ages. Equally impressed and super happy with the four stroke Yamahas. Fantastic engines.

Bought a 2005 228 with an F225 + T8 and loved it and used it for 3 years.
Now I'm the very very happy owner of a 2003 265 Express with twin F225's. For my use, this is probably all the boat I will ever need but I once said that about my 228...

Keep it up Grady. Whatever you're doing, it's working for me!

F18amec

Reaction score
Absolutley! End of my 1st summer and so far she has lived up to the reputation. I bought the Grady/Yamaha combo on reputation alone. Haven't taken her out into "big water" yet, just cheaspeake bay and currituck sound, but that'll be soon enough. Only change is the 150 is little under powered, IF I trade her in I'd move up power to a 175 or 200.
Great Boat! I'm sold on Grady!

Rick
Huki Lau2
[/i][/b]

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As president of the Marlin Fan Club, I will love mine. :D

It will soon be 6 years old and still feels new. Replacing the canvas last year with top end custom work really made the boat feel new again. I especially like the ivory vinyl.

The Marlin is the first of my 3 GWs to suppress 2 ft itis. This is partially because it is the largest our marina will handle but also because it fits my needs and likes so darn well. It is very hard to suggest improvements or changes for the model aside from a helm deck air option and a house battery.

I will probably keep Megabytes for 10 years (four more) and replace her with another 300. I just hope GW doesn't drop the model or make unpleasant changes.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I looked at different boats for 3 years and have owned 5 bass boats and I wanted to start salt water fishing and my wife wanted me to get a cuddy cabin.
After all the searching I found a very clean 1996 voyager and I know some say it's not set up well for salt water fishing but the first step on the grady I knew it was the boat for us and we love it. Can't see any reason to change.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Sorry to go back to this, but I have the plastic snap tool. The metal piece on the canvas fits over the bullet without having to heat it too.

About 4 of the flat metal pieces will not snap over the bullet no matter how much pressure I use. I've tried adjusting the metal wire inside the snap, but still unable to get it snapped into place.

Any help appreciated....

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Our first Grady ride was in my brother's 1984 192 nearly 2 decades ago in Wilmington, NC. We bought a 1998 used 192 in 2002 and this year traded her in for a new left over 228. We love it and I am glad I got the Grady....

about 3 years ago were in the fla keys..went fishing off of Key Largo came back in and took the kids snorkling at Molasses and White Banks reefs...a nasty storm blew in quickly with 50 mph straightline winds. The seas in Hawk Channel stood up straight with 4 to 5 foot choppy garbage water and we were caught in the mess :shock: . Our 192 handled it very well. Not saying I want to do it again, but I was glad I got the Grady :D ....

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Love my little Grady...but given the opportunity, I would take one of these:

43image_enlarge.jpg

Put a 15' RIB on deck with a 50 horse outboad and I'd still have my 'little boat' when I got to where I was going.

Frankly, this is on the 5-10 year plan where we could either mostly or fully live aboard.

I think I would be able to 'let go' of my Grady pretty easily. 8)

exudedude

Reaction score
I love my Grady, my only regret is I think I bought a little too old(1990 232) all of her little quirks and issues are really starting to pop up. What was gonna be a slow restore has turned into a all out war.

But for her hours and age she is a great vessel and well worth the 8k I spent. By this time next year she will be ready for another 20 yrs.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
magicalbill said:
CJ..Is that a Nordhaven Motorsailor?

Nordhavn 43.
They don't sail, although they do offer a new 56' motorsailer, and at least one of the original 46's had sails fitted to her. They do have a 'mast' though, to hoist the dinghy and to fit paravanes (flopper-stoppers). With the more modern hydraulic and gyroscopic controlled stabilizer fins not all run paravanes as well. Their range is 2500-3500 miles, and they have a 'wing engine' or 'get-home' auxilliary with a feathering prop. Water maker, two radars, and a real engine room.

My favorite is the 40. It's a little less $$, and a little more compact. Has the master cabin in the eyes instead of amidships. I wish I could do something now on a '02 40 footer in Seattle listed for $375K. A new one is over six bills fit out. I'm hoping real estate values at least come back enough to get me into one in 5-10 years. I've got about 15 to retire.

KingJ here, my 208 buddy turned me on to these. Maybe we'll both end up with one. :mrgreen:

Check them out at www.nordhavn.com
40' to 120' You Grady guys will love the 75 sport fisher, by golly. These are the people that took the group of 18 of them across the Atlantic in '04, many have circumnavigated, some several times. And they took a 40 footer around the world in 165 days, just over 24,000 miles just to prove it could be done.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Interesting..
I always enjoy hearing about peoples future plans..
So you are thinking of ultimately living aboard?
Those Nordhavns are beauts..I also like the Grand Banks Line.

Like you, there would have to be an upswing in the real estate market for me to jump into a similar boat.
However, even if I did, I would want to keep my Gulfstream around in a storage facility or something for snorkeling in the Keys, Great Lakes runs, etc.
I can easily spend a couple weeks aboard my 232, no prob. Obviously they would have to come out with a liveaboard-friendly model for extended stays.

That's probably a ways off and I would imagine outboard power wouldn't be the wisest choice for long distance cruising.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grady number three for us: 175, 208, 258. Maybe a Marlin in the future? I dunno, every time I go there the admiral starts talking about furniture, new car, new house .... and then I stop listening.

Rob