Trailer Winch strap Orientation on 208 Adventurer?

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks guys! I park the boat and loosen all the straps. That said, there is very little bounce when I unhook the strap. I also uses another strap the snugs the boat down to the trailer to eliminate bounce. I'll take a closer look this weekend.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks guys! I park the boat and loosen all the straps. That said, there is very little bounce when I unhook the strap. I also uses another strap the snugs the boat down to the trailer to eliminate bounce. I'll take a closer look this weekend.
Often times what you are currently doing is just fine. Snugging underneath the bow eye is just one of those "best practice" things. Meaning, it can only make things better.

Oceangeek

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
UPDATE: I took off the winch, after 24 years there was quite a bit of rust and deterioration. Instead of cleaning it up with rust remover I just bought a brand new winch. I raised my pacific trailer two inches, and reversed the strap. I feel this is in a much better, straight position now. The Reese winch I purchased can go both directions with a pull tab so no worries there. (it looks yellowed because I just sprayed it with anti-corrosion spray).
Thank you everybody for the knowledge and insight!

Attachments

• IMG_7366.JPG
    IMG_7366.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: Halfhitch

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I like to have a tie down from bow eye to trailer. I used to use a chain and turnbuckle. I have a pair of boat buckles at the moment. Without it, if the winch strap gives way the loose chain will let it bounce all over the place.

seasick

Reaction score
winch looks OK but that carabiner has to go. Get the proper hook and make sure that chain has welded links and strong enough

Reactions: Oceangeek

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seasick beat me to it....that chain setup won’t hold the boat if you have to stop short. Go with a shackle and hook on some heavier galvanized chain.

Oceangeek

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Seasick beat me to it....that chain setup won’t hold the boat if you have to stop short. Go with a shackle and hook on some heavier galvanized chain.
Will Do!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Getting better with the winch and strap, for sure! Looks like you can lower the winch a few more inches, still.

But, yeah... that SS snap hook? Probably only has a few hundred - maybe 500 at the most - working load limit. It looks good, but it's pretty much useless if needed. By far, it's the "weak link" in the chain. Compare that to something like 5/16" chain where the working load is at least a ton (for the cheap stuff).

Oceangeek

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Getting better with the winch and strap, for sure! Looks like you can lower the winch a few more inches, still.

But, yeah... that SS snap hook? Probably only has a few hundred - maybe 500 at the most - working load limit. It looks good, but it's pretty much useless if needed. By far, it's the "weak link" in the chain. Compare that to something like 5/16" chain where the working load is at least a ton (for the cheap stuff).
Good to know. First boat with not a lot of experience in these types of things so I appreciate the input. Crazily enough, the original owner didn't even have a chain on it. He was just relying off the old winch and strap. I just put this chain and carabiner on when I got it. What type of hook should I get to replace the carabiner?
Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you're just looking for the chain to be a backup for the strap - and not something that you are "tightening" every time, the type of hook on your strap will work and you can use a proper sized shackle to connect the chain to the hook. Or, just use a shackle - they're inexpensive and have great holding power.