Too Short to See Over Windshield! Step Suggestions?

DonW

Reaction score
Hi,
'98 Adventure 208 owner here. While standing at the helm, I am too tall to see below the windshield, too short to see above, so my line of vision is the top of the windshield ( I'm 5'8"). I have stood on life jackets and seat cushions, but would like to find or make something that would be a bit more stable.
Wondering if anyone else has this problem, and what their solutions are, any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I know your pain. Same issue with my 228. Haven’t worked out a solution yet.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
On my 268 Islander the top of the windshield is in the middle of my field of view. I'm 6'. When sitting I can see thru the windshield but the top of the electronics is my lower border. When standing I can see over the windshield. I did the enclosure work and worked hard to minimize the transition. Its still 1 1/2" and as good as you can get it.

The newer models have gone to a taller hard windshield. Looks good but expensive/impractical to do on a custom basis.

I have thought about eliminating the windshield completely and doing a Makrolon polycarbonate enclosure with track along old windshield lines. This is how all the big boats are done.

New Enclosure.jpg

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
On my 208, I installed a pedestal extender from Arrigoni
. It slips over the original tube and extends the height by 6 inches.
That was too much for me, so I cuttoff about 2 inches. The sleeve is quite thick and if you are going to shorten it it off, the best approach is to use a metal lathe.
I have had it for several years and is does note wobble at all. It is very well made.
The downside is that if I sit on the seat, I can see OK but my feet don't reach the deck, so I have to use the foot rest or let my feet dangle.

Here is a link to the product

You could also trim the original pedestal height and that cut doesn't have to be perfect. That would be my suggestion if you don't have access to a lathe or machine shop but I didn't do that so that I could return the arrangement back to original just by removing the extender.
Picking the right length is also a bit tricky, you have to install whatever cushion yo normally sit on and then add extra thickness to get a measurement of how much height you want to add. Subtract that from 6 inches and that is how much you need to trim off the top.

I did extensive research for an adjustable pedestal that would fit the 208 but I could not find any with the flat side base.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You could easily make some type of sturdy box, which could also double as storage. I'd make it very close to the exact footprint of the existing footwell area, using existing structures to hold it in place (walls, seat bases, etc). You want to be able to remove it when necessary, so don't make it "wall to wall" tight. A couple built in holes for handles or even use rope handles. Use a piano hinge on top for the box lid so everything stays flush.

Get creative - imagine what you want it to be and make it so!

J-cubed

Reaction score
I own a 97 208 Adventure and suffered the same problem being 5'7". I found a helm step for mine years ago which works great. I don't think that they make it anymore. You might look into a custom helm riser from Boat Outfitters or something similar. I modified mine in order to get the right height.

davescarp

Reaction score
I don't know if I saw it on here or THT, but someone had a helm riser built out of starboard that was hinged so you could store some stuff inside it, and had and EVA helm pad on top for some cushioning. it looked super slick but i'm sure it was $$$. custom boat outfitters job I'd guess.

DonW

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. In the back of the garage i found a bunch of anti-fatigue mats that I am now cutting into a step and bolting together, roughly 4 inches thick or so.
We will see how this goes before moving on to something more permanent!

ttles714

Reaction score
LOL .... one size does not fit all !!! .... For me on my "o7 Marlin and 5'5"" height ..... this worked
Standing >>>A milk crate with a 3/4 inch plywood cover with 3/4 inch of foam glued to it ... (storage too)
Sitting >>>> removed the original seat pedestal and installed a taller one ...

Reactions: Holokai

Willy-C

Reaction score
I have a 19’ Tourney and I have about the same problem, a 4” height extension would be perfect to see just over the windshield. I need to make up a riser extension.

B_Darling

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Same boat...literally and figuratively. 95 Adventure, 5'6" here. I made a 3" stool out of white oak and painted it with rustoleum 2X ultra-coat off-white this past winter. I put little rubber feet on the underside of the stool to protect the gel coat underneath. working well so far. A little hard to see in the photo, but you get the idea

Attachments

• IMG_2537.jpg
    IMG_2537.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Same issue here. I put down some dry deck mat first, so area would drain. Then I added two layers of Sea-Shox at 1.5" each. That gave me great visibility, but I found that also raised my lower back a bit too high to hit the seat bolster just right. So on longer runs, I'll push one sea-shox out of the way.

Rob

DonW

Reaction score
OP here. We will see how this works. 4x4 foam fatigue mats cut roughly in half, bolted together, strips on bottom to drain and protect.

Attachments

• Grady Boost.jpg
    Grady Boost.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 32

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
For my 252G, I purchase the 3/4" thick foam exercise mats from Amazon and glue them together with Contact Cement. For me, I make it 1-1/2" thick, so double layer. That makes it about right for me and is great for shock absorbing. I taper the edges with a saw to reduce the trip hazard.
I have found that the spray contact cement does not work. Get the stuff in the quart or gallon size can.
I replace it about every 2 years as they start to deteriorate in the elements. I can't find a single thickness anywhere so far.

DonW

Reaction score
Same issue here. I put down some dry deck mat first, so area would drain. Then I added two layers of Sea-Shox at 1.5" each. That gave me great visibility, but I found that also raised my lower back a bit too high to hit the seat bolster just right. So on longer runs, I'll push one sea-shox out of the way.

Rob
2 layers of Sea-Shox is a bit pricey for me, that's 400 bucks or so? https://www.amazon.com/SKYDEX-Sea-S...ce959475cf48c3ed944c5909ae1d52&language=en_US

DonW

Reaction score
For my 252G, I purchase the 3/4" thick foam exercise mats from Amazon and glue them together with Contact Cement. For me, I make it 1-1/2" thick, so double layer. That makes it about right for me and is great for shock absorbing. I taper the edges with a saw to reduce the trip hazard.
I have found that the spray contact cement does not work. Get the stuff in the quart or gallon size can.
I replace it about every 2 years as they start to deteriorate in the elements. I can't find a single thickness anywhere so far.
On a similar note, I can't find small tubes of contact cement for small jobs up here in MA, only half pint and above. Is it like a huffing thing? I get "carded" when I get the pint.
I thought that went out in the 70's...

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I got a quart on amazon. No carding or sniff testing!

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Don. I misspoke when I wrote Sea Shox. Below is what I used. Can’t remember name, but it’s a moot point since they’re not around anymore. And I like them better than Sea Shox and they were $69 each, of I remember correctly.

1624648902944.jpeg